PDA

View Full Version : UConn to apply to Hockey East

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 48

RSTuthill
06-21-2012, 06:13 AM
UCONN will make a coaching change if they move to HE. Marshall will be offerred hockey director/ opertions for the school. UCONN has a short list of coaches if they move to HE. Rick Bennett is #1 on that list. They should add Toot and i promise UCONN will pay any buyout at Union.
This is a business. People in power are most comfortable with their own guys, that is an absolute fact, so whatever happens I will not be surprised. It is certainly true that the new AD and President may want their own guy in there if they are going to take the risk of going down this path. Failure is not an option here so they may indeed make a change given that pressure. In fact, the situation may have induced Toot to take the position he took with UMass. Who knows? We will just have to wait and see how it plays out. Yeah, and I agree that if they do make a change, Bennett would also be a natural target although the pieces were in place before he took over were they not?

Nick Papagiorgio
06-21-2012, 09:19 AM
Failure is not an option here so they may indeed make a change given that pressure.

Are you talking about just this next coaching hire if Uconn decides to make a change or the overall outlook on Uconn hockey for the next, say, 100 years?

Jim
06-21-2012, 09:24 AM
My guess is Marshall will have the job for a while and they'll see how he does with the additional resources. Wouldn't be surprised to see a change made fairly quickly, though. But the reality is that no matter who the coach is, the first few years will be difficult and UCONN will lag for a couple of those years in terms of facilities. The result is that they can give Marshall a few years to make the transition if they choose.

As far as his record goes, I am of the opinion that he did what he could with the hand he was dealt. Not having scholarships was a huge limitaiton, as was the inability to provide much if any assistance to Canadians. UCONN pretty much had to sell its facilities which were better than many AHA facilities, and its academic reputation, which is probably somewhat better than many AHA schools, but that's a tough case to make when the other guys are offereing scholarships. as for his reputation with the players, I think that is in part a result of the non-scholarship nature of the program. for all intents and purposes you have to try out every season.

Wicked Slappaahs
06-21-2012, 09:30 AM
This is a business. People in power are most comfortable with their own guys, that is an absolute fact, so whatever happens I will not be surprised. It is certainly true that the new AD and President may want their own guy in there if they are going to take the risk of going down this path. Failure is not an option here so they may indeed make a change given that pressure. In fact, the situation may have induced Toot to take the position he took with UMass. Who knows? We will just have to wait and see how it plays out. Yeah, and I agree that if they do make a change, Bennett would also be a natural target although the pieces were in place before he took over were they not?

I dont see Bennett leaving for UConn. He had interest/offers this off season from the AHL, but chose to stay at Union --he just signed a great new contract, the school and the Admin are 4 square behind the team, and from what I have seem of him, he has every intention of putting his own mark on the Union program - erasing the "Leaman's kids" cloud. (Even though Bennett himself recruited most of them.) Anyone who watched that Union squad this year knows that they did not skip a beat after Leaman left...thats a credit both to the kids and to Bennett.

As an an RPI fan, I'd love to see him go, but just dont see it happening now. If, a year from now we're still talking about the UConn job, then maybe. But for now he's a great stable of kids returning, including one of the top 3-4 goalies in the country, and has great recruits inbound.

LTsatch
06-21-2012, 09:31 AM
I think the AD has his hands full with his two out of control basketball programs. Hopefully he finds time to address the hockey team and it's future.

Wicked Slappaahs
06-21-2012, 09:32 AM
Haa.. you beat me to it LT !! So true. The tail is def. wagging the dog in Storrs.

MattS
06-21-2012, 09:45 AM
As far as his record goes, I am of the opinion that he did what he could with the hand he was dealt. Not having scholarships was a huge limitaiton, as was the inability to provide much if any assistance to Canadians. UCONN pretty much had to sell its facilities which were better than many AHA facilities, and its academic reputation, which is probably somewhat better than many AHA schools, but that's a tough case to make when the other guys are offereing scholarships. as for his reputation with the players, I think that is in part a result of the non-scholarship nature of the program. for all intents and purposes you have to try out every season.

Oh please. :rolleyes: These are all weak excuses for a sub-par coach. There are several of other colleges who have the same limitations that UConn had and they are successful.

Jim
06-21-2012, 09:53 AM
Oh please. :rolleyes: These are all weak excuses for a sub-par coach. There are several of other colleges who have the same limitations that UConn had and they are successful. And these would be? and don't tell me Union. They play and recruit at a much higher level...

