PDA

View Full Version : UConn to apply to Hockey East

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

TigerFan86-87
05-14-2012, 02:50 PM
The Engineers and the Statesmen are right where they fit-in best,
What does Hobart have to do with this?

TigerFan86-87
05-14-2012, 02:51 PM
Yup, and that was nicely done to match the AHA from the year before:D
And to pick yet another nit.... It was two years ago.

MattS
05-14-2012, 02:57 PM
Yeah, I'm inclined to agree with you. But this is now and it may well change in the future, at least that is the hope.

Is that the same "hope" that the NHL has been waiting for?

Jim
05-14-2012, 03:35 PM
At the end of the day, almost no one watches hockey. Even fewer watch college hockey. Slapping a Big Ten, Notre Dame, or Uconn label on it isn't going to change this. The same reasons people don't watch hockey now are staying constant in spite of all these other changes.Dpends on your definition of nobody, I guess. I remember when almost nobody watched college baseball but last night I counted 4 games on various ESPN and Fox channels I got. And I rmember when nobody watched college lacrosse, but I peaked at 2 games yesterday afternoon...and I remember when absolutley nobody watched womens college softball but there were 3 games on when I was flipping through Saturday evening...Not to say that any of these drew huge audiences, but they were on tv, something unheard of 10 years ago. And when I stop to watch a game or a few innings of college baseball, invariably I stop to watch schools I've heard of...I watched a couple of innings of Ohio State-Illinois, and it turned out to be a good game so I watched a little more until I was caught up in it. I skipped over Davidson and somebody, which for all I know as a casual college baseball fan may have been better teams. My daughter who played college softball at a d3 school flipped on a softball game Sunday and skipped over some mid-major to watch a Big 10 game...again, she didn't know if Illinois was better than East Carolina, she just knew Illinois and Michgan better than East Carolina and Western Kentucky or someone...that is what is at work here. that's what NBCsports is looking for. it is the entire premise of the BTN. But beyond that, the addition of UCONN and Notre Dame isn't about the 2014 season. If that were the case, you probably would pick RPI. It is about 2020 and beyond and who has the higher long term upside. And I would maintain that if that is how you look at it, pretty much any D1 school, particularly one with a high profile, even one that would be a startup (say Syracuse, certainly a Penn State) would be a better long term bet than other options.

FlagDUDE08
05-14-2012, 04:07 PM
Dpends on your definition of nobody, I guess. I remember when almost nobody watched college baseball but last night I counted 4 games on various ESPN and Fox channels I got. And I rmember when nobody watched college lacrosse, but I peaked at 2 games yesterday afternoon...and I remember when absolutley nobody watched womens college softball but there were 3 games on when I was flipping through Saturday evening...Not to say that any of these drew huge audiences, but they were on tv, something unheard of 10 years ago. And when I stop to watch a game or a few innings of college baseball, invariably I stop to watch schools I've heard of...I watched a couple of innings of Ohio State-Illinois, and it turned out to be a good game so I watched a little more until I was caught up in it. I skipped over Davidson and somebody, which for all I know as a casual college baseball fan may have been better teams. My daughter who played college softball at a d3 school flipped on a softball game Sunday and skipped over some mid-major to watch a Big 10 game...again, she didn't know if Illinois was better than East Carolina, she just knew Illinois and Michgan better than East Carolina and Western Kentucky or someone...that is what is at work here. that's what NBCsports is looking for. it is the entire premise of the BTN. But beyond that, the addition of UCONN and Notre Dame isn't about the 2014 season. If that were the case, you probably would pick RPI. It is about 2020 and beyond and who has the higher long term upside. And I would maintain that if that is how you look at it, pretty much any D1 school, particularly one with a high profile, even one that would be a startup (say Syracuse, certainly a Penn State) would be a better long term bet than other options.

Reading the first 2/3 of the paragraph you just wrote, it sounds like you're all about the 2014 season, and your logic in the last part of the paragraph is completely backwards.

AspyDad
05-14-2012, 04:42 PM
Whoa!! You serious?? Where did you hear that? A reliable source external to this board?

