PDA

View Full Version : UConn to apply to Hockey East

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

FlagDUDE08
05-15-2012, 03:55 PM
Neither...

...yet. ;)

Jim
05-15-2012, 04:05 PM
I have a few questions...do you think that UConns .370 winning perecentage in the last 9 seasons will rise with 18 Scholarships..? And with that said what top notch recruits are going to play for UConn that plays in terrible rink,is more or less a non issue on Campus compared to the M&W B-Ball and with FB getting the support needed...well think about that...even IF they put in a NEW Arena...which would take close to 3-5 years if they are lucky....may this is a long range target,but how long away..?? 5-6 to 7-8 years from 2014..?UCONN is planning to move to 18 scholarship with this move. I don't know the exact timetable, it was originally over 3-5 years but might be moved up if the move occurrs sooner, I really don't know. I don't imagine that they will go out and give 18 scholarhsips in year 1 anyway unless they have 18 deserving players. And as far as recuits and "top notch players" who knows? there are lots of reasons players select certain schools. This is a building project in my view, not a one time thing. I'm hearing within 5 years they will have a new/expanded arena on campus. In the interim they'll play Hockey East games in Hartford for the most part. Not perfect but workable for the short term. To me the model for recruiting that you have to follow is that you get guys who you can really coach up, then you coach them up. Along the way you land maybe a few guys who are better than that who either got "missed"by BC or Maine or Denver, who want to be the first something (first UCONN d1 all-american etc) or who are simply better than projected. Again, nobody is expecting UCONN to show up and win Hockey East in 2014.

also don't confuse the current UCONN program being a "non-issue" on campus with a bigger, more heavily funded and advertised one which will be involved in Hickey East. In this case UCONN football experience is at least illustrative. In 1998, UCONN had its best team of the 1AA era. made its only 1aa playoff appearnace. Averaged roughly 8500/game. When they made the move to 1A their average increased to over 14000 then 15500, in the two years while Rentschler Field was under construction. team wasn't any better in 2001. the schedule was only marginally better. And the prices of tickets went up from $10 to $25, but they still generated lots more attendance. Now they average about 38000. While you can't necessarily make a direct comparison, I think the general outline makes sense. Hockey isn't going to replace basketball at UCONN any time soon. But it doesn't have to replace baksetball any more than it has to do that at Michigan or Ohio State or Notre Dame. It just has to grow to a reasonable level. And that it definitely can do.

BC/HE
05-15-2012, 05:25 PM
UCONN is planning to move to 18 scholarship with this move. I don't know the exact timetable, it was originally over 3-5 years but might be moved up if the move occurrs sooner, I really don't know. I don't imagine that they will go out and give 18 scholarhsips in year 1 anyway unless they have 18 deserving players. And as far as recuits and "top notch players" who knows? there are lots of reasons players select certain schools. This is a building project in my view, not a one time thing. I'm hearing within 5 years they will have a new/expanded arena on campus. In the interim they'll play Hockey East games in Hartford for the most part. Not perfect but workable for the short term. To me the model for recruiting that you have to follow is that you get guys who you can really coach up, then you coach them up. Along the way you land maybe a few guys who are better than that who either got "missed"by BC or Maine or Denver, who want to be the first something (first UCONN d1 all-american etc) or who are simply better than projected. Again, nobody is expecting UCONN to show up and win Hockey East in 2014.

also don't confuse the current UCONN program being a "non-issue" on campus with a bigger, more heavily funded and advertised one which will be involved in Hickey East. In this case UCONN football experience is at least illustrative. In 1998, UCONN had its best team of the 1AA era. made its only 1aa playoff appearnace. Averaged roughly 8500/game. When they made the move to 1A their average increased to over 14000 then 15500, in the two years while Rentschler Field was under construction. team wasn't any better in 2001. the schedule was only marginally better. And the prices of tickets went up from $10 to $25, but they still generated lots more attendance. Now they average about 38000. While you can't necessarily make a direct comparison, I think the general outline makes sense. Hockey isn't going to replace basketball at UCONN any time soon. But it doesn't have to replace baksetball any more than it has to do that at Michigan or Ohio State or Notre Dame. It just has to grow to a reasonable level. And that it definitely can do.

Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't UConn one of the schools that shot down the AHA proposal to increase the scholarship limit to either 14 or 18(Which is 12 now and I think 13 in the future). If so they should be ashamed of themselves for sticking a dagger into the Western Pod schools that wanted an increase and then jumping at this chance.

kingdobbs
05-15-2012, 05:34 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't UConn one of the schools that shot down the AHA proposal to increase the scholarship limit to either 14 or 18(Which is 12 now and I think 13 in the future). If so they should be ashamed of themselves for sticking a dagger into the Western Pod schools that wanted an increase and then jumping at this chance.

Kind of amazing what can change with a "wink wink, nudge nudge" offer from the right person.

Fishman'81
05-16-2012, 02:44 AM
There is a reason that RPI has apparently been invited to play BC at Madison Square Garden as part of a doubleheader with BU and Cornell during the 2013-14 season.

That reason could well be to provide BC with a sacrificial lamb, so MSG is likely to have a big-name team in the final... (Certainly would be my guess.)

REDMEN2002
05-16-2012, 07:45 AM
That reason could well be to provide BC with a sacrificial lamb, so MSG is likely to have a big-name team in the final... (Certainly would be my guess.)

You really have it out for RPI, eh?

johnk
05-16-2012, 08:07 AM

Its a one day doubleheader so try again idiot!

RSTuthill
05-16-2012, 08:42 AM
Kind of amazing what can change with a "wink wink, nudge nudge" offer from the right person.
Not amazing at all. They are going to vote in their best interest. If they are going to stay in AHA, they want the playing field as level as possible, not tilted further uphill against them.

theprofromdover
05-16-2012, 09:05 AM

You're not the sharpest tool in the shed, eh?

FlagDUDE08
05-16-2012, 10:09 AM
You're not the sharpest tool in the shed, eh?

I wonder where in Central NY he is... I could probably offer a re-education... ;)

Jim
05-16-2012, 11:47 AM
Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't UConn one of the schools that shot down the AHA proposal to increase the scholarship limit to either 14 or 18(Which is 12 now and I think 13 in the future). If so they should be ashamed of themselves for sticking a dagger into the Western Pod schools that wanted an increase and then jumping at this chance.I'm not sure why...if they are staying put, why would they want to increase the number of scholarships? they were evaluating adding some anyway. The move to Hockey East is der a totally new set of circumstances. Where they are no longer part of AHA, they will play under a whole new set of rules. I actually htink the western AHA schools are the ones who ought to quit complaining. They knew the terms when they joined the AHA, yet immediately tried to change them. Yet they couldn't make their own league, with a full complement of scholarships, work. The CHA collapsed, AHA stepped in and resucued several of them, gave them a league to play in, a reasonable schedule with far better travel than most of them had, and all they have done since joining is whine. You don't like the rules the conference operates under, don't join it. Play in some other league...oh right nobody else will have you...or play as an idependent...ask Huntsville how much fun that is, and how many home games you'll get...the fact of the matter is that the AHA, for all the complaining from outside, has actually worked reasonably well. It has grown. It has provided a home for a number of schools, its members are all reasonably competetive with each other and the league has been probably more successful in the NCAA tournament than anyone thought it would be given that its champ always has to play a 1 or 2 seed. Look, UCONN was one of the founders of AHA and its predecessor the MAAC. They, Bentley, AIC, Holy Cross Canisius and the others designed a "cost containment" conference with limited scholarships, which over the course of its life has gone from 9 to 11 to 12. At some point, the philosophy loses its meaning. The opposition to a scholarship increase has generally come from the eastern schools who were there at the beginning and are committed to the original goals of the conference. I'm not sure why that's a problem.

kingdobbs
05-16-2012, 11:53 AM
Not amazing at all. They are going to vote in their best interest. If they are going to stay in AHA, they want the playing field as level as possible, not tilted further uphill against them.

