PDA

View Full Version : UConn to apply to Hockey East

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

LTsatch
05-27-2012, 08:46 PM
He was talking about regular joe student. From PA west and south, THE state university matters. People like to see their kids go there. North and east of PA all people care about are private schools.

I have one in UCONN and one in Southern CT and could not be prouder or happier with the education they are receiving. The price is right as well. Due to the in state tuition cost
UCONN is getting harder and harder to be admitted to. The State of CT in the past few years has also allowed more out of state students into the school to collect the higher tuitions.

mookie1995
05-27-2012, 11:15 PM
I have one in UCONN and one in Southern CT and could not be prouder or happier with the education they are receiving. The price is right as well. Due to the in state tuition cost
UCONN is getting harder and harder to be admitted to. The State of CT in the past few years has also allowed more out of state students into the school to collect the higher tuitions.

i'm not saying they are right, i'm just saying...

Jim
05-29-2012, 12:40 PM
UCONN is getting harder and harder to be admitted to. The State of CT in the past few years has also allowed more out of state students into the school to collect the higher tuitions. UCONN has been accepting more out of state students for a number of years now. It isn't about collecting higher tuitions...good heavens the mumber and the amount of additonal tuition money is negligible...it is about developing a first class public university, something which UCONN is doing very effectively. The concept is to accept better and better students to raise the bar for everyone. many people either don't get, or prefer not to get that UCONN is not a "saftey school" any more. You don't get accepted because you filled out the application and you live in Wethersfield.

Patman
05-29-2012, 12:56 PM
UCONN has been accepting more out of state students for a number of years now. It isn't about collecting higher tuitions...good heavens the mumber and the amount of additonal tuition money is negligible...it is about developing a first class public university, something which UCONN is doing very effectively. The concept is to accept better and better students to raise the bar for everyone. many people either don't get, or prefer not to get that UCONN is not a "saftey school" any more. You don't get accepted because you filled out the application and you live in Wethersfield.

It's about collecting higher tuitions. I agree with you that have standards have increased (along with the ****** quotient) the budget is certainly a concern, especially as the state has cut back funding. It is also an element in being a regional player but in the end the game is $$$$. Every major research institution is like that.

I would also say that the tuition difference is hardly neglible. Nominally my (waived) tuition had a New England discount on it. You see what it is when you have to pay in full and the difference.

schiegs
05-29-2012, 01:24 PM
For the record, nearly every college and university has experienced lower acceptance rates ("We're becoming more selective") over the past decade. While individual instituions claim such, it is much more due to the fact that the common application system employed by most universities makes it MUCH easier to apply, therefore students are applying to a dozen or so schools, instead of 3 or 4, as in the past. Its also a demographic phenomenon of all boats rising with the tide.

RSTuthill
05-29-2012, 03:42 PM
The concept is to accept better and better students to raise the bar for everyone. many people either don't get, or prefer not to get that UCONN is not a "saftey school" any more. You don't get accepted because you filled out the application and you live in Wethersfield.
Indeed, Robbie Frey, who ran back an Oklahoma kickoff for a 95 yard TD in the Fiesta Bowl could not get into the School of Education graduate program as a rising senior. He elected to transfer to Kutztown State rather than being the featured running back for UConn last year. So I am not buying this anyone can get in theory although the Education grad program is exceptionally selective.

bigmrg74
05-29-2012, 09:49 PM
Indeed, Robbie Frey, who ran back an Oklahoma kickoff for a 95 yard TD in the Fiesta Bowl could not get into the School of Education graduate program as a rising senior. He elected to transfer to Kutztown State rather than being the featured running back for UConn last year. So I am not buying this anyone can get in theory although the Education grad program is exceptionally selective.
It's Kutztown University. Not Kutztown State.

LTsatch
05-29-2012, 09:59 PM
It's Kutztown University. Not Kutztown State.

Do they have a hockey team? Maybe Hockey East will consider them!

rpi82
05-30-2012, 07:23 AM
For the record, nearly every college and university has experienced lower acceptance rates ("We're becoming more selective") over the past decade. While individual instituions claim such, it is much more due to the fact that the common application system employed by most universities makes it MUCH easier to apply, therefore students are applying to a dozen or so schools, instead of 3 or 4, as in the past. Its also a demographic phenomenon of all boats rising with the tide.

