Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Brown Hockey 2012-2013:Climbing the ECAC Ladder

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
    Are you really saying BU and BC aren't quality institutions? I'll agree that UND is probably way below par academically, but saying BU and BC don't take their academics seriously is ludicrous. To say Brown doesn't take students who are there primarily for athletics, remember Brown did have the Nuzzos. No slight to them, but I don't think Matt Nuzzo is a Brown alum today if never touched a baseball or football.

Regarding Roy, it wouldn't be hard for any school to "create" scholarship space just like a NFL team can "create cap space". I wish him the best wherever he goes. It would have been nice to have him, but I guess is speaks to Brown's future if they can get a kid like this to commit in the first place. Movin' on.
    Agreed, what a joke, sure Brown is ranked a bit higher than BC Nationally, usually in the #15 range with BC @ 30th, but when you consider there are hundreds of colleges and Universities around the country, it's a very minimal difference. You get a great education at both places and PC isn't even in the same galaxy as BC in regards to hockey. As the Onion Man pointed out, if you were using schools like North Dakota, Maine or UML as examples, then you would have had a valid point.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
      Good news about Roy. From today's Providence Journal:

http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Oli...&view=ZW50aXR5
      Kevin Roy must have been admitted to Brown and signed a National Letter of Intent to play for Brown. Otherwise, Head Coach Whittet would not have been allowed to comment on him in this article. If Roy changes his mind and wants to play for another college, he would need to request a release from the NLI. Unless there are unusual extenuating circumstances (e.g., family crisis), Brown could deny the request for release. In that case, Roy would not be allowed to play for another college for one year. (http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/...ons/index.html).
      The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
        Kevin Roy must have been admitted to Brown and signed a National Letter of Intent to play for Brown. Otherwise, Head Coach Whittet would not have been allowed to comment on him in this article. If Roy changes his mind and wants to play for another college, he would need to request a release from the NLI. Unless there are unusual extenuating circumstances (e.g., family crisis), Brown could deny the request for release. In that case, Roy would not be allowed to play for another college for one year. (http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/...ons/index.html).
        ...taken from the bottom of Chris Heisenberg's page......(Ivy league schools do not use a LOI, so all commitments are verbal commitments only.)
        Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
          ...taken from the bottom of Chris Heisenberg's page......(Ivy league schools do not use a LOI, so all commitments are verbal commitments only.)
          Thanks for the correction. Since the Ivy League doesn't offer athletic scholarships, the National Letter of Intent does not come in to play.
          Last edited by C-H-C; 06-02-2012, 06:44 PM.
          The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

I don't know how much you guys follow about Guy and Jean of the Pipeline show, but they are THE most plugged in people on NCAA hockey in Canada and they would not write something along those lines unless they had a very very good source. That said, they said he was exploring his options not 100% decommiting but I wouldn't count on him undoubtedly going to Brown because of a "recent article" as ProJo quotes. This very well could refer to this article in February http://journalstar.com/sports/hockey...ef8b86d00.html

It seems to me as a bit of an attempt by Whittet to make an out and the open statement of his desire for Roy to go to Brown. If there is no LOI needed at an Ivy, then there's nothing stopping him from going somewhere else. Also people keep referring to scholarship availability for him. That is just plain crap and an absolute facade. Its not that there is a scholly available at BC and/or BU (who knows what the hell these kids get), its that he wasn't on "Scholarship" at Brown, and I'm sure they can find some sort of grant or academic scholarship for him to go to either school so lets cut the crap with that.

Look at the situation realistically guys, 1 year ago he went undrafted so it wasn't a big deal going to Brown other then being a solid recruit. But now he's gonna be an NHL team's 2-5th round draft pick, and in all likelihood they will be much more comfortable with his continued late development at one of the other schools then Brown, which he knows. Don't get me wrong, Brown is an up and coming program in my eyes and have some very solid recruits on the way, but according to two guys I have a lot more trust in then ProJo, it looks like Roy may not be one.

Comment

It does sound like Roy is keeping his options open. Academics shouldn't play too much into it because I dont think Kevin Roy is a 4 year player regardless of where he goes. He could be the guy who could attract others to come so I think its important he shows up to help get this program out of the rinse-repeat cycle its been in for as long as I can remember.
              Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Regardless of what ends up happening, I would expect him to make a decision soon. Most, if not all, high school seniors and others entering college for the first time have already made their decision as to where they will be attending school in the fall. I'm not sure what Roy is waiting on, but for his own sake, he needs to make up his mind in the next few weeks or so.

