• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Brown Hockey 2012-2013:Climbing the ECAC Ladder

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
    http://brownhockeyblog.blogspot.com/

New post! Read, react, comment, etc.
    To your post, as a clarification:

I believe the only Brown sweep of Dartmouth in the past fifteen years came in 1998, highlighted by what I recall was a two-goal period from Tyler Garrow. Hoiness and Prescott scored in the third as well. Even the vaunted 03 and 04 Bear teams managed just a single win, including the consolation game in Albany in 2003.

To this weekend:

I'm intrigued by Brown-Princeton. Last year the Bears had one of their many meltdowns in New Jersey, and the game at home was also an OT game, albeit a loss. I recall three goals in about a minute of the first period, and the OT shot from Sdao in OT for the winner that Clemente never saw. I feel like both of the teams will be a little scrappy, possibly a little sloppy and tentative at first, with Princeton having a slight edge in terms of experience at the onset of the season. Calof and Berger are two skaters that are better, at least in terms of numbers, than anyone the Bears return. In fact, Princeton returns 74 of the 85 goals they scored a year ago, led by the top four.

I like the way Brown plays against Yale, since the Bulldogs are inclined to get into a track meet style of game, but I'm not certain if they have the same personnel to do so any more. That's not a dig against anyone in particular, but the days of Little, Kearney, Arcobello, Backman, Dignard, Donald, O'Neill, et al are past. They are still a quick team that likes to open it up, and it has been a terrific rivalry of late.

My questions about Brown are probably the same as everyone's:

1. Does Brendan Whittet roll out four lines? I think we have seen, over the first three years of his tenure, a tendency to see the bench shrink to four D and 9 forwards. Will that trend continue?

2. What sort of consistency do we see in back? An earlier post indicated a belief that Crowley was one of the Bears' better defenders last year, but there were times when he was not good at all. He is someone Brown absolutely needs to shore up a second pairing behind Wahl and Robertson, and I think we would like to see improvement in the games of Quick and Joey D, to the point where point play becomes a relative depth for the squad. These guys are not kids anymore, after all.

3. Who takes the face offs down the stretch? Jack Maclellan averaged more than 60% of the team's draws the past two seasons. Now, Lorito has exceptional wrists, but was hampered by an injury in the early goings, but who becomes the go-to guy on the dot is a question.

4. Can the energy line provide more than that? I've long liked the effort of guys like Hourihan and Siers, but are they, along with a guy like Hathaway, ready to take the next step and become point producers?

5. Is Marco DeFelippo the real deal? Can he be the real deal for 120 minutes a weekend?

I'm hopeful that the Bears can find a way to win at least one this weekend, but I'm refraining from any excitement until I see something on the ice.
    Last edited by BrunoFan00; 10-22-2012, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BrunoFan00 View Post

Does Brendan Whittet roll out four lines? I think we have seen, over the first three years of his tenure, a tendency to see the bench shrink to four D and 9 forwards. Will that trend continue?
      The 2012-2013 Bears appear to have enough depth to skate four lines. Whether the coaching staff will choose to do so, I can't tell. There's scoring potential on the first three lines, which wasn't the case in the past.

What sort of consistency do we see in back? An earlier post indicated a belief that Crowley was one of the Bears' better defenders last year, but there were times when he was not good at all. He is someone Brown absolutely needs to shore up a second pairing behind Wahl and Robertson, and I think we would like to see improvement in the games of Quick and Joey D, to the point where point play becomes a relative depth for the squad. These guys are not kids anymore, after all.
      Again, I think that with the addition of Nate Widman and Brandon Pfeil, there's enough defensive depth to skate six defensemen regularly. That wasn't always the case in the past. Nate Widman adds considerable size and physicality to the defensive corps.

