UConn to apply to Hockey East

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UConn to apply to Hockey East

As its been told to me, there's a reason why UConn doesn't tend to land local talent for hockey.
    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
    Skating Friar Jersey
    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
    Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
      As its been told to me, there's a reason why UConn doesn't tend to land local talent for hockey.
      Their hack of a coach.
      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Originally posted by RSTuthill View Post
        With all due respect, RPI and Holy Cross have next to zero national name recognition and do not have the resources of a UConn when it decides to do something. We saw RPI at UConn this year. They might have had 25 fans there and they finished fourth in the tournament.
        UConn definitely has potential in any sport but I wouldn't use the Toyota Classic as a selling point. First of all, RPI actually had a good turnout (no, not 25) for a Thurs/Fri tournament. It was certainly more than UConn brought to the RPI Tournament for their 4th place finish the year before. More importantly, a 2-day tournament with the host reaching the final drew a total of 3,000 after the host practically gave tickets away (IIRC they had a $2 special). Students or no students that is nothing to hang your hat on.

That wouldn't be so bad except they were the two best crowds of the year for the Huskies by far.

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
          Their hack of a coach.
          close, the large spiders that inhabit the rink
          BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
          Skating Friar Jersey
          AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
          UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
          Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

(The Big East is "weak" compared to what..? The Empire Eight, or whatever D-3 conference RPI plays football in? PUL-LEEZE, John.)

Those of us with long memories still consider RPI a relevant hockey school, but recent evidence is to the contrary. UConn is a no-brainer by comparison.

As much as I enjoy strapping on the side-arm and walking up the hill through that lovely Troy neighborhood to Houston for games (and I actually do) UConn's upside is many light-years ahead of RPI's.
            Last edited by Fishman'81; 04-12-2012, 02:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
              (The Big East is "weak" compared to what..? The Empire Eight, or whatever D-3 conference RPI plays football in? PUL-LEEZE, John.)

Those of us with long memories still consider RPI a relevant hockey school, but recent evidence is to the contrary. UConn is a no-brainer by comparison.

As much as I enjoy strapping on the side-arm and walking up the hill through that lovely Troy neighborhood to Houston for games (and I actually do) UConn's upside is many light-years ahead of RPI's.
              UConn has a higher upside, but what is the odds that they will get there, say in ten years?
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

The Big East is weak as far as a Division 1 football conference. What does their football have to do with upside? How many of the current D-1 hockey teams even have a major Division 1 football program? So what is it. Their arena? Their huge fan base? Or is it their rich tradition and tremendous name recognition when you watch all of the NHL telecasts. Maybe its the state of Connecticut and their huge budget deficit that everyone is banking on. UConn hockey and their 400 fans is probably at the top of their priority list. No brainer!
                Last edited by johnk; 04-12-2012, 07:29 AM.

Comment

Folks, at the end of the day (and I hate to say it), ESPN type considerations are going to decide. (You may recall that ESPN has been the driving force behind the recent football realignment and restructuring?) Name recognition, TV exposure.

Brassbonanza, gotta disagree with you. Lack of scholarships has had everything to do with lack of recruiting success of local talent. Let's see: go to Boston on a ride or play in a lower league without one? Pretty easy choice.

Comment

• Originally posted by RSTuthill View Post
                    As BC found out with their multiple conference championships and BCS bowl bids when they were in it.
                    Durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rr.

Are you related to Jdubbs?
                    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

As long as we're talking upside, it seem to me that RPI is better positioned to enter HEA now than UCONN. Looking recent results, RPI has turned a corner and will have a higher profile in the ECAC. This year's results reflected a number of things, not the least of which was replacing a strong senior class and three very promising underclassmen who turned to the professional ranks. (UCONN's had that experience... in basketball... and they know that can happen when you recruit strong candidates.) With a solid coach who recruits well, an ascendant RPI can make some noise in HEA and, in time, compete to break into the top four/five.

I get that UCONN has resources (although it hasn't really sought to use them... where UCONN and an investment in hockey would sit with the Trustees and the $Legislature, who knows?) and there are good prep schools in-state and they would be a nice geographic fit. Talking geography, It seems to me that they're destined for the southern half of the HEA standings for years to come.
                      Last edited by fr joe; 04-12-2012, 07:48 AM.
                      Here we come!

Comment

Originally posted by RSTuthill View Post
                        Folks, at the end of the day (and I hate to say it), ESPN type considerations are going to decide. (You may recall that ESPN has been the driving force behind the recent football realignment and restructuring?) Name recognition, TV exposure.

Brassbonanza, gotta disagree with you. Lack of scholarships has had everything to do with lack of recruiting success of local talent. Let's see: go to Boston on a ride or play in a lower league without one? Pretty easy choice.
                        We do not know that RPI is even interested in joining the HEA. There has been no announcement of an application or an investigation of the possibility. Indeed RPI's coach has stated that he is happy with the ECAC and thinks it is the correct place (or something like that.

At least twice before the RPI hockey program and athletic department was interested in the HEA, and the HEA was supposedly interested in RPI (when the HEA was formed and then about 10 years later when Powers was RPI's coach). Both times the RPI admins nixed it saying that the ECAC was a better fit for the school. Personally, I think that RPI is indeed interested now, and Seth Appert only said he was happy with the ECAC since he tested the waters and found that HEA is not interested, and he wanted to save face.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by fr joe View Post
                          As long as we're talking upside, it seem to me that RPI is better positioned to enter HEA now than UCONN. Looking recent results, RPI has turned a corner and will have a higher profile in the ECAC. This year's results reflected a number of things, not the least of which was replacing a strong senior class and three very promising underclassmen who turned to the professional ranks. (UCONN's had that experience... in basketball... and they know that can happen when you recruit strong candidates.) With a solid coach who recruits well, an ascendant RPI can make some noise in HEA and, in time, compete to break into the top four/five.

I get that UCONN has resources (although it hasn't really sought to use them... where UCONN and an investment in hockey would sit with the Trustees and the $Legislature, who knows?) and there are good prep schools in-state and they would be a nice geographic fit. Talking geography, It seems to me that they're destined for the southern half of the HEA standings for years to come.
                          Maybe its me but current results have very little to do with the equation. If UConn has a suitable arena, decides they can afford the scholarships and can somehow show they have the fan base to support this then they are better suited for the opening in Hockey East. If not I think RPI has the necessary criteria to fill the slot.

Comment

Originally posted by johnk View Post
                            Maybe its me but current results have very little to do with the equation. If UConn has a suitable arena, decides they can afford the scholarships and can somehow show they have the fan base to support this then they are better suited for the opening in Hockey East. If not I think RPI has the necessary criteria to fill the slot.
                            The odd thing is that I think that a lot of UConn's fanbase on USCHO (RSTuthill, kingdobbs, and that represents a large portion of the posts I have seen) appear to be Clarkson grads. Interesting, isn't it?
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by johnk View Post
                              ...If UConn has a suitable arena, decides they can afford the scholarships and can somehow show they have the fan base to support this then they are better suited for the opening in Hockey East. If not I think RPI has the necessary criteria to fill the slot.
                              Good point. I agree with your conclusion.
                              Here we come!

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                                The odd thing is that I think that a lot of UConn's fanbase on USCHO (RSTuthill, kingdobbs, and that represents a large portion of the posts I have seen) appear to be Clarkson grads. Interesting, isn't it?
                                Maybe they can relate to the banner count...
                                Here we come!

Comment

Working...
                                X