RSTuthill
06-21-2012, 10:05 AM
Are you talking about just this next coaching hire if Uconn decides to make a change or the overall outlook on Uconn hockey for the next, say, 100 years?
I am talking about matching the football team's timeline and doing it one better. You do the math.

Btw, Union did not win a game in the ECAC for two or three years after joining. That experience will not be repeated at UConn. They will be bottom half in the league for a few years, but it won't take all that long for them to rise.

J.D.
06-21-2012, 10:48 AM
I am talking about matching the football team's timeline and doing it one better. You do the math.

Btw, Union did not win a game in the ECAC for two or three years after joining. That experience will not be repeated at UConn. They will be bottom half in the league for a few years, but it won't take all that long for them to rise.

Doing it one better? What's the college hockey equivalent of actually winning a BCS bowl game? And I'll play along...how far will UConn rise in Hockey East?

MattS
06-21-2012, 10:54 AM
And these would be? and don't tell me Union. They play and recruit at a much higher level...

What do you mean they "play and recruit at a much higher level"? Are the playing D0 or something higher than higher than DI? Last time I checked all of the non-scholarship colleges were all dealing with more or less the same restrictions. You listed scholarships as the main problem Marshall had even though they had the pluses of "its facilities which were better than many AHA facilities, and its academic reputation, which is probably somewhat better than many AHA schools" and yet he still couldn't win. So if scholarships were the issue, same as all the other colleges, and yet they have the pluses of facilities and academics then why weren't they winning in the AHA? To me that screams coaching and recruiting as the problems.

Union won 2 games it's first season in the ECAC.

RSTuthill
06-21-2012, 11:35 AM
Against whom, exactly? Not against ECAC opponents, because they had like a two year losing streak.

burgie12
06-21-2012, 11:37 AM
You're letting facts slip into your arguments. Shame on you. Next you'll be telling me that they won three in their second season and finished in the top half of the conference in their third!

burgie12
06-21-2012, 11:38 AM
Against whom, exactly? Not against ECAC opponents, because they had like a two year losing streak.
I'll refer you to this document, good sir. (http://ecachockey.com/men/history/Summaries-II_.pdf) I would recommend the 1991-2 Season Summary (page 10).

Or perhaps you would prefer this document (http://www.unionathletics.com/documents/2012/2/15/Media_Guide.pdf) (page 72). Jan 17 at Dartmouth W, 2-1 (OT); Feb 22 at Cornell W 6-4

MattS
06-21-2012, 11:48 AM

Just because you asked so nicely...

They won 2-1 in OT against Dartmouth on 1/17/92 and then 6-4 at Cornell on 2/22/92.

And I am not sure where you got the 2 year losing streak from. I believe they have won at least one conference game every year they have been in the ECAC.

Nick Papagiorgio
06-21-2012, 11:49 AM
I am talking about matching the football team's timeline

Timeline:
- Upgrade leagues
- 3 of the best teams leave the league
- Pretend to be good

Since I can't remember the exact dates for these past football events except the last one (current), can you tell me when you plan on BC, BU, and UNH/Maine leaving Hockey East so I can match up the timelines? And which conference will they be joining?

Btw, Union did not win a game in the ECAC for two or three years after joining. That experience will not be repeated at UConn.

That's nice. Seeing Uconn raise a banner for winning 1 league game against a fellow bottom-feeder will surely establish to recruits that you guys mean business! I'll be sure to stop by and congratulate the program on such a great Little Lebowski achievement.

Whoops looks like your fun fact on Union wasn't a fact. Hey, the whole post was Fantasyland, so at least you were consistent.

RSTuthill
06-21-2012, 11:55 AM
Just because you asked so nicely...

They won 2-1 in OT against Dartmouth on 1/17/92 and then 6-4 at Cornell on 2/22/92.

And I am not sure where you got the 2 year losing streak from. I believe they have won at least one conference game every year they have been in the ECAC.
Wow, I stand corrected. My memory is deficient because I was sure that I read a NYT's article on this subject that stated that. Guess not. My apologies.

Ralph Baer
06-21-2012, 12:00 PM
Wow, I stand corrected. My memory is deficient because I was sure that I read a NYT's article on this subject that stated that. Guess not. My apologies.

Perhaos you were thinking about the Union women.

RSTuthill
06-21-2012, 12:08 PM
Timeline:
- 3 of the best teams leave the league
Since West Virginia just left, we aren't counting them. So far I have VA Tech and Miami (the latter of which is not so great anymore). Who is your third? Someone who never won the league or went to a BCS Bowl perhaps?

MattS
06-21-2012, 12:09 PM
Perhaos you were thinking about the Union women.

Their longest losing streak is 22 games so that isn't it either.