Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Brown Hockey 2012-2013:Climbing the ECAC Ladder

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
    In looking at the lines for the past games, it appears this is the first time these 3 have skated together. I assume this line will continue.

One question I have from those who have attended games ( and I hope to be at Meehan soon), it also appears that Coach Whittet is playing around with combinations for an effective fourth line. Has the fourth lines been given a lot of skating times? I hear prescott's game mentioned a lot on the audio.
    Prescott is getting ice time, as is Naclerio. Today was the first time that Coach Whittet played five D and added Drolet back to the lineup. Truthfully, Drolet, Juola, and Ryan played pretty well together. Naclerio didn't skate much in the second period tonight, but he is a mainstay. Prescott is a big kid - about 6'2 - and is just figuring out I think the D-1 game. I think he will be fine in time.

The two guys that I think need to elevate their game are Hourihan and Harlow. Hourihan is a good PK guy and had flashes of offense his first couple years - not asking him to be a 30 point guy, but 7-10 goals and 5-10 assists would be nice.

Jacobson played his best today, and Hathaway was pretty consistent as well. Truthfully, putting anyone with Lorito these days elevates his game, since Lorito is playing at a very high level.

Comment

Originally posted by BrunoFan00 View Post
      Prescott is getting ice time, as is Naclerio. Today was the first time that Coach Whittet played five D and added Drolet back to the lineup. Truthfully, Drolet, Juola, and Ryan played pretty well together. Naclerio didn't skate much in the second period tonight, but he is a mainstay. Prescott is a big kid - about 6'2 - and is just figuring out I think the D-1 game. I think he will be fine in time.

The two guys that I think need to elevate their game are Hourihan and Harlow. Hourihan is a good PK guy and had flashes of offense his first couple years - not asking him to be a 30 point guy, but 7-10 goals and 5-10 assists would be nice.

Jacobson played his best today, and Hathaway was pretty consistent as well. Truthfully, putting anyone with Lorito these days elevates his game, since Lorito is playing at a very high level.
      What will definitely help Brown is to cycle in guys to see what sticks with Lorito. Once Lorito comes back down off the high, which is bound to happen just by law of averages, someone else will need to get the ball rolling. That will at least get the scoring up and allow Brown to do more than just rely on him.

I think this game today will go a long way to building that kind of trust in other players and it will foster more of an all-around attack. That first period was one of the most snakebitten periods I've seen or heard in a long time. Brown controlled the ice but gave up the goals. I think that falls back on the goaltending, which is a sore spot for the Bears this year. Until they bring in someone who can play up to the D1 level, they're going to give up goals despite controlling ice time because Borelli's really not that good and De Fillippo has issues going side-to-side.

Of the guys I'd mention, I don't know if someone mentioned Pfeil but he put together a +3 in a 1-goal game. That's pretty impressive.

One thing I know from personal experience with Holy Cross is that they do a couple of things very well. 1) They tend to get off the ice and catch teams in shift changes very well. They're very fast about it, bordering on the too many men on the ice penalty more than a couple of times, and they're usually very hard to catch in changes on icing. I've never seen them actually get caught in an icing without changing at least 2 or 3 of the players just in sheer speed off the bench.

2) They're physical. Bentley-Holy Cross games are typically blood baths. I think Miller graduated, so that eliminated one of their thugs, but they ahve some guys that like to bang. Erik Vos is pretty much public enemy #1 among teams in the AHA these days.

3) Their offense is great, but their defense and goaltending has been suspect for a while. There will be massive amounts of stretches where they allow tons of shots and can't clear. Good offenses take control. If Brown won this, 3-2, then a team with a more polished offense should hypothetically beat them 6-2. Their goaltending situation's been an issue for about 3 years now.

They are one of those perfect teams to get your team jumpstarted on the season. They're good but not great, and their win-loss record usually isn't an indicator of how susceptible they are. I think the term is "bad good team" because they're good on paper but can't pass the eye test. Still, a win is a win, and Brown's got some serious momentum going these days. 3-4-2 and a win over HC will make waves tomorrow for the people who havent' seen either team play.
      Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

• Originally posted by Euler18 View Post
        BROWN 3 - HOLY CROSS 2
        It really wasn't this close. Brown took 54 shots on net (to Holy Cross's 23), and if goalie Matt Ginn hadn't been as good as he was, it would have been a rout.

