Pitt: Any thoughts on hockey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pitt: Any thoughts on hockey?

Just read an article about the hotbed of college hockey talent that is western PA. That, plus Penn State's move, would seem to beg the question: What about college hockey for PITT? Is there a drumbeat for it among alumni & current administration? The FF will be at the Consol next year.
    Chris V
    Nexton (Summerville) South Carolina

Re: Pitt: Any thoughts on hockey?

Originally posted by Chris_NH View Post
    Just read an article about the hotbed of college hockey talent that is western PA. That, plus Penn State's move, would seem to beg the question: What about college hockey for PITT? Is there a drumbeat for it among alumni & current administration? The FF will be at the Consol next year.
    There certainly is a lack of college hockey being played in Western PA. Mercyhurst and Robert Morris (actually in Pittsburgh) don't exist.

Comment

Given the pending move to ACC, I would think the school unlikely to upgrade hockey from club to varsity in the next 3-5 years. Beyond that, the growth of hockey - spurred by Penguins enthusiasm - makes it a good long term choice.

Money left on the table if they don't ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_NH View Post
        How much of a drumbeat for PSU hockey was there before what, that HUGEAASS check was dropped for College Hockey to be there??
        bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by Farce Poobah View Post
          Given the pending move to ACC,
          honestly, this makes me think that they're more likely to add lacrosse than hockey, even with the popularity of hockey in western PA.

Side note: let's not pretend that Mercyhurst or Robert Morris are anything but a negligible blip on the radar in the western PA sports landscape. What do they even get for average home attendance?
          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
            Side note: let's not pretend that Mercyhurst or Robert Morris are anything but a negligible blip on the radar in the western PA sports landscape. What do they even get for average home attendance?
            1,951...combined.

Comment

Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post
              1,951...combined.
              Yeah... I'm going to go out on a limb and say that college hockey's presence in western PA is negligible. With those kind of numbers, one does wonder how those teams stay afloat.
              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Lets get real here Pitt having a program is more likely to drum up interest over any local school in the western part of Penn.
                Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                  Lets get real here Pitt having a program is more likely to drum up interest over any local school in the western part of Penn.
                  Let's take a look at how many people regularly attend games at Penn State before we start counting chickens.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                    Let's take a look at how many people regularly attend games at Penn State before we start counting chickens.
                    PSU is in the middle of no where at least Pitt has a million plus people they can market their team from.
                    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

PSU is in the middle of no where at least Pitt has a million plus people they can market their team from.
                      He wants to count chickens, not people.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

So do Canisius and Niagara (the statistical area is over a million), and look at how many people show up to those games.

Comment

Originally posted by Farce Poobah View Post
                          Given the pending move to ACC, I would think the school unlikely to upgrade hockey from club to varsity in the next 3-5 years.
                          What about the other school set to join the ACC...Syracuse?

Comment

Originally posted by redhead18 View Post
                            What about the other school set to join the ACC...Syracuse?
                            They have their own problems with Title IX, hence why they have a women's team but no men's team.

Comment

Penn State has discussed it on and off for at least a decade, probably longer I would guess. Not so Pitt. I don't think it is even in the cards. Just having "interest" in the neighborhood doesn't justify putting together a program, nor does it guarentee any level of success.

Comment

Working...
                              X