Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Brown Hockey 2012-2013:Climbing the ECAC Ladder

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
    That 2003 team went 10-2-5 at home. Maybe we should bring back Kickstart My Heart; apparently it turned Meehan into a fortress.
    I think I mixed it up with the team that came out to Invisible Touch by Genesis. That might've been the last year of Roger Grillo.
    Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Well, that team was certainly invisible on the ice. So it's fitting.

Comment

Reading the comments on the Yale thread regarding Yale's game against the Russian team indicate that Brown has another game as with AIC to get ready for the Clarkson/StL weekend. BTW, How did Tang and Goldberg fare against AIC? Is DeConcilyis out for awhile?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
          Reading the comments on the Yale thread regarding Yale's game against the Russian team indicate that Brown has another game as with AIC to get ready for the Clarkson/StL weekend. BTW, How did Tang and Goldberg fare against AIC? Is DeConcilyis out for awhile?
          Tang and Goldberg were a lot less noticeable against AIC, but I suppose that means they didn't screw up at all. I'm hoping they can provide 10 minutes or so a game going forward.

Haven't heard any news on DeConcylis; Euler? Bruno? Anyone?

Comment

• Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
            Tang and Goldberg were a lot less noticeable against AIC, but I suppose that means they didn't screw up at all. I'm hoping they can provide 10 minutes or so a game going forward.

Haven't heard any news on DeConcylis; Euler? Bruno? Anyone?
            I actually thought Goldberg played well against AIC. He had a pretty assist on Lamacchia's goal, and carried the puck well when asked. Honeslty, the defensemen that played poorly against AIC, comparatively speaking, we're Robertson and Wahl.

I would be surprised to see DeConcylis go against the Russians, but expect him back for the trip north.

Comment

Originally posted by DarthBruno View Post
              I've watched Brown hockey faithfully for decades, but sometimes I feel we're all fooling ourselves that we'll ever again have a team like Toomey's in the mid 1970s, or the one Damian Prescott skated on.
              Two quick comments:

1. Re. Dick Toomey's teams: Toomey was, I believe, a great coach. But he also benefited from looser standards in Brown's Admissions Office and in Ivy League sports in general. Remember that there was no Academic Index.

2. In the 1996-97 season Damian Prescott scored 20 goals, but the team finished last and didn't make the playoffs. (At that time, ten out of twelve teams made the playoffs.) In 1997-98 Prescott scored 25 goals, the team finished fourth in the league, but was eliminated by Princeton in the quarterfinals.

Comment

A short profile of Brown recruit Kyle Kramer, from the Nanaimo Clippers: an agitator with scoring touch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tO9sedReIk

Comment

A couple of videos featuring Brown recruit Davey Middleton (Cedar Rapids Roughriders):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RktqOYyb6-k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsS3ToxwijE

Comment

A video interview with Brown recruit Tyler Steel, from the Merritt Centennials:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HzguhLyodA

And a story on Steel on "The World of Junior Hockey":

http://theworldofjuniorhockey.blogsp...ommits-to.html

Comment

Originally posted by Euler18 View Post
                      Two quick comments:

1. Re. Dick Toomey's teams: Toomey was, I believe, a great coach. But he also benefited from looser standards in Brown's Admissions Office and in Ivy League sports in general. Remember that there was no Academic Index.

2. In the 1996-97 season Damian Prescott scored 20 goals, but the team finished last and didn't make the playoffs. (At that time, ten out of twelve teams made the playoffs.) In 1997-98 Prescott scored 25 goals, the team finished fourth in the league, but was eliminated by Princeton in the quarterfinals.
                      Remember that in Brendan's first year, Brown was 0-7-1 following a loss to Bentley at home before Thanksgiving. Then a water cooler reportedly got thrown, and Brown went 13-13-3 the rest of the way. They were also 5-12-1 at some point and finished the year 8-8-1. So while Prescott was fantastic, I'd much rather take a team with that type of heart any day of the week. I really believe that Brown has the potential to put everything kind of back together in the second half of the year.

We will know more about this team after the Clarkson/SLU trip. If they come back with 2-4 points, then I think we can say that they are appearing to turn the corner. The question then becomes if they can actually do it.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

And keep in mind that it took other coaches, such as Keith Allain at Yale and Nate Leaman at Union (now at Providence) longer than Whittet has been in charge at Brown to start fielding their national championship contenders. Do I think Brown has a chance to win a national championship any time soon? Nope. But can we see a team emerge from constant bottom dweller status to challenge the best in the ECAC and make it into the national ranks? Absolutely. We have some of the pieces in place right now, and they are maturing and will be supplemented by further excellent recruiting classes. Our current sophomore and freshman classes are going to be a lot of fun to watch in the next couple of years, and it seems as though next year's crop is very talented as well. Now, we just need to pray for the next Yann Danis, and the rest will fall into place.

Comment

Wait a sec - De Fillippo is hurt??

http://www.uscho.com/2013/01/02/inju...iday-hardware/

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

• Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
                            Yes. Nothing that could cause his year to be in jeopardy, but he was probably not available last weekend.