Sure. That was basically the point. What was in UConns best interest then may not be the same as what it is now.

RSTuthill
05-16-2012, 12:36 PM
Actually I think the point is that UConn wasn't going to invest heavily in an AHA product but would invest heavily if the product was going to be HE in caliber. No wink wink nudge nudge about it. A simple value proposition is all it is.

Btw, I would hope we could limit the name calling on this thread. It has no place in this discussion. Sorry to call the guilty parties out on this, but it is what it is.

johnk
05-16-2012, 01:01 PM
Btw, I would hope we could limit the name calling on this thread. It has no place in this discussion. Sorry to call the guilty parties out on this, but it is what it is.

Are you talking about the name calling of RPI being irrelevant and sacrificial lamb or the name calling of the idiot that actually posted that?

RSTuthill
05-16-2012, 01:42 PM
Are you talking about the name calling of RPI being irrelevant and sacrificial lamb or the name calling of the idiot that actually posted that?
You will have to forgive him. He probably saw RPI in Storrs this year. At the end of the season they were much stronger.

FlagDUDE08
05-16-2012, 03:50 PM
You will have to forgive him. He probably saw RPI in Storrs this year. At the end of the season they were much stronger.

There goes 3 months worth of drinking-to-forget shot to ****. -_-

He obviously didn't attend the Colgate/Cornell games which were a much closer drive.

Fishman'81
05-17-2012, 01:33 AM

My bad. I didn't realize that it was one of those college hockey "showcases"; I assumed that it was an actual tournament. I would have researched the matter had I nothing better to do. (I did.)

Still, if it was being run as an actual tournament, then yes, RPI would likely have been scheduled as the sacrificial lamb for BC.

That's how they tend to work things at those affairs... The promoters prefer to see a team that's won a NC after the Stone Age in their title game.

(You're welcome.)

johnk
05-17-2012, 08:13 AM
My bad. I didn't realize that it was one of those college hockey "showcases"; I assumed that it was an actual tournament. I would have researched the matter had I nothing better to do. (I did.)

Still, if it was being run as an actual tournament, then yes, RPI would likely have been scheduled as the sacrificial lamb for BC.

That's how they tend to work things at those affairs... The promoters prefer to see a team that's won a NC after the Stone Age in their title game.

(You're welcome.)

Compared to the other 2/3 of college hockey teams that have never won one at all . Suprising that NBC sports has had 3 RPI home games on in the last 2 seasons. Maybe it has to do with atmosphere, tradition and knowing that RPI is actually has recognition for people that actually tune into college hockey broadcasts. UConn will go to HE and still get about as much national TV coverage as UMass, Umass Lowell, Merrimack & Northeastern. People tuning into college hockey are hockey fans and they don't really care about womens hoop and as much as some on this board believe that UConn is a big name in college football...... THEIR NOT!

ericredaxe
05-17-2012, 09:16 AM
There is a reason that RPI has apparently been invited to play BC at Madison Square Garden as part of a doubleheader with BU and Cornell during the 2013-14 season. (The source of the rumor is a BC blog, and the link is somewhere in the first RPI offseason thread.)

Cool for BC and RPI fans if this is true... although I wonder why MSG would do this (is MSG the organizer of that event?).... hasn't Red Hot Hockey been sold out every time they have done it?

Ralph Baer
05-17-2012, 11:03 AM
Cool for BC and RPI fans if this is true... although I wonder why MSG would do this (is MSG the organizer of that event?).... hasn't Red Hot Hockey been sold out every time they have done it? To the best of my knowledge it has been sold out. That makes me suspect that if it is true, they will be charging separate admission. This is the link http://bostoncollege.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1312&tid=172785951&mid=172785951&sid=1007&style=2. The sum total is "There is talk of a BU-Cornell/BC-RPI doubleheader at MSG on Thanksgiving weekend." I have seen no other additional info, although it has been discussed on the RPI thread here and on ELynah.