Can the energy line provide more than that? I've long liked the effort of guys like Hourihan and Siers, but are they, along with a guy like Hathaway, ready to take the next step and become point producers?
      Not much scoring potential on a line made up of Drolet/Hourihan/Siers, but, as I said above, the energy line now is the FOURTH line, not the third or even second line as in the past. Hathaway has the potential to score goals, but he'll probably be on the second or third line, not on the fourth line.

Is Marco DeFelippo the real deal? Can he be the real deal for 120 minutes a weekend?
      Time will tell, but I believe that De Filippo has the potential to be a solid goalie. His technique has improved tremendously under the guidance of Tony Cerisi. Let's keep in mind that unlike Mike Clemente or Dan Rosen, De Filippo came to Brown straight from prep school.

This is still a very young team. Seven of the top nine forwards and three of the top six defensemen are freshmen or sophomores.

Comment

Originally posted by Euler18 View Post
        The 2012-2013 Bears appear to have enough depth to skate four lines. Whether the coaching staff will choose to do so, I can't tell. There's scoring potential on the first three lines, which wasn't the case in the past.

Again, I think that with the addition of Nate Widman and Brandon Pfeil, there's enough defensive depth to skate six defensemen regularly. That wasn't always the case in the past. Nate Widman adds considerable size and physicality to the defensive corps.

Not much scoring potential on a line made up of Drolet/Hourihan/Siers, but, as I said above, the energy line now is the FOURTH line, not the third or even second line as in the past. Hathaway has the potential to score goals, but he'll probably be on the second or third line, not on the fourth line.

Time will tell, but I believe that De Filippo has the potential to be a solid goalie. His technique has improved tremendously under the guidance of Tony Cerisi. Let's keep in mind that unlike Mike Clemente or Dan Rosen, De Filippo came to Brown straight from prep school.

This is still a very young team. Seven of the top nine forwards and three of the top six defensemen are freshmen or sophomores.
        Euler - great insight as always into the lines. I like to think that the fourth line will bring some heat this year, which will be nice to see. It's been too long that Brown's been rolling out a line to do pretty much everything that if they can get some good production out of their lower lines, that's a huge plus. You need that fourth line to go out and soften up the opponent rather just occupy space until the top two lines can go back out there. I'm just hoping Brendan keeps this format intact because that can go miles if they're having a great shift.

I think De Fillippo has the same potential as any goalie. Goalies are a weird bunch; they can go from being a complete sieve one year to being a complete masterpiece the next. If the coaching staff can get his technique to work, then he will be okay. The biggest thing for him will be to have defense in front of him that limits shot selection. It's a lot easier to stop 30 shots than 40, and it's a lot easier to stop 25 shots than 30. They'll need to limit garbage goals in front of him since that's where goalies get tied up the most.

I'm interested to see what happens this weekend. I feel like Brown will be playing with an edge because every major college hockey publication has picked them to finish dead last. Reminds me of this (go to 30 seconds into the video for the speech):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DouPR...eature=related
        Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

New post is up! It's essentially an extension of the last, going into the first weekend of league play.

Comment

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
            Euler - great insight as always into the lines. I like to think that the fourth line will bring some heat this year, which will be nice to see. It's been too long that Brown's been rolling out a line to do pretty much everything that if they can get some good production out of their lower lines, that's a huge plus. You need that fourth line to go out and soften up the opponent rather just occupy space until the top two lines can go back out there. I'm just hoping Brendan keeps this format intact because that can go miles if they're having a great shift.):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DouPR...eature=related
            Agree with fourth line potential. A lot of energy and with some playing time, there is scoring potential. Hopefully, Brendan gives them sufficient time togeher.

Comment

Only one week to go to change or get your picks into the ECAC Pick The Standings Contest 2012-2013 thread. Cutoff date and time are Nov 2 at 7 PM.
              Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
              And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
              WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
              If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Any comments/thoughts on the game last night? Looks like Lappin had a solid game.

Looking at the box score I noticed a DNP for G Joe Mello, a name I hadn't seen before on the roster, but is there now. I assume he is a walk-on that Brendan enouraged to come out and play. Based on high school, St. Raphael, Brendan may have been aware of him.