Paul Kelly from United States of Hockey Report

“Having commonly five conferences, soon to be six conferences, and you may one day have the Ivy League spinning out for seven conferences, what you get is very parochial interests,”

Source - http://unitedstatesofhockey.com/2012/02/24/paul-kelly-explains-surprise-resignation-what-comes-next/

REDMEN2002
05-14-2012, 05:13 PM
Dpends on your definition of nobody, I guess. I remember when almost nobody watched college baseball but last night I counted 4 games on various ESPN and Fox channels I got. And I rmember when nobody watched college lacrosse, but I peaked at 2 games yesterday afternoon...and I remember when absolutley nobody watched womens college softball but there were 3 games on when I was flipping through Saturday evening...Not to say that any of these drew huge audiences, but they were on tv, something unheard of 10 years ago. And when I stop to watch a game or a few innings of college baseball, invariably I stop to watch schools I've heard of...I watched a couple of innings of Ohio State-Illinois, and it turned out to be a good game so I watched a little more until I was caught up in it. I skipped over Davidson and somebody, which for all I know as a casual college baseball fan may have been better teams. My daughter who played college softball at a d3 school flipped on a softball game Sunday and skipped over some mid-major to watch a Big 10 game...again, she didn't know if Illinois was better than East Carolina, she just knew Illinois and Michgan better than East Carolina and Western Kentucky or someone...that is what is at work here. that's what NBCsports is looking for. it is the entire premise of the BTN. But beyond that, the addition of UCONN and Notre Dame isn't about the 2014 season. If that were the case, you probably would pick RPI. It is about 2020 and beyond and who has the higher long term upside. And I would maintain that if that is how you look at it, pretty much any D1 school, particularly one with a high profile, even one that would be a startup (say Syracuse, certainly a Penn State) would be a better long term bet than other options.

Your argument is weak. The only thing you are right about is that very few people are watching those college baseball, lax and softball games.

Ma#1ne Hky
05-14-2012, 05:13 PM
I have a few questions...do you think that UConns .370 winning perecentage in the last 9 seasons will rise with 18 Scholarships..? And with that said what top notch recruits are going to play for UConn that plays in terrible rink,is more or less a non issue on Campus compared to the M&W B-Ball and with FB getting the support needed...well think about that...even IF they put in a NEW Arena...which would take close to 3-5 years if they are lucky....maybe this is a long range target,but how long away..?? 5-6 to 7-8 years from 2014..?

FlagDUDE08
05-14-2012, 05:18 PM
I have a few questions...do you think that UConns .370 winning perecentage in the last 9 seasons will rise with 18 Scholarships..? And with that said what top notch recruits are going to play for UConn that plays in terrible rink,is more or less a non issue on Campus compared to the M&W B-Ball and with FB getting the support needed...well think about that...even IF they put in a NEW Arena...which would take close to 3-5 years if they are lucky....maybe this is a long range target,but how long away..?? 5-6 to 7-8 years from 2014..?

How does Union get people to play at their Mess[-of-]a rink?

FlagDUDE08
05-14-2012, 05:18 PM

“Having commonly five conferences, soon to be six conferences, and you may one day have the Ivy League spinning out for seven conferences, what you get is very parochial interests,”

Source - http://unitedstatesofhockey.com/2012/02/24/paul-kelly-explains-surprise-resignation-what-comes-next/

With Slick Willie we went over the definition of the word "is"... with you, we need to review the definition of the word "may".

BC/HE
05-14-2012, 07:57 PM
Dam(n) ... I'm running low on beer and chips:D

Me as well, and I hardly drink at all. At least this keeps us Hockey East fans occupied during the dreaded summer.

How does Union get people to play at their Mess[-of-]a rink?

Maybe since they are academic minded and thought the rink was named Mensa.

The Ivies are just taking their sweet time. They'll probably hand in their 30 year notice sometime in the next twenty years.

Perhaps RPI could start growing Ivy on all their walls now and by that time they will be ready to join.

troyboy
05-14-2012, 07:59 PM

Source - http://unitedstatesofhockey.com/2012/02/24/paul-kelly-explains-surprise-resignation-what-comes-next/ Everyone should read this link Im tell'in ya its not over.If anyone thinks North Dakota, Denver et al are going to sit around and let the Big Ten become a super conference before their collective eyes and start dictating what goes on in college hockey your nuts ! The fireing of Paul Kelly by the commisioners led by ECAC comminsioner Steve Hagwell whom has driven the ECAC into a ditch is an attempt to save their jobs. Nice try but something is going to happen it has too. Why is Uconn as far as I know the only institution officially in the conversation for HE expansion. I'll tell you why because it only makes sense that un-officially other schools had some conversation and declined to be considered. Why is HE in such a hurry to add a team especially one that as of this point has inadequate facilities and no scholarships I don't know but I can guess. Unless your a conference that is ripe for the picking the smart money should lay low untill whatever happens ramps up. Does anyone other than me find it strange that the coaches that stood up for Paul Kelly in the article were Jeff Jackson and George Gwozdecky Hmmmmm.

