PDA

View Full Version : Brown Hockey 2012-2013:Climbing the ECAC Ladder

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50

MarkEagleUSA
02-24-2013, 10:37 PM
He looked rattled after the first goal and didn't have the same lateral movement or focus on the last one.If you're referring to Brown's 2nd goal, when Pecknold called his timeout Hartzell was on the bench having his right skate worked on. I'm not sure but I think he had some problem with an edge or something and didn't seem right for the remaining couple of minutes. Not making excuses but something appeared to be wrong.

The defense was skating, but the forwards weren't back-checking on the last goal, which allowed Brown to put more heat to the goal than he had seen in the first 50 minutes combined, or so it seemed.Agreed. There were way too many bodies in front of him because nobody cleared them out.

In years past, a Brown team that has a goal disallowed would hang its collective head and give up.Gotcha...

Whoa, relax.Sorry if I came off too strong. That wasn't my intention.

Yes, that is what they are supposed to do, and they are good. But hence why I think Hartzell is a product of the system. I thought he moved well, made some nice saves, and is very good. But hardly one of the best goalies in recent league memory. Very good, yes. Excellent at times, yes. And, as you put it, certainly above average. But I don't quite put him in the category of Danis, Leneveu, McKee, Grosenick a year ago.I agree that he's not the best, but has to be considered one of the best even if he is just "part of a system". Perhaps our difference of opinion is due to me having seen every minute of his play this year. Yes, my blue & gold colored glasses sometimes obscure the view, but he has been our best player overall this year.

Please don't take this as personal effrontery or condemnation of the body of work Quinnipiac has put together this year - I am impressed by them, and, let's face it, most Brown fans would give up a limb or appendage to have a team be 22-4.On the contrary, I take it as a compliment. ;)

As to the PWR, somehow Yale is #15. And their past month has been, well, iffy.One thing we have in common: a total disdain for the Bulldogs! :D

Very perplexing if I'm a Q fan.We were very perplexed.

The two games between Brown and Quinnipiac were classics, mainly because Brown played to the level of their opponent.Both games were up there in terms of tough competition. It seems Brown always play us tough and give us fits. We figured out most of the other teams this year but left 2 points on the ice against Brown.

Appreciate the dialogue, and wish you well. Unless we're playing you!Again, sorry if I came off too strong... was not my intention. We're both obviously big fans of our teams. If we don't face you again this year it will be fine with me. ;)

kdiff77
02-24-2013, 11:24 PM
One thing we have in common: a total disdain for the Bulldogs! :D

I think we can all agree: Brown and Quinnipiac are both better than Yale. :D

Humanoid
02-25-2013, 11:18 AM
I think we can all agree: Brown and Quinnipiac are both better than Yale. :D

What more can we say about Yale except - they're not Harvard.

Brunofan
02-25-2013, 02:19 PM
You'll notice they were both Grillo recruits. No wonder Brown had a reputation for thugging it up.

For sure. Shame/blame on Grillo for recruiting three NHL caliber players who put up big penalty minutes! I'm sure Brendan was happy to see them move on from the program. In related news, the Warren Commission is looking into rumors that Grillo may have been seen on the "grassy knoll".

Humanoid
02-25-2013, 05:10 PM
For sure. Shame/blame on Grillo for recruiting three NHL caliber players who put up big penalty minutes! I'm sure Brendan was happy to see them move on from the program. In related news, the Warren Commission is looking into rumors that Grillo may have been seen on the "grassy knoll".

IT WAS KEITH HERNANDEZ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBz3PqA2Fmc

LTsatch
02-25-2013, 05:41 PM
I won't discuss the heman Yalehaters club here, but I will point out that you have to Q,s defense some credit, Hartzell has faced 100 less shots than his peers this season. Q takes care of the puck before it gets to him, that said, he is still a very good and experienced goalie.

kdiff77
02-25-2013, 06:01 PM
I won't discuss the heman Yalehaters club here

Hey, nothing personal. You seem like a knowledgeable and classy guy. But when Yale loses, I smile.

