Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Brown Hockey 2012-2013:Climbing the ECAC Ladder

Originally posted by defkit View Post
    Bonino played three seasons. He was a sophomore in 2009 when BU won it all, and should have been the MOP of the NCAA tournament, as it was his G & A in the last minute that tied up the game against Miami. Bonino returned for his Junior season, a disappointing one for him, Shattenkirk and company. At some point, he was traded by the Sharks to the Ducks, and he signed after his Junior season. He became a regular on the Ducks roster over the second half of last season. Bonino was not involved in any team misconduct, he was long gone before last year. Those would be Trivino and Nicastro. Incidentally, charges against both of them have been dropped.
    Wasn't there also an issue with the Cohens a couple years before the most recent incident?

Comment

No off-ice discipline issues for either Zach Cohen or Colby Cohen. Parker had considered dumping Zach after the 2007-08 season, but that was over on-ice matters (unsatisfactory performance). The 08-09 captains went to bat for Zach and got JP to reconsider--which worked out well since Zach had a breakout season. Colby, IIRC, was benched once or two for ineffective play/decision-making in the defensive zone. So now you've been wrong about several players.
      The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
        No off-ice discipline issues for either Zach Cohen or Colby Cohen. Parker had considered dumping Zach after the 2007-08 season, but that was over on-ice matters (unsatisfactory performance). The 08-09 captains went to bat for Zach and got JP to reconsider--which worked out well since Zach had a breakout season. Colby, IIRC, was benched once or two for ineffective play/decision-making in the defensive zone. So now you've been wrong about several players.
        Thanks for the info, and for being condescending about my failure to know details about other schools' programs. My sincerest apologies for being curious and ill-informed.

Comment

Originally posted by REDaero91 View Post
          Both Jerry D'Amigo and Brandon Pirri left RPI after one season. Jerry ended up getting sent back to junior (Kitchener Rangers, OHL) for about a third of the next season (he did also play in the WJC), but this past year (2011-2012) he made it to the Calder Cup finals with the Toronto Marlies (AHL). Pirri has spent the majority of the past two seasons with the Rockford Ice Hogs (AHL), but has played a handful of games for Chicago in the NHL when they had injuries.
          In my opinion Jerry D'Amigo left colllege too early for his own development. He was such a dominant player at the 2010 World Junior Championships (won by the United States), a real treat to watch. Even my young nephew, who was visiting from Brazil, of all places, became a D'Amigo fan -- and ended up receiving an autographed poster through mutual friends of mine and the d'Amigo family. At the 2011 WJC D'Amigo was a shadow of his former hockey self. I believe he would have received better coaching and would have had a better, less pressured opportunity to mature at RPI.
          Last edited by Euler18; 06-26-2012, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
            It's great to get a kid like Roy, but unless they back it up with future strong commits, it will all be for nothing. I see Roy as a 2 year player.
            I can't agree with you more. But let me point out that there is at least another strong offensive player in the incoming class, Nick Lappin (F). It's also expected that some of the current players will continue to develop their offensive skills, especially Ryan Jacobsen (F), who scored 12 goals as a freshman, and Matt Lorito (F), who's a wizzard with the puck. These are high caliber players. And looking ahead into 2013 and beyond, I will say that the future looks much brighter than three years ago.

We also needed to shore up the defense. I believe we have done that with the addition of Brandon Pfeil and Nate Widman. I also think that Kyle Quick has the potential to become an offensive force at the blue line. He's a very smooth skater and puckhandler. Again, 2013 and beyond looks bright.

This coaching staff is not afraid of pursuing the most talented players they can get past the admissions office, and believes that Brown can win at least some of the recruiting battles for the best players.
            Last edited by Euler18; 06-26-2012, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
              Let's just enjoy the moment - Kevin has committed to Brown. His drafting is a good indicator that his USHL record was no fluke and he is truly talented. He brings major excitement to a program on the rise. Let him play before speculating if he is a short-timer.
              Agreed. Despite his skills, Kevin Roy is not ready for professional hockey yet. He's a relatively small player, who needs to mature physically. He's also supposed to be an intelligent kid, who takes care of his academics. Therefore, college seems the best route for him to grow as a athlete and as a person. I believe he'll eventually make it in the hockey world, but even if he doesn't, an Ivy League degree will open many doors and essentially ensure a good income for the rest of his life.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
                There was a few years of garbage after they graduated before we got to see some exciting players in Aaron Volpatti (now with Vancouver), Harry Z (now with the Flyers), and Jack Maclellan (signed by Nashville, but I don't think he's played for them yet).
                Garbage? Really?? I think you need to get a little perspective. These are students who were talented enough academically and athletically to qualify to get in to Brown. I understand that you have a burning desire to win, but I don't think it is appropriate to label those players who represented Brown over the years not named Volpatti, HarryZ, or Maclellan as "garbage".

