Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jerry York is the best NCAA hockey coach of the last 30 years, maybe of all-time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerry York is the best NCAA hockey coach of the last 30 years, maybe of all-time

2001, 2008, 2010, 2012 BC NCAA Champs, that alone would or should cement Jerry York as one of the top 5-7 coaches in NCAA hockey history, add that title at Bowling Green and it's game over man. so kudos to Jerry York (a class act).

so, the question, Is Jerry York the best NCAA Hockey Coach of All-Time?

for my vote I'd have to say "Yes".
    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Re: Jerry York is the best NCAA hockey coach of the last 30 years, maybe of all-time

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post

so, the question, Is Jerry York the best NCAA Hockey Coach of All-Time?

for my vote I'd have to say "Yes".
    I don't know about best ever, but I'd definitely put him well ahead of Herb Brooks.

Comment

Re: Jerry York is the best NCAA hockey coach of the last 30 years, maybe of all-time

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
      I don't know about best ever, but I'd definitely put him well ahead of Herb Brooks.

he definitely is not changing the game like Johnson and some others did w/tactics or style of play (power play w/Badger Bob particularly), but...1 coach with 5 titles (and winning at 2 schools) is just unbelievable
      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

But perhaps he HAS changed it or changed the way you build a program but no one has tried to emulate it ... what with the types of players and ones that stay around for 3-4 years....we have had very few 1 or 2 and done stars at The Heights and that is a critical factor i believe

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
          But perhaps he HAS changed it or changed the way you build a program but no one has tried to emulate it ... what with the types of players and ones that stay around for 3-4 years....we have had very few 1 or 2 and done stars at The Heights and that is a critical factor i believe
          Right, he recruits undersized guys with skill and speed who won't leave early because the NHL undervalued them. Only recently have the forwards had any consistent size. This is the magic formula imo.
          Last edited by Zudnic; 04-08-2012, 08:13 AM.
          Boston College Eagle Hockey » "We want our players to leave here with a diploma in one hand and a ring in the other." - Jerry York

Try FantasyCollegeHockey.com

sigpic

"I said, it's all in our hands / got to learn to respect what we don't understand /we are fortunate ones, fortunate ones, I swear."

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
            I don't know--Blazing Saddles was wicked good.

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
              Changed? Not sure but I doubt anyone can convince me that he isn't the best coach in this era. I don' t know much about the Michigan teams in the 50s but I find it hard to believe they were any more impressive than BC is now.
              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                I don't know--Blazing Saddles was wicked good.
                That was Mel Brooks.

BOSTON COLLEGE EAGLES

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                  Changed? Not sure but I doubt anyone can convince me that he isn't the best coach in this era. I don' t know much about the Michigan teams in the 50s but I find it hard to believe they were any more impressive than BC is now.
                  I have to agree. And he's easy to like as well -- a true gentleman, yet an extremely effective coach who pats his players on the back when they do well, or leans over to offer a few words to a player in a "teachable moment". That's one thing I rarely (read never) see Umile do. He has an uncanny knack for getting his team to play their best when the games count the most.

And I also remember -- I think it was in 2007 (but it could have been 2000 -- the years tend to fade...,) when BC played for the title and lost. His dejected team started skating off the ice as (Michigan?) celebrated its championship. York called the players back to the ice to watch -- surely a painful sight -- but the message was effective, as BC won the title the following year. That always impressed me.
                  We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found ourselves than by those which have occurred to others.
                  ---Blaise Pascal

When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.
                  --Richard Dawkins

UNH Wildcats: Winners, 20XX NCAA Men's Hockey National Championship

Comment

Article I found this morning talking about Coach York...

http://excalibursportspage.com/2012/...mply-the-best/
                    Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Originally posted by goblue View Post
                      I think it was in 2007 (but it could have been 2000 -- the years tend to fade...,) when BC played for the title and lost. His dejected team started skating off the ice as (Michigan?) celebrated its championship. York called the players back to the ice to watch -- surely a painful sight -- but the message was effective, as BC won the title the following year. That always impressed me.
                      The '07 title winner was Michigan State. Pretty hard to mistake them for the team with the funny helmets.

Comment

He's been at BC for 18 seasons. In the past 15 his team has made the NCAA's 13 times. They have made the Frozen Four 10 times. They have played in the last game of the season 8 times, winning it 4 times. Never below 500 during that time. Only twice below 600. 69.4% for those 15 years.

His forty years as a DI coach may not be the greatest career in history, but these past 15 must surely be the best 15 any coach has ever had.

Now I've got to wash my own mouth out with soap.
                        Last edited by UncleRay; 04-08-2012, 10:38 AM.
                        bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                        SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                        All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                        A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

I don't think Jerry York is the best coach ever. Nor do I think Ron Mason, George Gwozdecky, or Red "I gotta pee" Berenson are the best. They are / were good coaches that get the best players handed to them on a silver platter each year.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Diamond View Post
                            I don't think Jerry York is the best coach ever. Nor do I think Ron Mason, George Gwozdecky, or Red "I gotta pee" Berenson are the best. They are / were good coaches that get the best players handed to them on a silver platter each year.
                            Yep, they just sit back and let it happen.
                            Last edited by Greyeagle; 04-08-2012, 10:28 AM.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                            And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                            Twenty red lights in his honor
                            Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Diamond View Post
                              What is wrong with you?

Oh, and your music sucks, too.
                              National Champions: 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949
                              Hockey East Tournament Champions: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2005, 2001, 1999, 1998, 1990, 1987
                              Hockey East Regular Season Champions: 2014, 2012, 2011, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2001, 1991, 1990, 1989, 1987, 1986, 1985

Originally posted by SteveF
                              two things you need to know about the current state of BU hockey

a) fanboys chanted 'thank you seniors' at the beanpot
                              b) fanboys chanted 'wheres your beanpot' while getting blown out in the semis of the HE tournament

Comment

Working...
                              X