Brown Hockey 2012-2013:Climbing the ECAC Ladder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Brown Hockey 2012-2013:Climbing the ECAC Ladder

USCHO's preview of Brown states the obvious - that Brown suffered at the end of last year with injuries they never overcame, and that Brendan Whittet doesn't blame anyone for Bruno's preseason 12th place finish.

Brown is still very young, which will make a difference this year, and they'll obviously be starting the year behind the 8 ball due to a learning curve and later start date.

One thing I still liked is Brendan's attitude - "yeah we lost Clemente. So what? We might have two guys who are better than he was." Ok - probably not true, but you gotta like that type of fire since we've all had that fire over the past few months with everything. I just hope that fire doesn't turn into anger or frustration if Brown doesn't win games.

Either way, I'm glad the season is right around the corner, even if we all know there's going to be some serious growing pains issues this year.

http://www.uscho.com/2012/10/10/brow...-young-roster/
    Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Originally posted by eastcoastguru View Post
      I think what has happened is that it has gotten out that the coaches are not always truthful with potential recruits and the head coach does not always keep his word so they are finding it hard to attract the quality of kid they need. I have a friend who just went thru a nightmare with one of the assistant coaches basically lying over and over to the parents and the kid and then not having enough class to even call the kid back directly. You can't do that if you want to attract the right type of recruit as the hockey recruiting world is too small. My guess is until that is corrected they will have more and more decommits of good players and have an even more difficult time getting the right players in.
      Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
      Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

READY TO GO!

Official practice sessions get underway tomorrow (Friday) and the Bears' season begins with the Ivy Showcase at Meehan Auditorium on October 26-27. Dartmouth and Yale will play the opening game at 4:00 p.m. on Friday, October 26, and Brown meets Princeton in the tourney nightcap at 7:00 p.m. The two Friday winners will play for the Showcase championship on Saturday, October 27 and a consolation game is also scheduled.
        LET'S GO BRUNO!

Comment

Mike Clemente Update:

http://www.oursportscentral.com/serv...es/?id=4496557

Comment

Originally posted by bruno View Post
            The Bears' season begins with the Ivy Showcase at Meehan Auditorium on October 26-27. Dartmouth and Yale will play the opening game at 4:00 p.m. on Friday, October 26, and Brown meets Princeton in the tourney nightcap at 7:00 p.m. The two Friday winners will play for the Showcase championship on Saturday, October 27 and a consolation game is also scheduled.
            Whatever happens on Friday, Brown will play the late game on Saturday (7:00pm) against either Yale or Dartmouth.

This coming Saturday Brown will play a pre-season scrimmage at Harvard (4:00pm).

Comment

Ken Schotts' Outlook:

http://www.dailygazette.com/weblogs/...eek-3-ecac-ho/

Comment

Great article on former Brown player Ryan Garbutt:
                http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/85...caught-lockout

Note: My interest in Garbutt is from his short time as a Gwinnett Gladiator (ECHL) ... had the pleasure of watching him play a few games for us but we could all see - even in training camp - that he was a player to watch. When he got his call up to the A, we knew he would not be coming back.
                GO PURPS!
                Real Men wear PURPLE!

www.gwinnettgladiators.com

I am ... a New Yorker by birth, Southern by the Grace of God

Comment

Originally posted by 5hole View Post
                  Great article on former Brown player Ryan Garbutt:
                  http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/85...caught-lockout

Note: My interest in Garbutt is from his short time as a Gwinnett Gladiator (ECHL) ... had the pleasure of watching him play a few games for us but we could all see - even in training camp - that he was a player to watch. When he got his call up to the A, we knew he would not be coming back.
                  Interesting article. Everybody liked Ryan while he was at Brown. Truly a good kid. Unfortunately he played under the wrong system for his skills. His speed and size weren't properly utilized. His natural instinct was to go to the net, but he was told to skate up and down the wing.

Comment

I've finally gotten around to posting something new over at the blog!

Sorry for the long delay.

http://brownhockeyblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

Very nice story about Brown goaltender Marco DeFilippo in today's Providence Journal:

http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Oli...&view=ZW50aXR5

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post

We'll be able to tell more about this team after tomorrow's pre-season game against a very good Harvard squad.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post

Nothing to apologize for. Well worth the wait!! Looking forward to the games next weekend.

Comment

Euler, any comments on the Harvard scrimmage? I passed it up to see a very entertaining Bruno football win over Cornell.

For what it's worth, another ranking. Saw this mentioned on the Harvard thread

http://excalibursportspage.com/2012/...ules-12-brown/

Comment

BROWN 3 – HARVARD 1: PRE-SEASON EXHIBITION GAME

Brown played a spirited exhibition game against Harvard in Cambridge yesterday afternoon. The format was two 25-minute halves. By agreement between Brendan Whittet and Ted Donato, the teams were allowed to use as many players in the game as the coaches wanted, provided that only 18 forwards/defensemen dressed for each half. Brown used a total of 17 different forwards but only six defensemen were available (Dennis Robertson, Rich Crowley, Joey DeConsylis, Nate Widman, Brandon Pfeil and Greg Tang) due to injuries to Matt Wahl, Kyle Quick and Taki Pantziris. Goaltender Marco De Filippo played for the first half and allowed no goals. In the second half he was replaced by Anthony Borelli, who allowed one goal with less than 5 minutes left. The Brown goals were scored by Matt Harlow, Frank Drolet and Joe Prescott.

In the first half the forward line combinations were:
                              Harlow-Lorito-Jacobsen
                              Lappin-Naclerio-Prescott
                              Zaires-Lamacchia-Hathaway
                              Drolet-Hourihan-Siers

Barring injuries, these forwards should start against Princeton next Friday, with a possible fine-tuning of the line combinations. Because the injuries to Wahl, Quick and Pantziris are day-to-day, I won’t speculate on the defensive line-up for next weekend.

HIGHLIGHTS

1. The Bears played their new forechecking system to perfection, bottling up the Crimson in their defensive zone for long stretches, and generating good offensive opportunities.

2. Harlow’s goal was the result of strong forechecking and crisp passing in the offensive zone.

3. Lorito’s presence on the ice was hard to miss.

4. The freshman line played like veterans. Prescott scored a nice goal on a hard shot from the left side. Naclerio has great skills, and distributed the puck very well to his wings throughout the game.

5. Drolet, Hourihan and Siers did an excellent job as a checking/energy line. Hourihan and Siers are big men who can skate, and Drolet is as hard-working as anyone on this team and a positive role model for the younger players. It was good to see Drolet score a nice goal.

6. Chris Zaires, who has looked good in practice, played a solid first period. It would be a plus if Chris could be at least as good (and hopefully even better) than he was as a freshman.

7. I haven't seen a Brown team pass the puck as well as they did yesterday for quite some time.

8. I was very impressed with freshman defenseman Nate Widman. He has solid skills and size, and plays a little bit of a mean game. One of the problems with the Bears last year was a certain softness at defense. This won’t be the case this year.

9. Marco De Filippo was excellent in goal. He’s a big man who plays a good positional game. He gave Harvard very little net to shoot at. In the past Marco’s biggest problem were rebounds, but this seems to have been corrected.

At this point I’m obviously not ready to predict that Brown will win the ECAC, but this team appears to be much farther along in its development than I had expected. The future looks much brighter for Brown than it did a few months ago.
                              Last edited by Euler18; 10-21-2012, 01:05 PM.

Comment

New post! Read, react, comment, etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X