PDA

View Full Version : UConn to apply to Hockey East

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

RSTuthill
03-30-2012, 09:18 AM
Wouldn't UConn be "traitors" if they left their current conference for a better one? I'd hate to see anyone file a law suit or something...
Which speaks to the issue of the fact that there is a right way and a wrong way to do things. Currently UConn's AD is not chairing the AHA committee on how to recover from the defection of RIT, Air Force, and Niagara from the AHA to the remains of the CCHA; and the possibility of UConn moving is not coming out of the blue. UConn gave notice months ago that it was exploring options as did Holy Cross. And most in the college hockey community assumed that this would eventually happen anyway.

College hockey is a very small community. What goes around comes around.

claver2010
03-30-2012, 09:27 AM
It's a joke off of how BC was treated when they left Conference USA, err I mean the Big East

Maybe fellow Atlantic Hockey schools should launch a lawsuit, it's worked well for Yukon

FlagDUDE08
03-30-2012, 09:32 AM
Gang

F the ECAC. Think local, like the following schools -- RIT, SLU, CCT, RPI, Union, Colgate (+ Canisius and Niagara) all in one big happy Empire.

The Terrible Puns thread is in the Café. ;)

RSTuthill
03-30-2012, 09:49 AM
It's a joke off of how BC was treated when they left
When you act ethically, these things don't happen.:)

huskymike
03-30-2012, 09:56 AM
I'm relativly new to the "behind the scenes" of college hockey. Can someone explain the idea of travel partners for me? Thanks in advance.

FlagDUDE08
03-30-2012, 10:05 AM
I'm relativly new to the "behind the scenes" of college hockey. Can someone explain the idea of travel partners for me? Thanks in advance.

Easy enough. The ECAC uses a travel partner system, where instead of one team travels to another for a weekend series, two teams travel to two different teams for a weekend. For example, let's say you have a league with teams A, B, C, and D. A and B are travel partners, while C and D are travel partners. One weekend, A and B travel to C and D. A will play C and B will play D the first night. The next night, the travel partners will switch. A will play D and B will play C. Later in the season, C and D will travel to A and B to do the same thing. At some point in the season, the travel partners (A and B, as well as C and D) will play a home/home series against each other, either in the same weekend or split across two different weeks.

The main reasoning behind it is to keep a balanced schedule, not only in terms of the number of times you play a team, but where you play them.

KnightsOfTheRound
03-30-2012, 10:12 AM

Lets say Team A and Team B are travel partners due to their geographic proximity, and Team C and Team D are travel partners due to their geographic proximity. Both travel partners tend to play home games on the same weekend, and away games on the same weekend.

On the first weekend, both Team A and Team B are playing home games, and Team C and Team D are playing road games. Their schedule might look like this:

Friday:
Team C at Team A
Team D at Team B
Saturday:
Team D at Team A
Team C at Team B

The next weekend, Teams A and B go on the road and this time Teams C and D both play at home. The schedule looks like this:

Friday:
Team A at Team C
Team B at Team D
Saturday:
Team B at Team C
Team A at Team D

Since Teams A and B are so close, Teams C and D save money on travel and lodging the weekend they go on the road, and Teams A and B save money when they have to visit Teams C and D.

Sorry if that's a little too complicated. I tried to simplify it as much as possible. The two sets of travel partners don't necessarily have to play each other in home and home in successive weekends, but over the course of the season each set of travel partners will travel to the other.

LTsatch
03-30-2012, 10:19 AM

The same two teams travel to away games every other weekend during the conference "season" .

Example- Yale and Brown are travel partners, they will travel for Friday and Saturday games against Qunnipiac and Princeton , who are also travel partners.

It is a system that is supposed to keep travel costs in check by having the two traveling schools head to the same general geographic area, in principle.

The ECAC travelling partners are
Yale-Brown
QU-Princeton
Harvard-Dartmouth
RPI-Union
SLU-Clarkson
Cornell-Colgate

LtPowers
03-30-2012, 10:20 AM
And ECAC fans want you too. Instantly would be the second biggest fan base in the league and it would give us an obvious tournament site.

Rochester is an obvious tournament site for the ECAC? I should think Syracuse would be more obvious (and Albany even moreso). Weren't people just complaining about how far west Rochester was?

Powers &8^]

LTsatch
03-30-2012, 10:20 AM
Who says people aren't helpful on this message board, nice job guys.

LtPowers
03-30-2012, 10:21 AM
We want out of that garbage AHA league.

Speak for yourself. It's not a perfect league by any means, but as of right now it represents our best chance to make the NCAA tournament in any given year.

Powers &8^]

LTsatch
03-30-2012, 10:25 AM
Rochester is an obvious tournament site for the ECAC? I should think Syracuse would be more obvious (and Albany even moreso). Weren't people just complaining about how far west Rochester was?

Powers &8^]

Even though we share the same rank ;) I would not travel to either site from New Haven.

lmg6841
03-30-2012, 10:32 AM
Speak for yourself. It's not a perfect league by any means, but as of right now it represents our best chance to make the NCAA tournament in any given year.