Comment

I wasn't able to catch the game last night, but I watched the highlights on brownbears.com.

First of all, the new jerseys of HEINOUS! The old design was plain, but it looked nice. These are really terrible, IMO.

Nick Lappin had some really soft hands on his breakaway goal. He's one to get excited about, for sure.

Comment

I wasn't able to catch the game last night, but I watched the highlights on brownbears.com.

First of all, the new jerseys of HEINOUS! The old design was plain, but it looked nice. These are really terrible, IMO.

Nick Lappin had some really soft hands on his breakaway goal. He's one to get excited about, for sure.
                    The video on the website is great. Hope it continues. I tend to agree about the jerseys. Wasn't
                    that style used in the '50s?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
                      The video on the website is great. Hope it continues. I tend to agree about the jerseys. Wasn't
                      that style used in the '50s?
                      First off, the jerseys are the third jerseys. Consensus at the rink from those I spoke to was pretty positive. Truthfully, I couldn't care less what they wear, as long as we see results.

The first period was the best 20 minutes of hockey Brown has played in five years. Completely dominant, looked like they outshot Princeton about 15-5, and won just about every face off. The first and second years established themselves immediately. Lorito may be ahead of things developmentally, and Hathaway looks like the power forward in the Volpatti/Harry Z mold.

As the game progressed, the younger guys came more into their own, and coach whittet confines to roll out his lines. I was impressed by the hustle f
                      drolet, who had several solid shifts in the third, and I thought both frosh dmen, specifically Widman and Pfeil, were pretty consistent.

Lappin and Naclerio are both special players As well, but it is one game and thus too early to judge. It sets up a matchup with a Dartmouth team against whom the bears have struggled of late. Again, I am reserving excitement and hope to see the first period play from Friday On a consistent basis.

Comment

First off, the jerseys are the third jerseys. Consensus at the rink from those I spoke to was pretty positive. Truthfully, I couldn't care less what they wear, as long as we see results.
                        They're wearing them again tonight, are you sure they're the 3rd?

Comment

They're wearing them again tonight, are you sure they're the 3rd?

That's what I'm being told. But maybe not.

To tonight's game: yuck. The Bears should just give up at trying to beat Dartmouth, since Bob Gaudet has their number, year in and year out. Just roll out, concede the 3-4 goals, and go home. It would save us all a lot of time and frustration.

At least, that's how tonight made me feel. Again.

That is all.

Comment

To tonight's game: yuck. The Bears should just give up at trying to beat Dartmouth, since Bob Gaudet has their number, year in and year out. Just roll out, concede the 3-4 goals, and go home. It would save us all a lot of time and frustration.
                            The two supposedly top defensemen had dreadful games. Everybody in the league knows that Dennis Robertson will cough up the puck if pressured at the offensive blue line. Matt Wahl was trying to do too much. Here's a solid defensive defenseman who has decided (or been told) to become an offensive player. Though he defends and passes well coming out of the defensive zone, he can't stickhandle the puck and his shot is non-existent.

The power play continues to be dreadful. First, no quarterback. (Neither Wahl nor Robertson can play that role.) Second, little or no movement. Everybody stands around. Guys only start moving when they receive a pass rather than moving IN ORDER TO make themselves open to accept a pass.

Good signs: 1. Lorito, Lorito, Lorito; 2. Freshman forwards; 3. Defenseman Nate Widman.

Comment

You have until Friday at 7PM to update or get your picks into the ECAC Pick The Standings Contest 2012-2013 thread. Please note if you are changing your picks, DO NOT CHANGE YOUR ORIGINAL POST, MAKE A NEW POSTING. Thanks.
                              Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                              And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                              WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                              If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

I know the water is over the bridge, but Kevin Roy would have made this team so much better. The only thing uglier than the power play are the halloween costumes they wore this past weekend. Another long year....
                                Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Working...
                                X