RSTuthill
05-14-2012, 08:27 PM
@troyboy would you care to translate the article from Chinese to American English for those of us who do not follow college hockey politics? Not sure I really want to know, but if you can do it succinctly many of us will read it.

Tater
05-14-2012, 08:59 PM
Everyone should read this link Im tell'in ya its not over.If anyone thinks North Dakota, Denver et al are going to sit around and let the Big Ten become a super conference before their collective eyes and start dictating what goes on in college hockey your nuts ! The fireing of Paul Kelly by the commisioners led by ECAC comminsioner Steve Hagwell whom has driven the ECAC into a ditch is an attempt to save their jobs. Nice try but something is going to happen it has too. Why is Uconn as far as I know the only institution officially in the conversation for HE expansion. I'll tell you why because it only makes sense that un-officially other schools had some conversation and declined to be considered. Why is HE in such a hurry to add a team especially one that as of this point has inadequate facilities and no scholarships I don't know but I can guess. Unless your a conference that is ripe for the picking the smart money should lay low untill whatever happens ramps up. Does anyone other than me find it strange that the coaches that stood up for Paul Kelly in the article were Jeff Jackson and George Gwozdecky Hmmmmm.

Step away from the Red Bull.

CHFAN222
05-14-2012, 09:17 PM
Everyone should read this link Im tell'in ya its not over.If anyone thinks North Dakota, Denver et al are going to sit around and let the Big Ten become a super conference before their collective eyes and start dictating what goes on in college hockey your nuts ! The fireing of Paul Kelly by the commisioners led by ECAC comminsioner Steve Hagwell whom has driven the ECAC into a ditch is an attempt to save their jobs. Nice try but something is going to happen it has too. Why is Uconn as far as I know the only institution officially in the conversation for HE expansion. I'll tell you why because it only makes sense that un-officially other schools had some conversation and declined to be considered. Why is HE in such a hurry to add a team especially one that as of this point has inadequate facilities and no scholarships I don't know but I can guess. Unless your a conference that is ripe for the picking the smart money should lay low untill whatever happens ramps up. Does anyone other than me find it strange that the coaches that stood up for Paul Kelly in the article were Jeff Jackson and George Gwozdecky Hmmmmm.

I think North Dakota and Denver have done enough already to strengthen their new conference. BU-BC are staying put and don't want to leave HE. The only thing else they might do is trrying to entice a major school to add a program if they can get financial support for it ie a CSU, UC Boulder, BYU, Texas, Kansas, any D1 California school.

Fishman'81
05-15-2012, 01:55 AM
What does Hobart have to do with this?

Thank you... *Dutchmen*, I meant to say... (I get my D-3 teams mixed up sometimes.)

:p

Seriously, I go to see Union regularly, and I root for them, but I have to wonder if they can keep their recent success going. For many years, they were a doormat in the ECAC, and I'm thinking that they will be right back there before long.

Just a hunch.

ExileOnDaytonStreet
05-15-2012, 06:47 AM
Your argument is weak. The only thing you are right about is that very few people are watching those college baseball, lax and softball games.

And yet they find their way onto national cable channels... (just like college hockey did last year).

REDMEN2002
05-15-2012, 07:51 AM
And yet they find their way onto national cable channels... (just like college hockey did last year).

Lots of cable channels, gotta fill them up with something. I'm glad college hockey is on tv more, but it doesn't mean its getting great ratings.

FlagDUDE08
05-15-2012, 08:37 AM
Lots of cable channels, gotta fill them up with something. I'm glad college hockey is on tv more, but it doesn't mean its getting great ratings.

Do you expect it to outweigh Survivor or something?

mookie1995
05-15-2012, 08:40 AM
reading that article, makes me think kelly got a job running the Red Cross and decided he should turn it into the UN.

Dpends on your definition of nobody, I guess. I remember when almost nobody watched college baseball but last night I counted 4 games on various ESPN and Fox channels I got. And I rmember when nobody watched college lacrosse, but I peaked at 2 games yesterday afternoon...and I remember when absolutley nobody watched womens college softball but there were 3 games on when I was flipping through Saturday evening...

well if hockey moves from a winter sport to a spring sport, we may have a chance.. but during oct/nov/dec tv would rather show football than hockey, and during dec/jan/feb/mar they would prefer to see basketball and the advertising $$ that comes with that.