Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ryecheers View Post
    Are you suggesting that BC would consider him as this year's "Johnny?"
    There was a coaching change at Northeastern. Different circumstances unless i am spacing completely and Brown has a new head coach.
    National Champions: 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949
    Hockey East Tournament Champions: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2005, 2001, 1999, 1998, 1990, 1987
    Hockey East Regular Season Champions: 2014, 2012, 2011, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2001, 1991, 1990, 1989, 1987, 1986, 1985

Originally posted by SteveF
    two things you need to know about the current state of BU hockey

a) fanboys chanted 'thank you seniors' at the beanpot
    b) fanboys chanted 'wheres your beanpot' while getting blown out in the semis of the HE tournament

Comment

• Re: Brown Hockey 2012-2013:Climbing the ECAC Ladder

I've gone back and forth on how I feel about the whole thing. At first, yes, it is hard not to be emotional and feel double-crossed. Then after some more thought, I kept thinking "What would it be like if I were scrutinized and taken to task for every questionable decision I made when I was 18?"

It sucks. A lot. But you have to accept this situation for what it is. An 18 year-old with a lot of different people telling him a lot of different things. However, I'm not here to wave a finger and say people are being too hard on him either.

Welcome to adulthood. There are consequences from every decision you make and promise you break. Think hard before making your choices.
      Last edited by KFBS; 07-24-2012, 04:42 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by REDMEN2002 View Post
        There was a coaching change at Northeastern. Different circumstances unless i am spacing completely and Brown has a new head coach.
        IIRC, didn't NU lose 3 recruits after that coaching change? And NU released them all of their LOI commitment or they would have had to sit a year before playing for another NCAA program.
        'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
          And NU released them all of their LOI commitment or they would have had to sit a year before playing for another NCAA program.
          Doesn't the NCAA allow transfers for recruits without penalty when there's a coaching change?
          Quinnipiac Bobcats
          2023 National Champions
          ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
          ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
          East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
          Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
          Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
          Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
            Doesn't the NCAA allow transfers for recruits without penalty when there's a coaching change?
            Not usually. It is in the by-laws that a coaching change does not relieve a recruit from his LOI, or a current player from sitting a year if he leaves. At least that's how it was written a few years ago, and I am not aware of any changes since. It is up to the school whether or not to relieve a recruit from a signed LOI for any reason. The NCAA will make a waiver in special circumstances, most recent example at Penn State football.

FWIW, LOI's are a contract between the school (not the athletic department) and the recruit, and are only offered to be signed in conjunction with the offer of an athletic scholarship. So, the Letter of Intent (LOI) is a contract signed by the recruit that he/she commits to attend that institution for a specified academic year. In return for that commitment, the recruit will receive an athletic scholarship for a specified amount of money for that academic year. The penalty for breaking an LOI is that the student athlete has to serve one year in residence (full-time, two semesters or three quarters) at the next NLI member institution and lose one season of competition in all sports. Link.

In this instance, Brown does not offer athletic scholarships and therefore there is not a signed LOI. The student athlete is free to de-commit and attend another school and play a sport without penalty.
            'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
              Here is another link that answers your question directly.

"Coaching Change: A prospective student‐athlete signs an NLI with an institution, not with a coach. If the coach leaves, the prospect is still bound by the provisions of the NLI."

Comment

Roy says Major Jr.'s not in his future ... http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/juniorhoc...hockey,wp12789
                Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

I find it very difficult to think Roy is anything but a disingenuous backstabber. I hope he doesn't go to Providence. That would be horrible to have him in the same **** city. I read somewhere that Wisconsin wanted him. That would be perfect.
                  Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                    I find it very difficult to think Roy is anything but a disingenuous backstabber. I hope he doesn't go to Providence. That would be horrible to have him in the same **** city. I read somewhere that Wisconsin wanted him. That would be perfect.
                    While I am a BC guy, I do understand where you're coming from. But It did seem like Roy was genuine about his intentions to honor his commitment to Brown up until now. I think you have to look at the time frame when this happened. Roy just participated in the Ducks prospect camp a couple of weeks ago. It is most likely that the Ducks and his advisor sat down with him and his family and said listen, you can go play in the hockey east with your brother, in a league far superior to the ECAC with better coaching and better players to around you to help you become an NHLer. If you don't then there's a much smaller chance you do reach that goal.