Comment

Caught most of the game tonight and as expected Brown handled the Russians. Not that it comes as a shock because it's an exhibition, but I did make some observations about them based on the broadcast:

1) I really liked that Brendan started the game with pairings he wants to use down the stretch. I think given the struggles in the first half, it'll be a good start for the team to get more chemistry work in as opposed to a team going crazy with different pairings off the start. I was thinking Brendan would roll out some whacko styles of play off the start, but instead, he chose to start the game with his right pairings before breaking it off.

2) I think the Russian style of play is something that can influence Brown since it's permeated its way into the American college school of thought more and more often in the past couple of years. The Russians are very methodical, and judging from the broadcast, the first period featured a lot of spread out passing. They were able to use their offense to crush the AJHL All Stars earlier this year, and they beat ARmy the same way. When the European skaters can use spread formations on the ice and get breakouts, they can be very methodical with their passing. They don't so much look for the man than they do the open space and fill that space perfectly. So I'll take my hats off to them for a couple of decent looks. I know Borelli had to make a couple of tough saves in the first period.

3) I think if I had to give a three star selection, Mike Rubin gets my first star. The man was a natural pronouncing those names. Seriously. I was sitting around thinking that I was listening to either a documentary on the 1980 US Olympic Team or watching Rocky 4. I don't mean to disrespect the Russians by any mean, but unless it's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TVU-sjy5_4

... good job to Mike.

4) Mike had a new color guy tonight, and I hope he sticks. For the first time all year, save for Mike's brother, I really felt a passion for the university through the broadcast. Some of the color guys that Mike has used over the years are occasionally over the top (I know Jack takes a lot of heat for dumping on the refs over the years), but this year has been a steady parade of guy after guy who clearly was there going through the motions. They had one guy in particular who tried turning a hockey broadcast into a discussion of professional wrestling. Yes, I realize what I just said given my youtube clip.

But anyways, if John (I think that's his name?) is a try-out, I would like to see him in a regular game broadcast. He was very enthusiastic to the broadcast, and you can certainly feel his passion for the Bears and how badly he wanted them to do well. And this was an exhibition that meant virtually nothing. I usually don't comment on the broadcast, but I feel like I need to go out of my way to state the obvious. I believe he does football games, but I'm usually at the football games so I wouldn't know.

5) A long lay-off ahead. I really hope this doesn't make Brown rusty heading into the break before going up to the North Country.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
                                Caught most of the game tonight and as expected Brown handled the Russians. Not that it comes as a shock because it's an exhibition, but I did make some observations about them based on the broadcast:

1) I really liked that Brendan started the game with pairings he wants to use down the stretch. I think given the struggles in the first half, it'll be a good start for the team to get more chemistry work in as opposed to a team going crazy with different pairings off the start. I was thinking Brendan would roll out some whacko styles of play off the start, but instead, he chose to start the game with his right pairings before breaking it off.

2) I think the Russian style of play is something that can influence Brown since it's permeated its way into the American college school of thought more and more often in the past couple of years. The Russians are very methodical, and judging from the broadcast, the first period featured a lot of spread out passing. They were able to use their offense to crush the AJHL All Stars earlier this year, and they beat ARmy the same way. When the European skaters can use spread formations on the ice and get breakouts, they can be very methodical with their passing. They don't so much look for the man than they do the open space and fill that space perfectly. So I'll take my hats off to them for a couple of decent looks. I know Borelli had to make a couple of tough saves in the first period.

3) I think if I had to give a three star selection, Mike Rubin gets my first star. The man was a natural pronouncing those names. Seriously. I was sitting around thinking that I was listening to either a documentary on the 1980 US Olympic Team or watching Rocky 4. I don't mean to disrespect the Russians by any mean, but unless it's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TVU-sjy5_4

... good job to Mike.

4) Mike had a new color guy tonight, and I hope he sticks. For the first time all year, save for Mike's brother, I really felt a passion for the university through the broadcast. Some of the color guys that Mike has used over the years are occasionally over the top (I know Jack takes a lot of heat for dumping on the refs over the years), but this year has been a steady parade of guy after guy who clearly was there going through the motions. They had one guy in particular who tried turning a hockey broadcast into a discussion of professional wrestling. Yes, I realize what I just said given my youtube clip.

But anyways, if John (I think that's his name?) is a try-out, I would like to see him in a regular game broadcast. He was very enthusiastic to the broadcast, and you can certainly feel his passion for the Bears and how badly he wanted them to do well. And this was an exhibition that meant virtually nothing. I usually don't comment on the broadcast, but I feel like I need to go out of my way to state the obvious. I believe he does football games, but I'm usually at the football games so I wouldn't know.

5) A long lay-off ahead. I really hope this doesn't make Brown rusty heading into the break before going up to the North Country.
                                H - You and I are on the same wave-length when it comes to Mike R. I was all set to give him the first star - flawless pronunciation of the Russian names with no hesitation whatsoever as the Russians skated up the ice. I think the last name of the color guy was Anderson and I too believe he was doing some of the football games last fall. He paired well with Mike but I do miss Jack. Anyone know who he is?

As to the game, I was surprised by the attendance - 1100. I didn't think a weeknight game would bring out a crowd, even for the Russians. I noticed that Siers was playing as an extra F. Were his two penalties bad ones? I have seen in the past that once he gets a chance to play and takes a bad penalty, Brendan sits him down. I have been hoping he can cut down on his penalties as he does bring a litlle chippiness to the ice.

Comment

Working...
                                X