Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Brown Hockey 2012-2013:Climbing the ECAC Ladder

Originally posted by Euler18 View Post
    Brendan Whittet merits serious consideration for ECAC Coach of the Year.
    I think it's impossible to not consider him. I know we won't finish with one of the better records in the league, but this team should have finished dead last in light of the various injuries and inconsistent scoring that have plagued it. And yet, with two games to go, it could conceivably receive a first round bye. Whittet has done a masterful job this year, both tactically and in terms of keeping his guys focused and motivated. Bravo.

Comment

Originally posted by Brown09 View Post
      If recruiting, rather than coaching, was all that mattered, Roger Grillo would have won a few ECAC titles and possibly a national title.
      Bingo!

Biggest evidence of Grillo's great recruiting but terrible coaching: Bryan Inhacak. He could have been a great, and he was largely mediocre after his freshman year. That's on coaching.

Comment

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
        He will get some votes for sure but it would be hard pressed not to give it to Rand Pecknold after the season Quinnipiac is having.
        Agreed. I do hope he'll come in second, however. You could make an argument for Seth Appert, as well.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
          Agreed. I do hope he'll come in second, however. You could make an argument for Seth Appert, as well.
          He's had a nice turnaround season from a year ago. I'd put him third or 4th depending on where you would put Greg Carvel who has turned St. Lawrence around in his first year. It's hard not to give coach of the year to a coach whose team is 16-1-3 in the league going into the final weekend where the 2nd place team is 12 points behind.
          QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
          2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
          2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
          2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
          https://***********/QHockeyBlog
          https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
          https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

Originally posted by Brunofan View Post
            For sure. Shame/blame on Grillo for recruiting three NHL caliber players who put up big penalty minutes! I'm sure Brendan was happy to see them move on from the program.
            A few stats may help tell the story:

AARON VOLPATTI

Under Roger Grillo
            2006-2007: 5-2-7
            2007-2008: 4-6-10
            2008-2009: 6-7-13

Under Brendan Whittet
            2009-2010: 17-15-32

HARRY Z

Under Roger Grillo:
            2007-2008: 0-3-3
            2008-2009: 1-1-2

Under Brendan Whittet
            2009-2010: 13-20-33
            2010-2011: 16-15-31

Recruiting talent wasn't the main problem the Brown program faced under Grillo. His teams had a tendency to underperform.

Comment

• Originally posted by Euler18 View Post
              A few stats may help tell the story:

AARON VOLPATTI

Under Roger Grillo
              2006-2007: 5-2-7
              2007-2008: 4-6-10
              2008-2009: 6-7-13

Under Brendan Whittet
              2009-2010: 17-15-32

HARRY Z

Under Roger Grillo:
              2007-2008: 0-3-3
              2008-2009: 1-1-2

Under Brendan Whittet
              2009-2010: 13-20-33
              2010-2011: 16-15-31

Recruiting talent wasn't the main problem the Brown program faced under Grillo. His teams had a tendency to underperform.
              I was going to make this point but didn't feel like looking up the exact statistics. I think it's very clear what impact Grillo had on good hockey players.

Comment

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
                He will get some votes for sure but it would be hard pressed not to give it to Rand Pecknold after the season Quinnipiac is having.
                What has Pecknold done that couldn't have been done by someone else? He had the tools and he had the talent. He'll win, but there's no doubting that Whittet's done more with less. If Whittet had the talent level of the QU team, they'd probably be undefeated. You guys still lost to AIC.

Btw - Appreciate the input, but the Pecknold/QU love affair is kind of amusing. Any inkling from any other forums that they might have a differing opinion that QU isn't this mega giant leads me to believe that you guys are trolling with the "OMG QUINNIPIAC IS AWESOME! I LOVE QUINNIPIAC! GO BOBCATS! WE RULE! EVERYONE ELSE STINKS! RAND IS GOD RAND IS GOD RAND IS GOD HARTZELL RULES"

You gotta pay the toll troll if you wanna get that boy's soul. -It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Cue QU fans eating me alive in 3..... 2....... 1......
                Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

PS - may or may not have channeled some type of inner ElGuapo34. I miss his posts.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
                    What has Pecknold done that couldn't have been done by someone else? He had the tools and he had the talent. He'll win, but there's no doubting that Whittet's done more with less. If Whittet had the talent level of the QU team, they'd probably be undefeated. You guys still lost to AIC.

Btw - Appreciate the input, but the Pecknold/QU love affair is kind of amusing. Any inkling from any other forums that they might have a differing opinion that QU isn't this mega giant leads me to believe that you guys are trolling with the "OMG QUINNIPIAC IS AWESOME! I LOVE QUINNIPIAC! GO BOBCATS! WE RULE! EVERYONE ELSE STINKS! RAND IS GOD RAND IS GOD RAND IS GOD HARTZELL RULES"

You gotta pay the toll troll if you wanna get that boy's soul. -It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Why would they eat you alive? Your team earned a true split, so you have every right to gloat.

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                      Harry Z had a horrible game last night as well. Not sure if he got suspended

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...aps-perreault/
                      Doubtful he gets suspended. Adam Oates, the Caps head coach, blamed his own guy for the play.
                      his game misconduct was rescinded by the NHL. Harry Zolnierczyk's game misconduct at the end of the game against Washington has been rescinded by the NHL. There will be no suspension or fine issued as a result of the kneeing penalty he was assessed.

The decision was not a surprise. Not even Capitals coach Adam Oates saw it as a dirty play, although Zolnierczyk's knee made contact with Mathieu Perreault on a late-game body check in open ice.... http://www.hockeybuzz.com/
                      Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

You guys still lost to AIC.
                        Ouch!

But we did sweep Yale... that has to count for something in your eyes, no?

We're not all in that category. Some of us are mindful that a bounce or two in a different direction could have significantly changed the course of this season. And I, for one, know that our season is a long way from over and unless we go out and handle business, we'll be no better in the eyes of the other leagues than Union and Yale before us. That ECAC stigma is going to be a tough one to break for any of us.

For what it's worth, I agree that Whittet needs to be considered for COTY. He's certainly getting as much, if not more, out of his team than any other in the league.
                        Quinnipiac Bobcats
                        2023 National Champions
                        ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                        ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                        East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
                        Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
                        Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                        Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
                          Ouch!

But we did sweep Yale... that has to count for something in your eyes, no?

We're not all in that category. Some of us are mindful that a bounce or two in a different direction could have significantly changed the course of this season. And I, for one, know that our season is a long way from over and unless we go out and handle business, we'll be no better in the eyes of the other leagues than Union and Yale before us. That ECAC stigma is going to be a tough one to break for any of us.

For what it's worth, I agree that Whittet needs to be considered for COTY. He's certainly getting as much, if not more, out of his team than any other in the league.
                          I wish all fans could be like this.

About to head to Providencia. What do we got for tonight?

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

About to head to Providencia. What do we got for tonight?
                            Throw out some "Go Bruno" cheers for me. Looking forward to your wrap-ups as well as those from Kdiff, Bruno09 and brunofan. Hope to meet you guys on Saturday.

GO BRUNO!!

Comment

I'd better stop before you start to think I'm a nice guy!
                              Quinnipiac Bobcats
                              2023 National Champions
                              ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                              ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                              East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
                              Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
                              Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                              Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Agree. MarkEagle, and as well LTsatch, are terrific. They can post on the Brown thread anytime.

Comment

Working...
                                X