Powers &8^]

Sorry but I'm sick of having a season that's realistically only 3 weekends long. I want more than one shot at the NCAA tournament and I want other schools to start looking at RIT with concern instead of "eh, we'll probably win... they may get lucky though." That's only going to happen when we put ourselves in a tougher conference, draw better recruits, and grow as a team.

Sure... the AHA is getting "stronger"... sort of. Our OOC record is improving at the rate far slower than I'd like to see RIT advancing on the national scale. Even if RITs OOC is phenomenal one year, our PWR will still be awful because of all the AHA games.

Humanoid
03-30-2012, 11:23 AM
Sorry but I'm sick of having a season that's realistically only 3 weekends long. I want more than one shot at the NCAA tournament and I want other schools to start looking at RIT with concern instead of "eh, we'll probably win... they may get lucky though." That's only going to happen when we put ourselves in a tougher conference, draw better recruits, and grow as a team.

Sure... the AHA is getting "stronger"... sort of. Our OOC record is improving at the rate far slower than I'd like to see RIT advancing on the national scale. Even if RITs OOC is phenomenal one year, our PWR will still be awful because of all the AHA games.

That's the same PWR that's actually going to be diluted a little bit in Hockey East because they're hypothetically adding one of those teams that kills the PWR in AHA.

Historically, the PWR is destroyed in AHA because of Bentley, UConn, AIC, and Sacred Heart. Army has really been down the last couple years, and Holy Cross has historically done fairly well. Now that Bentley's up and Army's down you can swap them; that leaves really 3 teams that are killing the PWR in the conference on a consistent basis. Hard to fathom but the AHA might actually get *better* if UConn takes their team to the HEA.

They really need teams to win some OOC games; if UConn still hosts the holiday tournament and invites an AHA team, that will help since the number for UConn automatically gets better when they leave. I swear this made sense in my head and on the notebook I was scribbling math down on.

Ralph Baer
03-30-2012, 11:39 AM
Lets say Team A and Team B are travel partners due to their geographic proximity, and Team C and Team D are travel partners due to their geographic proximity. Both travel partners tend to play home games on the same weekend, and away games on the same weekend.

On the first weekend, both Team A and Team B are playing home games, and Team C and Team D are playing road games. Their schedule might look like this:

Friday:
Team C at Team A
Team D at Team B
Saturday:
Team D at Team A
Team C at Team B

The next weekend, Teams A and B go on the road and this time Teams C and D both play at home. The schedule looks like this:

Friday:
Team A at Team C
Team B at Team D
Saturday:
Team B at Team C
Team A at Team D

Since Teams A and B are so close, Teams C and D save money on travel and lodging the weekend they go on the road, and Teams A and B save money when they have to visit Teams C and D.

Sorry if that's a little too complicated. I tried to simplify it as much as possible. The two sets of travel partners don't necessarily have to play each other in home and home in successive weekends, but over the course of the season each set of travel partners will travel to the other.

One small correctiion. The Friday and Saturday games should be reversed the second time the two pairs meet to negate any advantage or disadvantage of playing either team first.

RSTuthill
03-30-2012, 11:40 AM
One less vote for cost containment in the AHA too. But be careful what you wish for. If the AHA went to 18 rides, RIT could find itself looking up at everyone else.

lmg6841
03-30-2012, 11:55 AM
One less vote for cost containment in the AHA too. But be careful what you wish for. If the AHA went to 18 rides, RIT could find itself looking up at everyone else.

Short term yes, but our president has said several times that RIT is looking at moving atheletics up to D2 so we can offer D1 scholarships.

FlagDUDE08
03-30-2012, 12:00 PM
Short term yes, but our president has said several times that RIT is looking at moving atheletics up to D2 so we can offer D1 scholarships.

There goes your Liberty League rivalry argument. ;)

chickod
03-30-2012, 12:08 PM
This from the USCHO article about UConn hockey ("Hockey East Looking to Add Connecticut?"):

Also, while games would be played at the XL Center, the Freitas Ice Forum would need a major upgrade, if only for recruiting and practicing.

This seems LUDICROUS to me. None of the Hockey East teams can even fill an 8,000 arena and UConn is going to play in a 17,000 seat one??? Just who do they think is going to go? And they would be the only conference school that plays their games off campus.

KnightsOfTheRound
03-30-2012, 12:12 PM
This from the USCHO article about UConn hockey ("Hockey East Looking to Add Connecticut?"):

Also, while games would be played at the XL Center, the Freitas Ice Forum would need a major upgrade, if only for recruiting and practicing.

This seems LUDICROUS to me. None of the Hockey East teams can even fill an 8,000 arena and UConn is going to play in a 17,000 seat one??? Just who do they think is going to go? And they would be the only conference school that plays their games off campus.

They'd be better off playing in 2000 seat Freitas. At least conceivably theres a chance the games could be a hot ticket if theres low supply