PDA

View Full Version : UConn to apply to Hockey East

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48

Patman
04-13-2013, 01:42 AM
Every conference needs a doormat. Why not let UCONN be Hockey East's doormat??

because we already have vermont.

Fishman'81
04-13-2013, 03:01 AM
UConn will be a better program than either Yale or The Q in a couple of years, is my guess...

The ECAC has had a banner-year, but HEA will still out-last it in the near future, anyway. Look for the Huskies to out-recruit their CT brethren as soon as they officially join the league.

Patman
04-13-2013, 11:33 AM
UConn will be a better program than either Yale or The Q in a couple of years, is my guess...

The ECAC has had a banner-year, but HEA will still out-last it in the near future, anyway. Look for the Huskies to out-recruit their CT brethren as soon as they officially join the league.

That is intensely idiotic given what we are seeing right now

mookie1995
04-13-2013, 12:00 PM
You should start raising banners for these immaterial things so you will be able to raise something to the rafters in our lifetime. :D

We could have added holy cross. They would then be able to borrow this same banner :p

Carmine Scarpaglia
04-13-2013, 11:49 PM

You see what Umass has done recently? That's basically what Uconn's future is.

mookie1995
04-13-2013, 11:55 PM

May have set the bar too high there

Carmine Scarpaglia
04-13-2013, 11:57 PM
You've got buyer's remorse. I got it the first time.

But let's just see if Pecknold can do what Jerry York does on a regular basis, namely reload year after year (except maybe not this year). I'm doubting it. And most of QU's best players will be gone next year. Let's see how UConn does next year with 12 rides instead of whatever it was this year (not more than six I am guessing). My advice is to relax. What you are seeing this weekend is the result of random variation. It is not the start of a dynasty.

Btw, the B1G rumors could be true if the CT Legislature coughs up another $2 billion and that gets them into the AAU. So you may still get another bite at the QU apple if that is what you want.

Oh ya, the B1G is just waiting for Uconn to join the AAU to invite them. Not a single conference wants Uconn. If they were wanted, they would have had conferences lining up for them and they'd be somewhere by now. The fact of the matter is, Uconn doesn't provide a tv market or a good football team. No one in Boston or NYC cares about them, you're in the middle of both but don't dip into either one significantly. FB is a mess. But hey, we have great nags hoops, why doesn't everyone want us!?!?!!?!?!?? Basically now that Umass moved up to D1 football (which is ridiculous but whatever floats their boat), Uconn is Umass, just swap out lacrosse for nags hoops.

Fishman'81
04-14-2013, 02:11 AM
That is intensely idiotic given what we are seeing right now

Go ahead and vent if it makes you feel better, but UConn has the national recognition in college sports that should get them better recruits, IMO.

We'll see, but I highly doubt that either the Q or Yale will sustain their current excellence into the next season.

(Quinnipiac graduates 11 Seniors; where do you think they'll finish next year?)

Fishman'81
04-14-2013, 02:30 AM

UMass was on the national radar very briefly, and quite a while ago... (I refer to the Camby/Calipari thing in hoops 15 years back.)

I really don't care at all how UConn fares in HE, but I'm pretty sure that they have more to sell right now than UMass has ever had across the board, and certainly more in terms of hockey than either of the other two CT schools.

Time will tell, but UConn hockey looks to be a great place to make a splash right now, IMO.

Dutchfan
04-14-2013, 02:39 AM
UConn has the national recognition in college sports that should get them better recruits, IMO.

Good point, I guess that explains why Ohio State is in the Frozen Four all the time.

Fishman'81
04-14-2013, 02:48 AM
Ohio State is not a hockey school. UConn might be one.

Butch
04-14-2013, 03:59 AM
claver2010 just loves UConn but won't admit it. Long time no see, claver2010! Based on your points, how the heck did BC get into the ACC?

We should be fine, hopefully. Our AD is a Michigan alum and is hands-on with the hockey program. We absolutely need a new rink.

