X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gopher 2012 offseason thread

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
    You follow BC much?
    Judging by his posts leading up to the NCAA semis, I would say no.
    National Champions: 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949
    Hockey East Tournament Champions: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2005, 2001, 1999, 1998, 1990, 1987
    Hockey East Regular Season Champions: 2014, 2012, 2011, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2001, 1991, 1990, 1989, 1987, 1986, 1985

Originally posted by SteveF
    two things you need to know about the current state of BU hockey

a) fanboys chanted 'thank you seniors' at the beanpot
    b) fanboys chanted 'wheres your beanpot' while getting blown out in the semis of the HE tournament

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
      You follow BC much?
      Do you? @ 5'6"/145 he would be pioneering new ground despite with BC's propensity for recruiting midgets. My point was he needs to put on some muscle mass and a couple inches or he'll struggle in D1 (e.g. Ness). If you would like to make this statement your hobby for the summer Slap, I'm ok with that...enjoy.

Originally posted by REDMEN2002 View Post
      Judging by his posts leading up to the NCAA semis, I would say no.
      Which ones are those? Put up or shutup.

Comment

• Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
        Do you? @ 5'6"/145 he would be pioneering new ground despite with BC's propensity for recruiting midgets. My point was he needs to put on some muscle mass and a couple inches or he'll struggle in D1 (e.g. Ness). If you would like to make this statement your hobby for the summer Slap, I'm ok with that...enjoy.
        He just turned 17. He won't hit campus at 145 lbs. I agree with Slap Shot and Scooby, he'll be fine.
        @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
        On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
        High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Ryan Duncan was listed at 5'6" 142 pounds, I think he was just fine playing D1. Cammarata should be a good one, can't wait to watch him playing for the Maroon and Gold.

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
            Ryan Duncan was listed at 5'6" 142 pounds, I think he was just fine playing D1. Cammarata should be a good one, can't wait to watch him playing for the Maroon and Gold.
            Gee, Duncan was pretty awesome too. Wonder what's up Harley's ***?
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Is Sid just blowing smoke or is there anything to these rumors he mentioned in today's Strib?

Comment

• Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                Is Sid just blowing smoke or is there anything to these rumors he mentioned in today's Strib?
                For those who haven't seen it, here are Sid Hartman's recent comments on Bjugstad:

The word in NHL circles is that the Florida Panthers, who drafted the Gophers' Nick Bjugstad 19th overall in 2010, are putting a lot of pressure on him to sign and will spend a lot of money to accomplish that. Bjugstad is going to have a hard time turning down the money.

His comments kinda took me by surprise too. Everything the Panthers have been saying publicly is that they are putting no pressure on him to sign.

Panthers assistant general manager Mike Santos said no contract has been offered -- and won't be until Bjugstad comes to the Panthers. Which he hasn't. Santos said "we're not going to put any pressure on him.''

And as this SBN article states, for good reason:

But this hands-off Florida philosophy also speaks to their situation, which is simply that right now they can afford to wait. They just made the playoffs for the first time since last century, and they have the undisputed #1 farm system in hockey, one this is so ridiculously loaded that Bjugstad is only their third best prospect, and second best center. No really. The Panthers are likely to have six of their top seven prospects (not including Bjugstad obviously) in training camp this fall, and at least three of them are likely to make the team: center Jonathan Huberdeau, who has scored in the neighborhood of 9 million points in junior with the QMJHL power Saint John Seadogs (a team that includes Wild prospects Charlie Coyle and Zach Phillips), the world's top goalie prospect Jacob Markstrom, and one of forward Quinton Howden, who's considered the faster skater not playing in the NHL right now, or defensemen Colby Robak and Alex Petrovic.

So, at this point I don't know what to believe. I hope he returns. The team is going to be stacked (with or without him), and if he comes back they should be one of the preaseason favorites to win it all. And if he does sign with Florida, chances are very good he will start next season (at least) in the AHL.
                Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 05-21-2012, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                  So, at this point I don't know what to believe. I hope he returns. The team is going to be stacked (with or without him), and if he comes back they should be one of the preaseason favorites to win it all.
                  Agreed. It is always nice when the top-end players come back for another season. In this case, I think Bjugstad would certainly benefit from another year in college. Minnesota will be the clear favorite in the WCHA if he returns, and will be one of a handful of teams that should be considered pre-season favorites to win the NCAA Tourney.
                  North Dakota
                  National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

• Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                    Agreed. It is always nice when the top-end players come back for another season. In this case, I think Bjugstad would certainly benefit from another year in college. Minnesota will be the clear favorite in the WCHA if he returns, and will be one of a handful of teams that should be considered pre-season favorites to win the NCAA Tourney.
                    My thoughts exactly. As Don Lucia likes to say, plenty of players regret leaving early, but he has never met a player who has regretted waiting another year.

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                      Given Sid's source is probably George Stienbrenner...

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                      And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                      Twenty red lights in his honor
                      Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

For those who haven't seen it, here are Sid Hartman's recent comments on Bjugstad:

The word in NHL circles is that the Florida Panthers, who drafted the Gophers' Nick Bjugstad 19th overall in 2010, are putting a lot of pressure on him to sign and will spend a lot of money to accomplish that. Bjugstad is going to have a hard time turning down the money.

His comments kinda took me by surprise too. Everything the Panthers have been saying publicly is that they are putting no pressure on him to sign.

Panthers assistant general manager Mike Santos said no contract has been offered -- and won't be until Bjugstad comes to the Panthers. Which he hasn't. Santos said "we're not going to put any pressure on him.''

And as this SBN article states, for good reason:

But this hands-off Florida philosophy also speaks to their situation, which is simply that right now they can afford to wait. They just made the playoffs for the first time since last century, and they have the undisputed #1 farm system in hockey, one this is so ridiculously loaded that Bjugstad is only their third best prospect, and second best center. No really. The Panthers are likely to have six of their top seven prospects (not including Bjugstad obviously) in training camp this fall, and at least three of them are likely to make the team: center Jonathan Huberdeau, who has scored in the neighborhood of 9 million points in junior with the QMJHL power Saint John Seadogs (a team that includes Wild prospects Charlie Coyle and Zach Phillips), the world's top goalie prospect Jacob Markstrom, and one of forward Quinton Howden, who's considered the faster skater not playing in the NHL right now, or defensemen Colby Robak and Alex Petrovic.

So, at this point I don't know what to believe. I hope he returns. The team is going to be stacked (with or without him), and if he comes back they should be one of the preaseason favorites to win it all. And if he does sign with Florida, chances are very good he will start next season (at least) in the AHL.

All Florida can do is offer him rookie max, which I assume all first round picks who are not busts probably get.
                        XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                        Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

• Originally posted by Happy View Post
                          All Florida can do is offer him rookie max, which I assume all first round picks who are not busts probably get.
                          You're right. This makes Sid's comments even more puzzeling.

Comment

You're right. This makes Sid's comments even more puzzeling.
                            Chris Kluwe mentioned an error about Kluwe's time at OTA that Sid made, so I'm guessing Sid's blowing smoke out of his arse yet again.
                            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                              Chris Kluwe mentioned an error about Kluwe's time at OTA that Sid made, so I'm guessing Sid's blowing smoke out of his arse yet again.
                              Wouldn't surprise me.

Comment

Wouldn't surprise me.
                                Not in the least. He has been riding on reputation for years and years now.
                                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Working...
                                X