Comment

Originally posted by Euler18 View Post
                  In my opinion Jerry D'Amigo left colllege too early for his own development. He was such a dominant player at the 2010 World Junior Championships (won by the United States), a real treat to watch. Even my young nephew, who was visiting from Brazil, of all places, became a D'Amigo fan -- and ended up receiving an autographed poster through mutual friends of mine and the d'Amigo family. At the 2011 WJC D'Amigo was a shadow of his former hockey self. I believe he would have received better coaching and would have had a better, less pressured opportunity to mature at RPI.
                  Yeah, we tend to agree on that. It's funny though, when Pirri and D'Amigo jumped ship (happened fairly close together) most thought Pirri was making a bigger mistake and that D'Amigo was better suited to the pros at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
                    I thought he was the one who was dumped for attending a final instead of an optional practice. I could be wrong, but with the sexual assaults, the flunkouts, the disciplinary issues, it's tough to keep track of which BU player got kicked out for which reason anymore.
                    Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

• Re: Brown Hockey 2012-2013:Climbing the ECAC Ladder

Originally posted by Brunofan View Post
                      Garbage? Really?? I think you need to get a little perspective. These are students who were talented enough academically and athletically to qualify to get in to Brown. I understand that you have a burning desire to win, but I don't think it is appropriate to label those players who represented Brown over the years not named Volpatti, HarryZ, or Maclellan as "garbage".
                      I loved the players, but the results were awful. Year-by-year, from the last time we hosted a playoff series (04-05) until Whittet's first year, when we finally got some hope:

05-06: 5-20-7
                      06-07: 11-15-6
                      07-08: 6-21-4
                      08-09: 5-23-5

Overall, that's a 27-81-22 record. Excluding ties, our winning percentage for that era was .250. That's unbelievably bad!

Since Brendan took over, we've gone 13-20-4 (with an ECAC Final Four appearance), 10-16-5 (with a one-and-done in the playoffs), and 9-18-5 (which was a bit of a step back, especially considering another playoff shellacking at the hands of Quinnipiac).

That's 32-54-14, which still isn't great, but is MUCH better than the years preceding it. I think the biggest plus of the Whittet tenure has been that we all now have hope and expectations (albeit, modest ones) for this team, which could really only be said a couple times over the past decade and a half. We have better players and better coaching than we did from 05-09. You're right in that it's wrong for me to call my own team garbage; that's not fair to the student-athletes who devote so much time and effort to the team.

However, you must recognize that those four teams were really, REALLY bad (and downright awful, in a couple cases).

Comment

There is no disputing your numbers - or your description of the team being bad to downright awful over the years. But it looks like you recognize that labeling them as 'garbage' is not fair to the players who wore the jersey and gave it there best shot. We'll leave it at that and hope for better years to come.

Comment

Euler - Did you crack the whip? Master motivator? Whatever you did, keep it up!!

http://www.brownbears.com/sports/m-h...20120626h5tpwn

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
                            Euler - Did you crack the whip? Master motivator? Whatever you did, keep it up!!

http://www.brownbears.com/sports/m-h...20120626h5tpwn
                            In my twenty-three years with the program I can only remember five recruited student athletes who didn't graduate from Brown. One transfered to Williams after his freshman year. Another transfered to Middlebury. The other two went back to Canada, one after his first semester at Brown and the other after two years. And, tragically, the fifth one committed suicide after his first semester. He was a kid I really liked, so nice, polite, intelligent, and with solid hockey skills -- a real loss.

I've worked with three head coaches: Bob Gaudet, Roger Grillo, and Brendan Whittet. The three of them have underscored the importance of academics.

It helps that the coaches have not pursued players who are not ready academically for Brown, and the admissions office wouldn't have let them in anyway. Some young men we could not finish recruiting because of unsound academics have ended up at rival schools, sometimes in the ECAC, sometimes in Hockey East. They uniformly seem to play well against Brown...
                            Last edited by Euler18; 06-28-2012, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Euler18 View Post
                              In my twenty-three years with the program I can only remember five recruited student athletes who didn't graduate from Brown. One transfered to Williams after his freshman year. Another transfered to Middlebury. The other two went back to Canada, one after his first semester at Brown and the other after two years. And, tragically, the fifth one committed suicide after his first semester. He was a kid I really liked, so nice, polite, intelligent, and with solid hockey skills -- a real loss.

I've worked with three head coaches: Bob Gaudet, Roger Grillo, and Brendan Whittet. The three of them have underscored the importance of academics.

It helps that the coaches have not pursued players who are not ready academically for Brown, and the admissions office wouldn't have let them in anyway. Some young men we could not finish recruiting because of unsound academics have ended up at rival schools, sometimes in the ECAC, sometimes in Hockey East. They uniformly seem to play well against Brown...
                              I can think of one other who left for Miami of Ohio. Either way, the men recruited to Brown by all of those coaches have all graduated. That's an incredible percentage. And yes, I can think of several near misses who killed us over the years!

Comment

Interesting blog posting by Ken Schott on the doings of several Union players:

http://www.dailygazette.com/weblogs/...evelopment-ca/

Comment

Working...
                                X