Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Brown Hockey 2012-2013:Climbing the ECAC Ladder

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
    A good class, but it needs to be followed up with another.
    Actually, two good classes, to be followed by a third one that on paper is also beginning to look good (if the information on Chris Heisenberg's page is accurate -- and it generally is): Andre Doane, Cameron Romoff, Tyler Wood and Zack Pryzbeck are all good players, especially the latter two.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
      A good point! This can't be it; we need to continue to build with similarly-promising classes each year going forward.

But, I'm still pretty happy about the current incoming class and excited for the upcoming season. We could see a rough start with so much youth and a somewhat challenging schedule in the fall (Ivy Showcase, at Harvard/Dartmouth, hosting SLU and Clarkson, Mayor's Cup, Yale twice, hosting Union/RPI), but I think we have a good chance to make the leap into the home-ice discussion.
      I agree but I am still nervous about the goalie situation. Firs time in many years that Brown does not have that "lights out" goalie at least on paper. P.erhaps the older Roy is a sleeper.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
        I agree but I am still nervous about the goalie situation. Firs time in many years that Brown does not have that "lights out" goalie at least on paper. P.erhaps the older Roy is a sleeper.
        Oh. Forgot about that, with all the excitement surrounding the skaters in the class.

Hey, DeFilippo's looked promising at times. Maybe he can find some consistency and bridge the gap until we find our true "guy" in one of the upcoming classes. And you never know about the incoming guy (Roy). His numbers don't pop out as a lights-out goalie, but you just never know.

Comment

Originally posted by Euler18 View Post
          KEVIN ROY NAMED TO TEAM CANADA FOR THE CANADA-RUSSIA CHALLENGE

Hockey Canada has announced the 28-player roster that will represent Canada in the 2012 Canada-Russia Challenge in August. This event will replace Canada’s National Junior Team summer development camp this season.

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.php.../ss_id/190000/

Here's the complete roster:

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.php.../ss_id/190000/

When was the last time that Brown had a truly elite scoring threat? Bill Gilligan?

Even Brown's best forwards have been grinders with some skill. Maybe Roy can be the guy to elevate the program and put some fannies in the seats at Meehan?

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
            When was the last time that Brown had a truly elite scoring threat? Bill Gilligan?

Even Brown's best forwards have been grinders with some skill. Maybe Roy can be the guy to elevate the program and put some fannies in the seats at Meehan?
            Damian Prescott was pretty fantastic in the mid-late '90's. But since then...meh. There was some decent talent during the Danis era (Robertson, Haggett, Ihnacak when he decided to put forth a good effort), but even those guys weren't truly elite. There was a few years of garbage after they graduated before we got to see some exciting players in Aaron Volpatti (now with Vancouver), Harry Z (now with the Flyers), and Jack Maclellan (signed by Nashville, but I don't think he's played for them yet).

Jack Mac, who just graduated, was an elite talent, but sometimes struggled with inconsistency and tried to put the team on his back too much. He wasn't really a grinder like Harry or Volpatti; he was definitely a sniper/dangler. But at the same time, he wasn't nearly as talented as this Roy kid seems to be. We should be in for a few fun years, even if we don't win anything.

Comment

BROWN SECOND NATIONALLY IN DIVISION I APR RANKINGS -- MEN'S AND WOMEN'S ICE HOCKEY RECOGNIZED

http://brownbears.com/genrel/ncaaapr2012

Both men's and women's ice hockey APR has been 1,000 for the past couple of seasons.

All six hockey-playing Ivy schools were commended. The Ivy League was the only Division I league to have received commendations for each one of its football teams.
              Last edited by Euler18; 06-21-2012, 08:53 PM.

Comment

KEVIN ROY PICKED IN THE FOURTH ROUND (97 OVERALL) BY THE MIGHTY DUCKS

Another story about Roy, including the now famous YouTube video:
                http://lastwordonsports.com/2012/06/...-61-kevin-roy/

Comment

Originally posted by Euler18 View Post
                  KEVIN ROY PICKED IN THE FOURTH ROUND (97 OVERALL) BY THE MIGHTY DUCKS

Another story about Roy, including the now famous YouTube video:
                  http://lastwordonsports.com/2012/06/...-61-kevin-roy/
                  This is great, but with the hockey factories still pursuing him, is he going to honor his commitment to Brown?

