PDA

View Full Version : UConn to apply to Hockey East

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

claver2010
04-25-2012, 10:39 AM
Nothing? If UCONN upgrades their program which they appear to be willing to do than they bring a lot.

They are a perfect geographic fit for HE and will finally enable the conference to say that they have every state in New England represented in the mens conference.
They be a true rival for UMASS.
If they are able to bring in at least some of the attention that the basketball programs get to hockey than it will be more than worth it.

As far as scheduling goes every other conference with 12 teams seems to handle it just fine so I don't see it being that much of an issue.

Right now, the UConn hockey program brings nothing to the table. It's a middling program in the worst conference that plays in a HS rink.

If they upgrade their program and facilities, sure in 5/10 years when it's up to speed it could make sense.

will finally enable the conference to say that they have every state in New England represented in the mens conference.

I don't think that's something that the league has been dying to say, if it happens fine, if not fine. I'd prefer adding a superior candidate than saying "we have every state in NE represented!"

My opinion is it would make sense as a 12th team but I wouldn't add them just for the sake of having 12 and right now it would make no sense. They have a garbage rink and we all agree that games at HCC wouldn't work. Once they have the money to build a HE rink then we can talk. And honestly I question how successful the program can be, it'll be the 3rd most popular winter sport alone at the school.

sterlippo1
04-25-2012, 10:46 AM
The difference is ND hockey brings something to the table, UConn doesn't.

But agreed with those above, 10 was fine, 11 was dumb, 12 is dumber.

+1

Nick Papagiorgio
04-25-2012, 10:48 AM
Nothing? If UCONN upgrades their program which they appear to be willing to do than they bring a lot.

They are a perfect geographic fit for HE and will finally enable the conference to say that they have every state in New England represented in the mens conference.
They be a true rival for UMASS.
If they are able to bring in at least some of the attention that the basketball programs get to hockey than it will be more than worth it.

Which of these things am I supposed to be impressed by?

You're really, really reaching here. Geographic fit (certainly true FWIW) doesn't mean they bring anything to the table. The conference being able to say they have every state in New England represented? WOW!!!!!! Don't forget they will also have Indiana represented too. WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!

Seriously...

Almington
04-25-2012, 10:58 AM
The CCHA and WCHA both seem to be fine with it. I'm not saying that you should be OK with it, but it's a little hyperbolic to say that it's not even worth having a conference when a team doesn't make it to your place in a season.

Plenty of people were unhappy that they no longer saw every team at home each season as the CCHA and WCHA expanded beyond 8 teams (and the NCAA cut the number of games per season) because everyone knew that the alternative was the massive realignment that is happening out west (and why HE is even having to deal with the logistics of adding ND) after next season. In hindsight, it is clear that the WCHA wasn't going to stay at 10 teams, if BSU and UNO had not been added, they may have stood pat at 8 teams and not immediately formed the NCHC.

I still think that a 24 conference schedule (2 games against everyone, 2 additional games against your rival) would be the best solution logistically.

FlagDUDE08
04-25-2012, 11:32 AM
Plenty of people were unhappy that they no longer saw every team at home each season as the CCHA and WCHA expanded beyond 8 teams (and the NCAA cut the number of games per season) because everyone knew that the alternative was the massive realignment that is happening out west (and why HE is even having to deal with the logistics of adding ND) after next season. In hindsight, it is clear that the WCHA wasn't going to stay at 10 teams, if BSU and UNO had not been added, they may have stood pat at 8 teams and not immediately formed the NCHC.

I still think that a 24 conference schedule (2 games against everyone, 2 additional games against your rival) would be the best solution logistically.

If you're going to have a league where not everyone makes the playoffs, you NEED to have a balanced schedule so it's fair. Where you play is debatable (obviously at each location an even number of times is preferred), but an IMBA schedule just creates nightmares.

Almington
04-25-2012, 12:07 PM
If you're going to have a league where not everyone makes the playoffs, you NEED to have a balanced schedule so it's fair. Where you play is debatable (obviously at each location an even number of times is preferred), but an IMBA schedule just creates nightmares.

None of the professional leagues play balanced schedules. All of the NCAA tournaments select from teams that played DRAMATICALLY different schedules.

The advantage of the 24 game schedule is that each team has 12 home and 12 away games and only 6 teams have to make the trip out of ND each year in the RS (and they all play 2 games for their effort) as opposed to in the AHA where 8 teams travel to AFA (and 2 or 3 of those only play a single game). While I understand that the difference between 9th and 8th play may come down to which team had a harder "rival" that season, the 9th place team had plenty of other opportunities to get the points they needed to finish 8th.

FlagDUDE08
04-25-2012, 12:13 PM
None of the professional leagues play balanced schedules. All of the NCAA tournaments select from teams that played DRAMATICALLY different schedules.

The advantage of the 24 game schedule is that each team has 12 home and 12 away games and only 6 teams have to make the trip out of ND each year in the RS (and they all play 2 games for their effort) as opposed to in the AHA where 8 teams travel to AFA (and 2 or 3 of those only play a single game). While I understand that the difference between 9th and 8th play may come down to which team had a harder "rival" that season, the 9th place team had plenty of other opportunities to get the points they needed to finish 8th.

With those professional leagues, you also have an autobid for the team that wins the division. Unless you plan to have the 6 "rivalry winners" and then two wild cards make it...

REDMEN2002
04-25-2012, 02:12 PM
Seems like this knuckledragger has forgotten about the Connecticut led lawsuit.

You would think Smilin' Gene will try his best to block UConn like he apparently did with the ACC. I hope he does, then falls asleep again on the hockey program.

theprofromdover
04-25-2012, 02:41 PM

Would that include being banned from the tournament for not graduating players?

