Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Brown Hockey 2012-2013:Climbing the ECAC Ladder

Originally posted by Euler18 View Post
    The Showcase allows the coaches to experiment and particularly to see what young players can do in game situations before the real season starts. For example, last year Coach Whittet used eight different defensemen during the weekend, giving freshmen Kyle Quick and Joey DeConsylsis the opportunity to show what they were capable of.

Ideally the Ivy Showcase would be played in a neutral site (e.g., New York City) that would allow for large attendance by alumni from the four schools. Brown and Yale tried that in 1997 and 1998 with considerable success (the games were held at Chelsea Piers and followed by a reception for alumni, players and families), but it appears that the Ivy League frowned on it (as it does on essentially any idea that makes good sense), and the game was dropped.
    Yeah, I know it's very beneficial to all the teams involved. I just want some variety is all. The neutral site idea is a terrific one, but it doesn't seem like those who organize the Showcase are interested in such a format, given that it's been around for a while now with no change.

Comment

The plan, which may or may not be realized this year, is to turn the Mayor's Cup into a city-wide family event, possibly combining it into a doubleheader with the P-Bruins and including a hockey clinic by players from both Brown and Providence College at the rink downtown. Thanksgiving weekend appears to be a good time to carry this plan out. Let's give coaches Whittet and Leaman, as well as Providence Economic Development Director Jim Bennet (Brown'79), the chance to bring it to eventual fruition.
      Ah! I did not know that! This is why we keep you around, Euler.

Kidding aside, I think that would be a great idea that would help excite local alumni and fans of both schools.

Comment

For some reason, the NHL Playoffs always get me really excited for the next Brown season. Too bad it's still 6-7 months away.

Here's to hoping we can put a somewhat disappointing 2011-2012 season behind us and take a big step forward. I may have unfairly criticized Whittet in the heat of this frustrating past season, but I think he might be able to get this team to adopt a team-oriented mentality, since it has no true superstar like Harry Z or Jack Mac to carry it. While I loved those guys, they were relied on to carry the load far too much, and we need more balanced scoring. I think Zaires needs to step up and be a leader, as he is the most offensively-talented senior on the roster. The current freshman and sophomore classes will continue to grow and develop, and they have plenty of experience since the team has been so young the last two years. The incoming class will have to contribute as well, and if that Roy kid is everything we hope he's going to be, we could have a very fun team to watch.

Hopefully our defensive depth improves, as well. We have one of the better pairings in the league in Robertson and Wahl, but that was about it last year. DeConcylis (sp?) showed plenty of promise, but made a lot of mistakes, and Quick never truly earned Whittet's trust enough, especially late in the season, to see substantial time. Crowley should provide good leadership and a be solid 3rd defenseman; the only question is who his partner will be as part of the 2nd unit.

Goaltending is perhaps the biggest concern. Marco looked good for a few games in the middle of the season, but absolutely crumbled down the stretch and lost Whittet's trust to the point where he refused to give an overworked and underachieving Mike Clemente a rest. Borelli has never seen significant playing time and is likely not the answer. Unless there is some stud freshman coming in, it would appear the job is DeFillippo's to lose- and that's a scary thought, given his inconsistency.

All in all, this is a big year for Brown hockey. It's certainly not do or die, but I think it would be very important to get home ice for recruiting and morale purposes. And I think we have a decent shot of achieving that.

Comment

Competition for ECAC Final Four heating up. I have no problem with either Albany or Providence!!

http://www.timesunion.com/sports/art...Cs-3493013.php

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
            For some reason, the NHL Playoffs always get me really excited for the next Brown season. Too bad it's still 6-7 months away.

Here's to hoping we can put a somewhat disappointing 2011-2012 season behind us and take a big step forward. I may have unfairly criticized Whittet in the heat of this frustrating past season, but I think he might be able to get this team to adopt a team-oriented mentality, since it has no true superstar like Harry Z or Jack Mac to carry it. While I loved those guys, they were relied on to carry the load far too much, and we need more balanced scoring. I think Zaires needs to step up and be a leader, as he is the most offensively-talented senior on the roster. The current freshman and sophomore classes will continue to grow and develop, and they have plenty of experience since the team has been so young the last two years. The incoming class will have to contribute as well, and if that Roy kid is everything we hope he's going to be, we could have a very fun team to watch.

Hopefully our defensive depth improves, as well. We have one of the better pairings in the league in Robertson and Wahl, but that was about it last year. DeConcylis (sp?) showed plenty of promise, but made a lot of mistakes, and Quick never truly earned Whittet's trust enough, especially late in the season, to see substantial time. Crowley should provide good leadership and a be solid 3rd defenseman; the only question is who his partner will be as part of the 2nd unit.

Goaltending is perhaps the biggest concern. Marco looked good for a few games in the middle of the season, but absolutely crumbled down the stretch and lost Whittet's trust to the point where he refused to give an overworked and underachieving Mike Clemente a rest. Borelli has never seen significant playing time and is likely not the answer. Unless there is some stud freshman coming in, it would appear the job is DeFillippo's to lose- and that's a scary thought, given his inconsistency.