MarkEagleUSA
02-25-2013, 06:50 PM
Hey, nothing personal. You seem like a knowledgeable and classy guy. But when Yale loses, I smile.What he said! :D

Q takes care of the puck before it gets to him, that said, he is still a very good and experienced goalie.It's been somewhat of a double-edged sword... he never really gets tested and goes for long stretches of time without even seeing a puck. Then the D collapses or makes a mistake and he's put on the spot in the blink of an eye. He's been excellent within the system he plays in but is far from being the best, although I think he's one of the better ones out there right now. Much like Borelli, the team sometimes depends on him too much.

Ok, I've taken up way too much time on Brown's turf so I'll crawl back to my cave and enjoy another (unexpected) week at #1. :cool:

kdiff77
02-25-2013, 07:14 PM
An interesting note: Brown is the highest-ranked team with a losing record in the Pairwise (31st). Not that it matters, because the only way we could conceivably make the tournament is by winning the ECAC. But still...it's nice that our great efforts are recognized by the computers, if not the media.

kdiff77
02-25-2013, 09:39 PM
Thoughts on a terrific weekend.

http://brownhockeyblog.blogspot.com/

Humanoid
02-26-2013, 10:52 AM
An interesting note: Brown is the highest-ranked team with a losing record in the Pairwise (31st). Not that it matters, because the only way we could conceivably make the tournament is by winning the ECAC. But still...it's nice that our great efforts are recognized by the computers, if not the media.

What I think becomes important here is that Brown will now affect other teams records as a TUC. Maybe they don't get an at large bid (they won't), but if Brown stays in the rankings, they will affect other records against TUC. For example, if Brown beats Yale at some point during the playoffs (again), it would give Yale another 1 or 2 losses. Likewise, if Yale plays Brown at some point and beats them, it's another 1 or 2 wins. So their record against other TUC could be greatly affected depending on if Brunos tays there.

Just an example; Yale is free-fallin' as it is. But you don't know how that plays out. It gives Minnesota State another W vs. a TUC, for example.

Mike Hutter
02-26-2013, 10:57 AM
But when Yale loses, I smile.

This weekend for the first time ever I will be rooting for Yale.

kdiff77
02-26-2013, 11:49 AM
This weekend for the first time ever I will be rooting for Yale.

You mean the first time since the last time they played Harvard? :)

Humanoid
02-26-2013, 01:41 PM

I usually root for both to lose, even though that's mathematically impossible. Or a tie. That helps nobody.

Mike Hutter
02-26-2013, 06:39 PM

I actually root for Harvard anytime H plays Yale. Only time for H, I despise Yale and harvard equally.

kdiff77
02-26-2013, 10:23 PM
I actually root for Harvard anytime H plays Yale. Only time for H, I despise Yale and harvard equally.

That's just sacriligous!

I'm on board with Humanoid.

kdiff77
02-27-2013, 04:14 PM
Just received this email.

A Letter From the Men's Hockey
Head Coach Brendan Whittet '94
Dear Brown Students & Fans:

I want to take the opportunity to encourage you to come out and support your Brown men's hockey team this Friday and Saturday, March 1st and 2nd, when we host Cornell and Colgate in a pair of pivotal ECAC Hockey contests at Meehan Auditorium. Not only do I encourage you to be in attendance, but we absolutely need your support! Tickets are free for students- let's pack the rink to capacity!

When I wore the Brown uniform, our home crowds were a crucial element in our success. Those overflowing Meehan crowds were our seventh player and we fed off the electric environment each time we stepped on the ice wearing those home Brown white jerseys. Our current team is on the verge of clinching home ice in the playoffs. This would be huge for our program! Why would this be a great accomplishment? Because we have not hosted a playoff series in our rink since 2005.

We need YOU in the building this weekend. We need your energy, your enthusiasm and your college spirit. See you at our rink this Friday and Saturday. Come early, so we can set the tone for the night.

On Friday, all students will have the chance to compete in chuck-a-puck during one of the intermissions with a chance to win an awesome prize from the Department of Athletics.

On Saturday, the first 200 students will receive free pizza during the second period.