Comment

Are you really saying BU and BC aren't quality institutions?
                  I'm not saying that. I'm saying that they're not on a par with elite institutions like Brown in terms of the caliber of the student body and the quality of the faculty.

One could draw an analogy with hockey. BU and BC have ELITE hockey programs. Brown has a QUALITY hockey program, but right now it's not at the elite level.

It's always seemed curious to me that most people have no problem ranking institutions in terms of the caliber of ther athletic programs but have considerable difficulty admitting that academically-speaking some institutions are better than others. There are objective criteria by which these differences can be measured.

BU and BC don't have a monopoly on excellent hockey players. There are excellent hockey players at Brown, too. However, the three institutions are not equal in hockey terms and not equal in academic terms.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
                    And if Roy only wants a bridge to the NHL, he should definitely attend one of those schools [BU or BC]. But, again, how would he not know that Brown isn't such a school?
                    Kevin Roy and his family know very well what Brown has to offer that BC and BU do not, just as they know what BU and BC have to offer that Brown does not. Ultimately the question is, do they go with a world class education + quality hockey, or do they go with a quality education + world-class hockey? Considering Roy's size and skills, which are more suitable to the college game than the NHL, I'd go with the world class education (not to mention the lifetime earning potential of an Ivy League degree) + quality hockey, but it's not my decision to make...

It's a tribute to Kevin Roy and his family's concern for education that we're even having this conversation. It's a very small number of elite junior players who can get through the Ivy League admissions offices.
                    Last edited by Euler18; 06-03-2012, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Euler18 View Post
                      I'm not saying that. I'm saying that they're not on a par with elite institutions like Brown in terms of the caliber of the student body and the quality of the faculty.

One could draw an analogy with hockey. BU and BC have ELITE hockey programs. Brown has a QUALITY hockey program, but right now it's not at the elite level.

It's always seemed curious to me that most people have no problem ranking institutions in terms of the caliber of ther athletic programs but have considerable difficulty admitting that academically-speaking some institutions are better than others. There are objective criteria by which these differences can be measured.

BU and BC don't have a monopoly on excellent hockey players. There are excellent hockey players at Brown, too. However, the three institutions are not equal in hockey terms and not equal in academic terms.
                      You also lumped in North Dakota with the two Boston schools. There is no way any reasonable person could put UND in with those two. The gap between UND vs. BU/BC is much more vast than the one between Brown vs. BU/BC in academics.
                      Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

You also lumped in North Dakota with the two Boston schools. There is no way any reasonable person could put UND in with those two. The gap between UND vs. BU/BC is much more vast than the one between Brown vs. BU/BC in academics.
                        I believe that one can get a quality undergraduate education at the University of North Dakota just as well as at BU and BC. In fact, I believe one can get a quality undergraduate education at essentially every hockey-playing Division I school. One can also play quality hockey at essentially every Division I school. It's in the nature of the division.

A world class, elite education is a different story, and so is world class, elite hockey.

Comment

http://www.ushl.com/news.php?news_id=1069

"Roy will begin his college hockey career next season at Brown University. He is now preparing for the 2012 NHL Draft as he is one of the top North American prospects as rated by NHL Central Scouting. Roy will take part in the NHL Draft Combine from May 28th-June 2nd as one of 105 top players to be evaluated by NHL teams."

So...is he coming, or what??

Comment

Another interesting story on Kevin Roy, including video of his highlights.

http://sports.yahoo.com/juniorhockey...hockey,wp12087

Comment

From a recent article in the New England Hockey Journal:

"Brown-committed forward Mark Naclerio (Milford, Conn.) took his USHL season as far as it could go, playing a fifth and deciding game for the Clark Cup with the Waterloo Black Hawks. Entering the last game, two of Naclerio’s three playoff goals were game-winners. He had eight points in 14 playoff games and had 14-28-42 numbers in the regular season."

Mark Naclerio may be the sleeper in Brown's 2012 recruiting class. For now all I'll say is that he's a solid top-nine forward (together with fellow recruits Nick Lappin and, hopefully, Kevin Roy), but I'm sure he'll be heard from before too long.

Now, get ready for the rumors that he'll decommit from Brown to attend BU or BC. :-)

Comment

A candid interview with a sixteen-year-old Nick Lappin, before he committed to Brown. Nick's dad, Peter, was an outstanding player at St. Lawrence University.

http://www.ridertownusa.com/team/pla....php?player=37

Here are two stories about Nick:

http://www.kearneyhub.com/sports/loc...cc4c03286.html

http://www.kcchronicle.com/mobile/ar...5287/index.xml

Comment

Working...
                                X