Brown Hockey 2012-2013:Climbing the ECAC Ladder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Brown Hockey 2012-2013:Climbing the ECAC Ladder

You have 10 hours to get your picks in or revise your picks to the ECAC Pick The Standings 2012-2013 thread.
    Remember 7PM
    Tonights the night
    It's gonna be all right
    Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
    And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
    WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
    If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

• For those who are local, I'm told tonight's game will be on AM790 locally, as well as the usual online stream.

Comment

Tough loss on Widman. Anyone at Bright see the injury? Is it too late for a redshirt? Ugh.
        Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
          Tough loss on Widman. Anyone at Bright see the injury? Is it too late for a redshirt? Ugh.
          What happened to Nate?
          I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by sk8tronthepond View Post
            What happened to Nate?
            He blew his knee and is out for the season. Brutal.
            Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
              He blew his knee and is out for the season. Brutal.
              Wow. Sorry to hear that. He looked good early on!
              I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

• Originally posted by sk8tronthepond View Post
                What happened to Nate?
                He was hit from behind in front of an official who said to Coach Whittet that he missed the hit. It was a borderline five and dirty at best. That said, second straight game in which Harvard has run an opposing defenseman without a call being made. Sour grapes? Maybe. But it was an awful hit on a promising young man who now faces some difficult decisions.

Lappin also missed the last two periods with an undisclosed injury, though it looked like hamstring or groin. Goldberg also skated off gingerly in the second and did not play in the third.

Comment

• Originally posted by BrunoFan00 View Post
                  He was hit from behind in front of an official who said to Coach Whittet that he missed the hit. It was a borderline five and dirty at best. That said, second straight game in which Harvard has run an opposing defenseman without a call being made. Sour grapes? Maybe. But it was an awful hit on a promising young man who now faces some difficult decisions.

Lappin also missed the last two periods with an undisclosed injury, though it looked like hamstring or groin. Goldberg also skated off gingerly in the second and did not play in the third.
                  Harvard playing dirty? NEVER!!

Comment

Especially under Ted Donato, they've always been such saints and model citizens.

Comment

Well, a loss to Dartmouth. Can't say we didn't see that coming.

Overall impressions:

First, the positives:
                      1. The PK had a great weekend. Perfect against a great Harvard PP on Friday and again against Dartmouth on Saturday, including a shortie.
                      2. Marco. He made 70 odd saves between the two games, and to hold Dartmouth to the 2 with 30 saves, at least on paper, seems like he is solidifying the goalie position.
                      3. Dennis Robertson played a terrific game against Harvard, going every other shift.
                      4. Lorito's goal showed exactly how quick his wrists really are. He has the possibility and potential to be special, if he doesn't get caught trying to do too much or shouldering the bulk of the load.

The negatives:
                      1. Three goals in the three games, and five in four, is not particularly inspiring.
                      2. The injuries go without saying. This team losing Lappin AND Widman in the same period, never mind the same weekend, is like getting delivered a knockout blow and being kicked in the shorts on the way down.

Neither:
                      1. Mike Juola got into the game against Dartmouth. I had forgotten he was on this team.
                      2. I wonder if Jacobson's numbers were better last year because he played with Maclellan, or if he is capable of being a consistent 25-point scorer.
                      3. Which one of Brown's juniors is going to step up? I really like Hathaway's game, and Hourihan had flashes here and there, but neither has given Brown visible shifts on a consistent basis.

As an aside, the 2000-01 season was Roger Grillo's 4th season at Brown, and it was quite possibly one of the worst in his tenure. The 2001-02 team saw Brown win a game at Wisconsin and pound St. Cloud at home, which led to the turnaround of 2002-2005. By that rationale, we're in for a long season, in that Brown would struggle this year, but at some point would put it all together. Ahead of schedule, that happens in January-February, though a lot will depend on the development of the younger guys and the determination of who can score on a consistent basis.

Comment

Originally posted by BrunoFan00 View Post

Was at the game against Bentley, and Harvard was playing dirty the whole night. Fallstrom (#16) was one of the most egregious offenders. He took out a D-man on Bentley that is relatively undersized. Made sure to drive him into the boards from behind. Had the guy not been taught the proper way to take a check, he'd probably have broken a couple bones himself in that game.

Not the primary reason why either team lost to Harvard, but it does warrant mentioning.
                        Last edited by Humanoid; 11-03-2012, 11:43 PM.
                        Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Originally posted by BrunoFan00 View Post

As an aside, the 2000-01 season was Roger Grillo's 4th season at Brown, and it was quite possibly one of the worst in his tenure. The 2001-02 team saw Brown win a game at Wisconsin and pound St. Cloud at home, which led to the turnaround of 2002-2005. By that rationale, we're in for a long season, in that Brown would struggle this year, but at some point would put it all together. Ahead of schedule, that happens in January-February, though a lot will depend on the development of the younger guys and the determination of who can score on a consistent basis.
                          Not to keep going back to my point, but it's obvious that this is the year where the program is fully gutted for Brendan. Like you said in an earlier post, he had guys who completely flourished in his system but were recruited by Grillo; it's hard to think what would've happened if those guys had 4 years in the system. After that, there were some recruiting classes that were positively bad. Not to say that the guys going out on the ice aren't trying; far from it (and I think, above all, the guys in uniform should be commended for their efforts at all times).

But I think it's clear that Brendan's recruiting picked up legs in some of the lower classes, maybe in the juniors. If the juniors do, indeed, start to step forward as you look to, then that first class is the changeover where everything bottomed out. I think it has to bottom out at some point with Whittet so he can start building it back up with just his guys. If the younger guys are able to mature faster, though, the bottoming out can be avoided, and Brown can still steal some points from some talented teams. Honestly, I didn't think Harvard was so much better than them. With a full lineup? They can compete.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

There's a full replay of last nights game available on the Dartmouth Men's Hockey website at the moment if you go to the team's page, select the Audio/Video header and then Game Replays.

Thought you may be interested.
                            Go Dartmouth!

Comment

From a reading of various posts, blogs, and the box scores, it would appear Brown played well. The game at Dartmouth was clearly ther best Brown has played up there in a long time; Marco had another strong game; and PK is doing OK. From what I have read, two untimely turnovers led to two goals for Harvard and otherwise Brown played Harvard even; and Lorito is emerging as Bruno's leader. Despite 2 Ls, not a bad start.

What is the official word on Nate? Is Lappin out for an extended time?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
                                From a reading of various posts, blogs, and the box scores, it would appear Brown played well. The game at Dartmouth was clearly ther best Brown has played up there in a long time; Marco had another strong game; and PK is doing OK. From what I have read, two untimely turnovers led to two goals for Harvard and otherwise Brown played Harvard even; and Lorito is emerging as Bruno's leader. Despite 2 Ls, not a bad start.

What is the official word on Nate? Is Lappin out for an extended time?

I believe Widman is out for the year. Not sure about Lappin.

If Brown can avoid shooting themselves in the foot, they're going to make some noise this year.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Working...
                                X