WHO: Men's Hockey Team
WHAT: Final Home Games of the 2012-13 regular season vs. Cornell & Colgate with home ice for playoffs on the line
WHERE: Meehan Auditorium
WHEN: Friday, March 1 7:00 p.m. vs. Cornell
Saturday, March 2 4:00 p.m. vs. Colgate

Ever True
Head Coach Brendan Whittet ’94

Hopefully the students will heed Whittet's message, especially with the typical Cornell contingent expected to be on hand Friday night.

Seriously, what else are these kids doing at 7:00 on a Friday night? Parties start later. You're not studying; it's a Friday. There are no classes.
And what about Saturday afternoon? What in the world could they possibly be doing then?

I know students have busy lives, but attending a couple sporting events to support your classmates and friends is NOT too much to ask for.

Mike Hutter
02-27-2013, 10:48 PM
I might be too optimistic about student turnout, but I am planning on arriving at Meehan a few hours before the puck is dropped. Does Hope Street pizza deliver?

Humanoid
02-28-2013, 12:05 PM
I might be too optimistic about student turnout, but I am planning on arriving at Meehan a few hours before the puck is dropped. Does Hope Street pizza deliver?

You know what I can't find anywhere anymore and it actually upsets me? Ronzio - Bruno's favorite pizza.

Worst pizza I ever had (actually it wasn't that bad), but if I'm coming this weekend, it's Hope Street or Caserta. Hope Street Pizza has some amazing stuff. Gyro /droooooool

Humanoid
02-28-2013, 12:07 PM
Just received this email.

A Letter From the Men's Hockey
Head Coach Brendan Whittet '94
Dear Brown Students & Fans:

I want to take the opportunity to encourage you to come out and support your Brown men's hockey team this Friday and Saturday, March 1st and 2nd, when we host Cornell and Colgate in a pair of pivotal ECAC Hockey contests at Meehan Auditorium. Not only do I encourage you to be in attendance, but we absolutely need your support! Tickets are free for students- let's pack the rink to capacity!

When I wore the Brown uniform, our home crowds were a crucial element in our success. Those overflowing Meehan crowds were our seventh player and we fed off the electric environment each time we stepped on the ice wearing those home Brown white jerseys. Our current team is on the verge of clinching home ice in the playoffs. This would be huge for our program! Why would this be a great accomplishment? Because we have not hosted a playoff series in our rink since 2005.

We need YOU in the building this weekend. We need your energy, your enthusiasm and your college spirit. See you at our rink this Friday and Saturday. Come early, so we can set the tone for the night.

On Friday, all students will have the chance to compete in chuck-a-puck during one of the intermissions with a chance to win an awesome prize from the Department of Athletics.

On Saturday, the first 200 students will receive free pizza during the second period.

WHO: Men's Hockey Team
WHAT: Final Home Games of the 2012-13 regular season vs. Cornell & Colgate with home ice for playoffs on the line
WHERE: Meehan Auditorium
WHEN: Friday, March 1 7:00 p.m. vs. Cornell
Saturday, March 2 4:00 p.m. vs. Colgate

Ever True
Head Coach Brendan Whittet ’94

Hopefully the students will heed Whittet's message, especially with the typical Cornell contingent expected to be on hand Friday night.

Seriously, what else are these kids doing at 7:00 on a Friday night? Parties start later. You're not studying; it's a Friday. There are no classes.
And what about Saturday afternoon? What in the world could they possibly be doing then?

I know students have busy lives, but attending a couple sporting events to support your classmates and friends is NOT too much to ask for.

I, Humanoid, do solemnly swear that I will be at the game early, that I will get sufficiently lubed up before the game, that I will harken back to the days when I would paint my body and chant things that would have had my mother washing my mouth out with soap. It doesn't matter that I'll need to use silver face paint to cover up my gray hair. It doesn't matter that I can't shake off a hang over like I could in 2005. All that matters is that I put together a throw back performance for the ages because Brendan Whittet wants me to.

Already planning on calling in sick to work on Monday because, let's face it, two glasses of wine can give me a hangover, let alone what a case of Old Milwaukee could do.