All in all, this is a big year for Brown hockey. It's certainly not do or die, but I think it would be very important to get home ice for recruiting and morale purposes. And I think we have a decent shot of achieving that.
            Kdiff: Good post. I agree with your thoughts.
            I would add that while the O has no real proven star coming back like Harry, Jack or Volpatti in prior years, the youngsters show a lot of promise. I look forward to Lorito having a break-out year after his first year injury and adjustment slowed him down; his linemates may be critical in his development, and he and Roy have the potential to be a dynamic duo. Jacobson has potential to be an All-Star with more experience. You are right on the money with Zaires. This coming year can be his year to take over as he certainly has showed he is capable of doing so.

D could have problems once you get beyond Robertson and Wahl. Prior posts indicate that one frosh may have the ability to jump right in, Pfeil. Goalie situation really scares me. I have heard nothing about Roy. Is he an "under the radar" type recruit like Danis apparently was? Is it too late for Brendan to bring in some hot prospect? Union brought in Chris Stevens around this time last year and I would be very happy if he were Brown's goalie.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
              Kdiff: Good post. I agree with your thoughts.
              I would add that while the O has no real proven star coming back like Harry, Jack or Volpatti in prior years, the youngsters show a lot of promise. I look forward to Lorito having a break-out year after his first year injury and adjustment slowed him down; his linemates may be critical in his development, and he and Roy have the potential to be a dynamic duo. Jacobson has potential to be an All-Star with more experience. You are right on the money with Zaires. This coming year can be his year to take over as he certainly has showed he is capable of doing so.

D could have problems once you get beyond Robertson and Wahl. Prior posts indicate that one frosh may have the ability to jump right in, Pfeil. Goalie situation really scares me. I have heard nothing about Roy. Is he an "under the radar" type recruit like Danis apparently was? Is it too late for Brendan to bring in some hot prospect? Union brought in Chris Stevens around this time last year and I would be very happy if he were Brown's goalie.
              That we have no true star on offense would be beneficial, I think- IF Whittet designs an offense that utilizes a "sum of its parts" strategy, rather than having a single catalyst for all offensive production (look to the Bruins and Rangers for examples of the "sum of its parts" approach; neither would be considered the most talented team in the league, but because they have a team-first mentality, they have been two of the more successful teams this year).

Clearly, the last few years have revolved around Jack Mac and Harry Z, but without such a prolific presence on the ice, I think we could get away from reliance on a single individual.

As for your comments regarding defense, I agree. We could be looking at a season like Harry Z's senior year, where we scored plenty of goals but let in wayyyyyy too many. Hopefully one of the goalies steps it up and can be a reliable game-changer.

Comment

Goaltending is perhaps the biggest concern. Unless there is some stud freshman coming in, it would appear the job is DeFillippo's to lose- and that's a scary thought, given his inconsistency.
                Derick Roy's (Kevin's brother) goaltending stats:
                http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=160525

Comment

Derick Roy's (Kevin's brother) goaltending stats:
                  http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=160525
                  Eh. That doesn't exactly scream "starter" to me.

Comment

Transfer question - Brown, as with the other Ivies, does not appear to encourage or seek out transfers into its programs. The only one I can think of going back through the early80s is Michael Bent who transferred in from Harvard. Any thoughts as to why?

Comment

I'm SO sick of the Ivy Showcase. I think we discussed this last year, so I won't get too into it, but I'd way rather play a couple Hockey East teams (hell, let's play Providence twice! Home-and-home Mayor's Cup series!) so we get a new, refreshing challenge, rather than just losing to Dartmouth for the 50th time since Gaudet left Brown.
                      Brendan Whittet has decided that the Ivy Showcase, which Brown is hosting this year, will be played as a real tournament, with the winners of the Friday games playing each other for the championship and the losers playing for third place on Saturday.

With the concurrence of PC coach Nate Leaman, in 2013-14 Brown and PC will resume their old home-and-home series, probably on consecutive nights as part of a Mayor's Cup Weekend that would include other parallel activities.

Two forward-looking moves by Coach Whittet.

Comment

I saw this on e-bay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...E:B:SS:US:1123

Comment

Brendan Whittet has decided that the Ivy Showcase, which Brown is hosting this year, will be played as a real tournament, with the winners of the Friday games playing each other for the championship and the losers playing for third place on Saturday.

With the concurrence of PC coach Nate Leaman, in 2013-14 Brown and PC will resume their old home-and-home series, probably on consecutive nights as part of a Mayor's Cup Weekend that would include other parallel activities.

Two forward-looking moves by Coach Whittet.
                          Hey! I'm a mind-reader!

Good moves by Whittet. Should make both events more exciting.

Comment

DEFENSEMAN DENNIS ROBERTSON TO SERVE AS 2012-2013 BROWN CAPTAIN

As expected, rising junior defenseman Dennis Robertson has been chosen captain of the 2012-2013 Brown men's hockey team. Seniors Richie Crowley, Chris Zaires and Frank Drolet, and junior Garnett Hathaway will serve as assistant captains.

http://www.brownbears.com/sports/m-h...20120508reqfxo

Comment

It's not often that you see 4 assistant captains...in fact, I don't know if I can remember ever seeing it before!

Interesting that Drolet was nominated, given his general lack of playing time throughout his career.

Comment

It's not often that you see 4 assistant captains...in fact, I don't know if I can remember ever seeing it before!

Interesting that Drolet was nominated, given his general lack of playing time throughout his career.
                                SLU did it a few years ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X