PDA

View Full Version : Pitt: Any thoughts on hockey?

Chris_NH
04-01-2012, 09:51 AM
Just read an article about the hotbed of college hockey talent that is western PA. That, plus Penn State's move, would seem to beg the question: What about college hockey for PITT? Is there a drumbeat for it among alumni & current administration? The FF will be at the Consol next year.

FlagDUDE08
04-01-2012, 01:31 PM
Just read an article about the hotbed of college hockey talent that is western PA. That, plus Penn State's move, would seem to beg the question: What about college hockey for PITT? Is there a drumbeat for it among alumni & current administration? The FF will be at the Consol next year.

There certainly is a lack of college hockey being played in Western PA. Mercyhurst and Robert Morris (actually in Pittsburgh) don't exist. :rolleyes:

Farce Poobah
04-01-2012, 01:35 PM
Given the pending move to ACC, I would think the school unlikely to upgrade hockey from club to varsity in the next 3-5 years. Beyond that, the growth of hockey - spurred by Penguins enthusiasm - makes it a good long term choice.

Money left on the table if they don't ...

bigmrg74
04-02-2012, 12:46 AM
Just read an article about the hotbed of college hockey talent that is western PA. That, plus Penn State's move, would seem to beg the question: What about college hockey for PITT? Is there a drumbeat for it among alumni & current administration? The FF will be at the Consol next year.How much of a drumbeat for PSU hockey was there before what, that HUGEAASS check was dropped for College Hockey to be there??

ExileOnDaytonStreet
04-02-2012, 12:15 PM
Given the pending move to ACC,

honestly, this makes me think that they're more likely to add lacrosse than hockey, even with the popularity of hockey in western PA.

Side note: let's not pretend that Mercyhurst or Robert Morris are anything but a negligible blip on the radar in the western PA sports landscape. What do they even get for average home attendance?

MUhawks628
04-02-2012, 12:17 PM
Side note: let's not pretend that Mercyhurst or Robert Morris are anything but a negligible blip on the radar in the western PA sports landscape. What do they even get for average home attendance?

1,951...combined.

ExileOnDaytonStreet
04-02-2012, 12:28 PM
1,951...combined.

Yeah... I'm going to go out on a limb and say that college hockey's presence in western PA is negligible. With those kind of numbers, one does wonder how those teams stay afloat.

4four4
04-02-2012, 12:34 PM
Lets get real here Pitt having a program is more likely to drum up interest over any local school in the western part of Penn.

FlagDUDE08
04-02-2012, 12:54 PM
Lets get real here Pitt having a program is more likely to drum up interest over any local school in the western part of Penn.

Let's take a look at how many people regularly attend games at Penn State before we start counting chickens.

4four4
04-02-2012, 01:05 PM
Let's take a look at how many people regularly attend games at Penn State before we start counting chickens.

PSU is in the middle of no where at least Pitt has a million plus people they can market their team from.

Ralph Baer
04-02-2012, 01:07 PM
PSU is in the middle of no where at least Pitt has a million plus people they can market their team from. He wants to count chickens, not people. ;)

FlagDUDE08
04-02-2012, 01:15 PM
PSU is in the middle of no where at least Pitt has a million plus people they can market their team from.

So do Canisius and Niagara (the statistical area is over a million), and look at how many people show up to those games.

redhead18
04-02-2012, 01:18 PM
Given the pending move to ACC, I would think the school unlikely to upgrade hockey from club to varsity in the next 3-5 years.What about the other school set to join the ACC...Syracuse?

FlagDUDE08
04-02-2012, 01:20 PM
What about the other school set to join the ACC...Syracuse?

They have their own problems with Title IX, hence why they have a women's team but no men's team.

Jim
04-02-2012, 02:29 PM
Penn State has discussed it on and off for at least a decade, probably longer I would guess. Not so Pitt. I don't think it is even in the cards. Just having "interest" in the neighborhood doesn't justify putting together a program, nor does it guarentee any level of success.

FlagDUDE08
04-02-2012, 02:32 PM
Penn State has discussed it on and off for at least a decade, probably longer I would guess. Not so Pitt. I don't think it is even in the cards. Just having "interest" in the neighborhood doesn't justify putting together a program, nor does it guarentee any level of success.

Yeah, really.

Did the article happen to mention that Pittsburgh has a college (men's AND women's) team in Robert Morris?