Now, he probably thought it over for a bit and explored his options, and came to the decision to decommit. Its sucks but I have to think this was probably the case. Now it would be nice if he came out and said that, but lets be serious he won't do it, and the Ducks don't want him to because it wouldn't look good if he did.

The Wisconsin thing is a pipe dream of a Badgers Blog, not a real rumor. In all likelihood he's gonna end up at UVM, Northeastern, BU or BC.

Comment

Originally posted by sigx15 View Post
                      While I am a BC guy, I do understand where you're coming from. But It did seem like Roy was genuine about his intentions to honor his commitment to Brown up until now. I think you have to look at the time frame when this happened. Roy just participated in the Ducks prospect camp a couple of weeks ago. It is most likely that the Ducks and his advisor sat down with him and his family and said listen, you can go play in the hockey east with your brother, in a league far superior to the ECAC with better coaching and better players to around you to help you become an NHLer. If you don't then there's a much smaller chance you do reach that goal.

Now, he probably thought it over for a bit and explored his options, and came to the decision to decommit. Its sucks but I have to think this was probably the case. Now it would be nice if he came out and said that, but lets be serious he won't do it, and the Ducks don't want him to because it wouldn't look good if he did.

The Wisconsin thing is a pipe dream of a Badgers Blog, not a real rumor. In all likelihood he's gonna end up at UVM, Northeastern, BU or BC.
                      I think you may be right about his thought process, and while I understand the confusion and mental wrestling he probably has gone through, I will still continue to despise him indefinitely.

Comment

Originally posted by sigx15 View Post

If he went Major Junior, it would be easier to swallow. Basically he is saying Brown isn't good enough for him and he wanted to look elsewhere. That's ridiculous. I'm not going to pretend Brown is on the level of the big Hockey East schools, but he can reach his NHL goals and still end up with a Brown degree if he came and left early. If he goes to UVM or NU, it will tell me that he has no desire whatsoever to get a quality education and will make me respect him less (if that's even possible)
                        Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

If he goes to UVM or NU, it will tell me that he has no desire whatsoever to get a quality education
                          OUCH!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ryecheers View Post
                            Are you suggesting that BC would consider him as this year's "Johnny?"
                            No I'm suggesting that his quotes in the press are similar to the ridiculously dumb things said by Cody Ferriero (over several different interviews when he backtracked on previous comments and it was clear he was lying) and Chris Bourque ("I wasn't a big fan of going to school and going to class. It's not the place for me" and "I didn't think it was going to be as hard or as serious as it was.").
                            Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                            The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

...If he goes to UVM or NU, it will tell me that he has no desire whatsoever to get a quality education and will make me respect him less (if that's even possible)
                              Both NU (62) and UVM (82) are USNWR Top-100 academic schools so I don't agree he'll be deprived of a quality education at either institution. Not to eqate either with Brown (15) but they're still head-and-shoulders above the likes of North Dakota (164).

That being said, I also find the timing of the departure and the way it was done to be distasteful. Much as I might like to see NU gain a KRoy to offset the loss of Gaudreau last year, I'm not exactly smacking my lips in anticipation.
                              Last edited by Split-N; 07-25-2012, 09:23 AM.
                              "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

If he goes to UVM or NU, it will tell me that he has no desire whatsoever to get a quality education and will make me respect him less (if that's even possible)
                                It is apparent that if you did indeed attend Brown, you were in over your head and failed to broaden your views of the world or to take advantage of the educational and cultural opportunities available to you.

Both universities that you referred to have many very strong programs. Northeastern, in particular, is much stronger than it was 15 years ago. FWIW, it has been moving up steadily in the U.S. News and World beauty contest. Brown is ranked #15 (7th among Ivy League colleges). NU is #62 and UVM is #82. One might conclude that if Mr. Roy applies himself, he can get a fine education at NU or UVM. If hockey is his principal focus, he won't learn anything useful at Brown.
                                Last edited by Ryecheers; 07-25-2012, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X