Being a Yalie, too...GO BULLDOGS! Kind of feel sad for QU, but Yale was so overdue.

claver2010
04-14-2013, 08:04 AM
UMass was on the national radar very briefly, and quite a while ago... (I refer to the Camby/Calipari thing in hoops 15 years back.)

So as long as they pay their players and accept illiterates they can make a splash?

Well given what their basketball program just went through, they might be halfway there

Wow

claver2010 just loves UConn but won't admit it

Nailed it.

LtPowers
04-14-2013, 10:07 AM
But hey, we have great nags hoops, why doesn't everyone want us!?!?!!?!?!??

I gotta ask, what's "nags hoops"?

Powers &8^]

J.D.
04-14-2013, 10:48 AM

What great insight. A long time ago, some Buckeye rumpswab said the same thing.

I really don't care at all how UConn fares in HE, but I'm pretty sure that they have more to sell right now than UMass has ever had across the board, and certainly more in terms of hockey than either of the other two CT schools.

Another brilliant point because we all know UMass hockey has turned into a powerhouse. But hey, if you want to hang your hat on UConn being better than UMass, not a problem. They can share the Hockey East basement...there's plenty of room. In fact, I can already see the two teams meeting in the new first round of the HE playoffs. And UConn, without a rink or a coach even in the same stratosphere of Pecknold/Allain has more to sell in terms of hockey than Yale/QU at this very moment? That is asinine.

We'll see, but I highly doubt that either the Q or Yale will sustain their current excellence into the next season.

The fact that you specifically said "next season" shows how short-sighted you are. This isn't about what these two teams do NEXT year. It's about the program and how they do going forward, as in many years to come. And looking at how they've done under their current coaches. I don't think QU has had a losing season under Pecknold in DI. He built the program and got it into the ECAC, where as UConn was simply handed a spot in Hockey East they didn't deserve. Unless you think bending over and taking it in the rear in Atlantic Hockey is "deserving". It's a great opportunity for UConn if they are serious, but let's pump the brakes. They have a ways to go to even be mentioned along with QU and Yale (you know, the national champions). Allain has had them in the tourney a few times now, this isn't a one shot deal. He recruits talented, high-end forwards who can really play.

Carmine Scarpaglia
04-14-2013, 10:51 AM
Go ahead and vent if it makes you feel better, but UConn has the national recognition in college sports that should get them better recruits, IMO.

Great point. I know a ton of high school hockey players that want to go to Uconn because everyone knows they have a great nags hoops team. It really helps a lot!!!!!

They'll improve recruiting because it will be from adding scholarships and moving to a better conference. But they'll be getting a lot worse than sloppy 2nds in the state of Connecticut with what BC and BU drill out of there (and even Michigan lately) not to mention obviously the Quinnipiac and Yale factor. It won't be pretty in relation to the other teams in HE.

Uconn with bad facilities is going to be a tougher sell than Umass. What exactly do they have to sell once they get into HE? Playing time? Best case scenario they grab an under the radar goalie that turns into gold and a euro and add in 20-year old Canadian freshmen that are a dime a dozen and get a 2-year flash in the pan run that results in no trophies like we've seen from Umass and Merrimack. Then maybe raise a banner for being "competitive"...

Patman
04-14-2013, 11:21 AM

(Quinnipiac graduates 11 Seniors; where do you think they'll finish next year?)

You do notice that I am UConn alumni, yes?

Hux
04-14-2013, 11:56 AM

Worked out well for the women's program eh?

Patman
04-14-2013, 12:03 PM
Worked out well for the women's program eh?

They had that incredibly adorable goalie when I was there... Sounds like good recruiting to me ;) :p :D

Butch
04-14-2013, 05:30 PM
You do notice that I am UConn alumni, yes?
You are a UConn alum (not alumni, alumni is plural) and you don't care for UConn hockey to grow? Are you out of your mind? We do have potential. It would be absolutely great to have three programs in the state in premiere conferences.