Jim
04-25-2012, 02:44 PM
If you're going to have a league where not everyone makes the playoffs, you NEED to have a balanced schedule so it's fair. Where you play is debatable (obviously at each location an even number of times is preferred), but an IMBA schedule just creates nightmares.I have the same view on this that I do on teams that get left out of the NCAA tournament while teams from weaker leagues get autobids...You finish 9th in your league, cry me a river...it isn't like you can claim to have been a good team. If you want to qualify for the playoffs, win more games. harsh I know in an era where kids grew up getting trophies for just showing up...

Jim
04-25-2012, 03:02 PM
You would think Smilin' Gene will try his best to block UConn like he apparently did with the ACC. I hope he does, then falls asleep again on the hockey program.Rumor is that isn't happening. Plus he is too busy ruining the football and basketball programs to be bothered with hockey...Time for Gene to get over it. It was business, just like his making backroom deals with the ACC while denying he was doing it was business. And just like this expansion is business...Like UCONN and ND, hate them, the decision will be made based on what's percieved as the best for Hockey East and UCONN and ND, (well, ND has already been accepted). Personal feelings have very little to do with it. And as Gene pointed out in his truthful moment, the ACC decison was made by ESPN, not Gene D.

CHFAN222
04-25-2012, 03:24 PM
Rumor is that isn't happening. Plus he is too busy ruining the football and basketball programs to be bothered with hockey...Time for Gene to get over it. It was business, just like his making backroom deals with the ACC while denying he was doing it was business. And just like this expansion is business...Like UCONN and ND, hate them, the decision will be made based on what's percieved as the best for Hockey East and UCONN and ND, (well, ND has already been accepted). Personal feelings have very little to do with it. And as Gene pointed out in his truthful moment, the ACC decison was made by ESPN, not Gene D.

Wasn't he quoted as saying that they blocked UCONN because they didn't want to compete with them in their market? I thought that it was kind of a dumb statement considering that TV wise besides BC alumns no one in CT is going to watch BC football. They are more likely to watch some B10/PAC-10 game than tune into the BC game.

CleggyofUML
04-25-2012, 04:37 PM
I can see the argument that UConn would be good for balancing the league so there is 12 teams and how it would be a similar geographical fit, but the team itself wouldn't add much and unless they drastically improve, I can only see them struggling in a fight for the last spot in the Hockey East Tournament at best at this point. They might be good rivals to UMass and Northeastern, but not too much more. If there was a way how to get even a fraction of the attention its basketball programs get and bring in a good crowd each conference game at home, then it would be potentially worth it, but for now UConn isn't bringing enough to the table. Honestly Hockey East's best action might just be to see how UConn's year plays out and make a decision next off-season.

4four4
04-25-2012, 04:43 PM
I can see the argument that UConn would be good for balancing the league so there is 12 teams and how it would be a similar geographical fit, but the team itself wouldn't add much and unless they drastically improve, I can only see them struggling in a fight for the last spot in the Hockey East Tournament at best at this point. They might be good rivals to UMass and Northeastern, but not too much more. If there was a way how to get even a fraction of the attention its basketball programs get and bring in a good crowd each conference game at home, then it would be potentially worth it, but for now UConn isn't bringing enough to the table. Honestly Hockey East's best action might just be to see how UConn's year plays out and make a decision next off-season.

This is not about one or two seasons of hockey. HE is looking at the long term value and brand of UCONN.

schiegs
04-25-2012, 05:02 PM
Complete tangent: It seems that each conference restructuring takes a step closer to installing defacto D2 leagues. AHA has essentially done that out here.

Can you explain this AHA D2 comment???? 8 of the 12 members are D1 member institutions. Or am I missing your point?

Almington
04-25-2012, 06:15 PM
Can you explain this AHA D2 comment???? 8 of the 12 members are D1 member institutions. Or am I missing your point?

Maybe he should have said mid-major and not D2. The restructureing between conferences is destroying the general parity that existed between conferences (more or less)

komey1
04-25-2012, 06:25 PM
Would Hockey East have the TV contract it is getting wtihout ND? I'm not so sure. That is the value of the Irish to any conference. UConn is a team that casual sports fan would recognize. That brings value. It's more about the brand than the quality of the actual teams.

As for if ND leaves - would they leave a conference with a TV contract to one with a smaller (if any) national TV deal.

ericredaxe
04-25-2012, 09:01 PM

So BU and BC get each other 2 extra times a year and ND gets Providence? Sure that's fair when it comes to league standings.

ericredaxe
04-25-2012, 09:06 PM
I have the same view on this that I do on teams that get left out of the NCAA tournament while teams from weaker leagues get autobids...You finish 9th in your league, cry me a river...it isn't like you can claim to have been a good team. If you want to qualify for the playoffs, win more games. harsh I know in an era where kids grew up getting trophies for just showing up...

How about the difference between 4th and 5th (home ice for playoffs or not). Huge difference and definately could be impacted based on who you play extra games against.

Fishman'81
04-26-2012, 02:49 AM
So BU and BC get each other 2 extra times a year and ND gets Providence? Sure that's fair when it comes to league standings.

I agree; it's a bad idea in general.

If HEA goes to 12 teams, then let them all play each other twice, H&H, and forget about assigning extra intra-conference "rivalry" games. (Who decides which rivalries among the many are pertinent?)

Maine and ND are going to make for some brutal travel-weekends for everyone, at one point or the other. Teams in HE will likely have to fly at times to play each other, which has never happened before... But, at least there will be a few more OOC games to be scheduled, and that is a big deal re: the all-important PWR. (Which truly is the only thing that matters in this discussion.)