It's not just lower acceptance rates, UConn's enrolled students are statistically far better than 10-20 years ago. In large part that is because of the state of CT's massive $1B+ investment in the school. When we moved here almost 20 years ago the campus was an embarrassment and it was overwhelmingly a safety school. That's not to say there weren't some good students - I know some very bright grads from that era - but invariably their motivation for enrolling was purely financial. Had they been able to afford better they would have taken it. In our middle class town any student in the top 50%-60% of the senior class was virtually guaranteed admission.

Now, the campus is first rate and still improving. Applicants beyond the top 1/3 from our well-regarded HS are likely to be denied - and sometimes even in the top 1/3. Even more important, far more kids in the top 10% are actually enrolling rather than using it as a fallback position. A couple of years ago the salutatorian enrolled. Last year 2 of the top 10 (in a class of approximately 500) enrolled. That rarely happened a decade ago and may be a tribute to the investment in the UConn Honors College, which is extremely selective. By virtually any metric (test scores, high school class honors, National Merit honors, etc.) the student body today is far stronger than it was a decade or more ago.

RSTuthill
05-30-2012, 09:00 AM
Guess I got the story slightly incorrect. HCPP did help him into the Education masters program or at least into some MS level courses that would have provided a pathway to full admission. But he had apparently felt he had gone too far down the road to transferring to Kutztown University (much nearer home) that he did indeed transfer. Guessing the influence from home might have been a factor.

RSTuthill
05-30-2012, 09:03 AM
That's not to say there weren't some good students - I know some very bright grads from that era -
John Krenicki Jr., President, CEO, GE Energy is one notable grad from that era. BS Mechanical Engineering. He attends UConn football games on occasion.

Patman
05-30-2012, 09:41 AM
Guess I got the story slightly incorrect. HCPP did help him into the Education masters program or at least into some MS level courses that would have provided a pathway to full admission. But he had apparently felt he had gone too far down the road to transferring to Kutztown University (much nearer home) that he did indeed transfer. Guessing the influence from home might have been a factor.

Considering the double duty he would have had to pull... My guess is that he judged it wasn't worth opposite his long term goal. IMO, I believe he wanted to set up his next career more than his next carry. Also, if he doesn't do well "out of the gate" that might hurt future ambition. There will people there as smart or smarter without having to play football... And you don't exactly transfer credits in grad school.

RSTuthill
05-30-2012, 09:51 AM
Think you need something like a 3.5 as an undergrad to do a graduate degree in the Neag School. Tough to get in and then to compete once you do.

Jim
05-30-2012, 10:15 AM
rpi82 I think is pretty much on target. And increasing the number of non-Connecticut students was part and parcel of the whole effort to upgrade the University which began back in the late 80s-early 1990s when Lew Rome took over as chariman of the Board of Trustees. At that time, the undergraduate student body was about 80% Connecticut residents. I haven't seen the recent numbers, but it last time I looked it was closer to 75%. A significant change, but hardlyenough to balance the budget...the idea was to bring in more higher level students, plain and simple.

RSTuthill
06-03-2012, 01:10 PM
Good article by Jeff Jacobs in this morning's Sunday Courant:

http://www.courant.com/sports/other/hc-jacobs-column-0603-20120602,0,6213147.column

rpi82
06-03-2012, 08:54 PM
Good article by Jeff Jacobs in this morning's Sunday Courant:

http://www.courant.com/sports/other/hc-jacobs-column-0603-20120602,0,6213147.column

If anyone had doubts about UConn being the 12th member of HE, that should just about end them. No AD is going to sound that optimistic unless he feels that all the ducks are lined up, both internally and with the league.

LTsatch
06-03-2012, 09:00 PM
I did not know much about Mr. Manuel, but from his answers it sounds like UCONN has hired a forward thinking smart AD, just what they really need.

Jim
06-08-2012, 03:39 PM
Anyone have a link to the UCONN Study? the one I had went via the hartford Courant but seems not exist any more...

And when are th eHEA meetings schedule?

RSTuthill
06-09-2012, 01:13 PM
Anyone have a link to the UCONN Study? the one I had went via the hartford Courant but seems not exist any more...

And when are th eHEA meetings schedule?
This coming week should be the week we'll hear something, I would think. Got my #18 Krygier away sweater with me on my trip to Europe this week for good luck. Fingers crossed.

Tater
06-09-2012, 01:15 PM
I hear from someone who met the UConn AD, that there will be a HEA meeting regarding UConn membership on June 20th.