Comment

Originally posted by Brown09 View Post
                    This is great, but with the hockey factories still pursuing him, is he going to honor his commitment to Brown?
                    Probably at least one year. It's usually only the first rounders that leave right away (even Louis LeBlanc of Harvard didn't stay too long). Plus, the Ducks have been known to let college players pan out for at least a while. A couple of examples include Gabe Guentzel of Colorado College and Ryan Hegarty, who stayed with Maine for a couple years.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                      Probably at least one year. It's usually only the first rounders that leave right away (even Louis LeBlanc of Harvard didn't stay too long). Plus, the Ducks have been known to let college players pan out for at least a while. A couple of examples include Gabe Guentzel of Colorado College and Ryan Hegarty, who stayed with Maine for a couple years.
                      Well, that's reassuring. Another current Duck (though he was drafted by the Sharks), Nick Bonino of BU, also played at least 2-3 seasons before jumping ship to the NHL. Or he might have been one of the many BU players kicked out for juvenile/criminal behavior recently. I'm not quite sure on the details.

In any event, if Johnny Gaudreau is sticking it out with BC for at least another year, I see no reason to believe Roy, who was picked in the same round but is thought to be less talented, would choose any different fate. Unless he transfers elsewhere.

As for your own school, didn't Jerry D'Amigo leave after just a season? Is he even playing in the NHL now, or did he just waste an opportunity at a terrific education for no good reason?

Comment

Originally posted by Brown09 View Post
                        Let's just enjoy the moment - Kevin has committed to Brown. His drafting is a good indicator that his USHL record was no fluke and he is truly talented. He brings major excitement to a program on the rise. Let him play before speculating if he is a short-timer.

Comment

As for your own school, didn't Jerry D'Amigo leave after just a season? Is he even playing in the NHL now, or did he just waste an opportunity at a terrific education for no good reason?
                          Both Jerry D'Amigo and Brandon Pirri left RPI after one season. Jerry ended up getting sent back to junior (Kitchener Rangers, OHL) for about a third of the next season (he did also play in the WJC), but this past year (2011-2012) he made it to the Calder Cup finals with the Toronto Marlies (AHL). Pirri has spent the majority of the past two seasons with the Rockford Ice Hogs (AHL), but has played a handful of games for Chicago in the NHL when they had injuries.

Comment

It's great to get a kid like Roy, but unless they back it up with future strong commits, it will all be for nothing. I see Roy as a 2 year player.
                            Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

As RA said. However, one reason I think of it as apples and oranges is because what the kids do also has a dependency on the team that drafts them. Take a look at someone like Jamie Oleksiak, drafted by the Dallas Stars. Obviously I'm not going to completely denounce their choices in developing players as RPI also had a recent Dallas defenceman pick in Mike Bergin (although perhaps a freshman year injury changed that outlook), but there are some clubs that will request that their draft picks, especially the higher ones, play in MJ because it is a schedule similar to the NHL that they will experience. Meanwhile, there are other clubs that will let their players stay the course. I'm actually surprised that a club like Toronto is looking toward the NCAA, unless the motive is to poach our players.

Comment

Well, that's reassuring. Another current Duck (though he was drafted by the Sharks), Nick Bonino of BU, also played at least 2-3 seasons before jumping ship to the NHL. Or he might have been one of the many BU players kicked out for juvenile/criminal behavior recently. I'm not quite sure on the details.
                                Bonino played three seasons. He was a sophomore in 2009 when BU won it all, and should have been the MOP of the NCAA tournament, as it was his G & A in the last minute that tied up the game against Miami. Bonino returned for his Junior season, a disappointing one for him, Shattenkirk and company. At some point, he was traded by the Sharks to the Ducks, and he signed after his Junior season. He became a regular on the Ducks roster over the second half of last season. Bonino was not involved in any team misconduct, he was long gone before last year. Those would be Trivino and Nicastro. Incidentally, charges against both of them have been dropped.
                                BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Working...
                                X