The Garnet Hathaway-Matt Lorito-Ryan Jacobson line was flying.

Great win for the program after that shaky game with PC! I'm sure that will help to keep the boys positive and motivated.

Comment

http://brownhockeyblog.blogspot.com/...omination.html

Some thoughts on a rollercoaster of a weekend.

Comment

Davey Middleton '92 (Cedar Rapids Roughriders) committed to Brown today. 6'3 Power Forward

Comment

Big game tonight.

Comment

In case you want to see the game
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-E3sPZFvMQ
                YALE HOCKEY
                2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                  In case you want to see the game
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-E3sPZFvMQ
                  Thanks! I watched it live, and was really impressed with the student production. My internet connection was choppy, which led to a lot of pauses, but all in all it was a great (and free) service.

Comment

It was not the greatest game the Bears have ever played on Saturday. Ticky-tack or not, they took dumb penalties at key junctures of the game, then allowed in goals. I understand that the PK unit is supposed to allow shots that are straight on, but there's no way Brown can look back at this game and feel good with the way it turned out. They were beating Yale handily at 3-1, and they were outskating them, then the PK unit took the ice and mucked it all up.

If De Fillippo was getting better with time and experience, he regressed against Yale. He gave up three goals he probably should've had. The first one - he didn't even see. The third and fourth goals at the end of the second period? He should've stopped.

That said, though, the PK unit has to do a better job getting into the dirty areas. They're supposed to allow saveable shots straight on, but they're also supposed to be able to kill off 20-25 seconds by tying up the puck along the dashers and half-walls. They did neither. The Agostino power play goal took about 4 seconds - face-off, pass, shot, score. That was a key juncture. If Brown's able to win a defensive zone PK face-off, they send it into the corner, tie it up for 10-15 seconds, then kick it free to somebody who can saucer and ice the puck. Instead, it went the other way. I'm almost positive Brown held a dominant face-off advantage, but the key ones went to Yale.

that said, I think there were definite positives to the weekend, and the team is clearly getting better. The top two lines looked strong at controlling the puck, and Roebrtson and Wahl continue to be strong despite logging insane amounts of ice time. If Widman or Quick weren't out for the year, Brown would have three lines of strong D pairing. Instead, they're rolling out one very good pairing, one that's kind of decent, and one that wouldn't be playing if they weren't injury riddled. That doesn't bode well for winning regular season games, but the positives at least will help Brown challenge teams better than they have in the past. The offense also played for the first time with a lead like they wanted to put a team away. And had the penalties and the late second period not happened, this one would've been a staunch Brown victory. Sometimes, that's how it goes; the breaks just beat the boys.
                    Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Mark Divver of The Providence Journal sizes up Brown's chances to beat Union and examines their recent play:

Read at http://t.co/XM7ghgsW

Comment

This weekend's games should be a good indicator of Brown's competiveness for the rest of the season in the ECAC. RPI especially as Brown has struggled with RPI over the past years with the exception of playoffs a few years back. I don't know what to make of the USCHO prediction of Brown beating RPI. First time in awhile I have seen that.

Comment

Tom Reale has a solid piece on the ECAC. If you missed it, link below:

http://www.withoutapeer.com/2012/12/...-november.html

Comment

When we stay out of the box, good things happen. We only had 5 penalties against Union, and would have won had we not taken two of those.

Whittet needs to concentrate on instilling discipline and mental fortitude in this team. It has plenty of fight and some good skill, but it needs to learn to control itself.

Comment

Is there a reason to not start Borelli tonight? He's 1-0-2 with a GAA of 0.88 and save percentage of .957. Yes, those numbers are skewed because he's only started one game, but is there a reason to put DeFilippo back in there when Borelli has done nothing wrong as of yet? He was somewhat shaky against Holy Cross in the first but then settled down nicely. He's no Yann Danis, but he seems to keep all of the stupid fluky goals out of the net. A lot of it comes from rebound control, which is a department DeFilippo is not very proficient in.

Comment

To answer my own question, there is no reason Borelli shouldn't start going forward. He made some really terrific saves today, and it would be hard to fault him for either goal he allowed.

On the other hand, hopefully the break can help Marco settle down and become the goaltender he can be. His biggest flaw is rebound control, so maybe he can work on that exclusively and improve enough to fight for his old starting job.

Comment

Working...
                                X