UConn to apply to Hockey East

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UConn to apply to Hockey East

I would expect that you would play everyone but Notre Dame home & away for a 22 game league schedule. My guess is that Notre Dame will play 5 teams at home twice , 5 teams away twice and 1 team (UConn?) home & home.

Comment

Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
      I think that when Penn State jumped in......a lightbulb went off in UConn's head.
      I know you are being somewhat facetious, but that could actually be true. Plus, HE may have made an overture accompanied by a statement of fact that the time had come to get on the train because it was leaving the station. And finally, I think the new President, AD, (and former Acting AD) of UConn really like the idea. It is a chance for them to make a difference in the Athletics program right away. Make a mark early, so to speak, and put their stamp on it.
      Last edited by RSTuthill; 04-10-2012, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
        Well, my perspective, I would be incredibly disappointed if they didn't make UConn write something in stone. IMO, given the current proposals things won't work. Further, I'd make sure that UConn's commitment couldn't be walked back without penalty.
        Patman, I don't think this happens without UCONN being all in, an dI think they will be. It isn't like they will not fund the scholarships or something. The arena question is one that I think Hockey East will either buy or they won't. My guess is that they will. And if UCONN needs an extra year or two to complete the expansion of Freitas, well, that won't be a dealbreaker by any means. Just my sense of things...and look, it isn't like this is a school that hasn't made moves like this in the past, even the relatively recent past. And they have seen what can happen if you don't go all in with what they did in basketball in the early 1980s...The move to the Big East looked like a disaster at one point when UCONN was the only Big East team never to have gotten an NCAA bid in a league that had 2 Champs, 4 Championship game participants, 6 Final Four participants. Compare that with how they approached football and see the learning curve. We'll see an appraoch much closer to that with hockey. Even with womens hockey, they went out and brought in a highly successful coach when they joined Hockey East.

Comment

Originally posted by johnk View Post
          I would expect that you would play everyone but Notre Dame home & away for a 22 game league schedule. My guess is that Notre Dame will play 5 teams at home twice , 5 teams away twice and 1 team (UConn?) home & home.
          I wonder if the one team wouldn't be BC?
          Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
          Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
            Even with womens hockey, they went out and brought in a highly successful coach when they joined Hockey East.
            Bear in mind too, that they started Women's Hockey from scratch the year they joined HE. They had to get somebody, so they went out and got someone with a great track record at that level.

Comment

Holy Cross freshman forward Mike McNamara thinks the Crusaders should be the 12th team in Hockey East:

http://www.hockeyjournal.com/news/co...or_Hockey_East

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                Well, my perspective, I would be incredibly disappointed if they didn't make UConn write something in stone. IMO, given the current proposals things won't work. Further, I'd make sure that UConn's commitment couldn't be walked back without penalty.
                Ditto. Especially when an RPI could step in and be a credible 12th team should HEA formally go to 12. They've addressed the scholarship situation, their on-campus arena seats 5K, they're no strangers to HEA, and they have a long-standing commitment to hockey. Distance? Prior to Union subbing for Army, they were UVM's travel partner.
                Here we come!

Comment

With all due respect, RPI and Holy Cross have next to zero national name recognition and do not have the resources of a UConn when it decides to do something. We saw RPI at UConn this year. They might have had 25 fans there and they finished fourth in the tournament.

Comment

When a team applies to a conference, how is it typically handled? League vote? By whom? Coaches? ADs? Is it a majority vote? Or does it have to be unanimous?

Has UConn officially applied?

Comment

• Originally posted by RSTuthill View Post
                      With all due respect, RPI and Holy Cross have next to zero national name recognition and do not have the resources of a UConn when it decides to do something. We saw RPI at UConn this year. They might have had 25 fans there and they finished fourth in the tournament.
                      Doesn't RPI get frequent mention in Tom Clancy novels?
                      BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                      Skating Friar Jersey
                      AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                      UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                      Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by RSTuthill View Post
                        According to Wikipedia, Holy Cross has an endowment of over 600 milliion, while UConn is more like 300 milliion.

I'm not nececarially advocating for Holy Cross over UConn but as a relatively wealthy small school, they could make the finiancial comitment if they wanted to.

The argument can be made for HC though. Geographically they are a much better fit, and do fit the mold of the schools like PC, BC, Merrimack that are already in the conference.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                          When a team applies to a conference, how is it typically handled? League vote? By whom? Coaches? ADs? Is it a majority vote? Or does it have to be unanimous?
                          I'm not sure of the precise mechanics, but it would certainly be the ADs who would make the decision.
                          Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                          Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Given you were there during our renovations, you probably didn't notice our national championship banners. Yes, plural.

Comment

UConn is the right choice for Hockey East. Now with respects to RPI vs UConn, RPI has more money by a large margin, more fans by a large margin, a better arena by a large margin and more name recognition as far as hockey by a large margin. Have fun being a complete bottom feeder in Hockey East for the next decade or two.
                              Last edited by johnk; 04-11-2012, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                                According to Wikipedia, Holy Cross has an endowment of over 600 milliion, while UConn is more like 300 milliion.

I'm not nececarially advocating for Holy Cross over UConn but as a relatively wealthy small school, they could make the finiancial comitment if they wanted to.

The argument can be made for HC though. Geographically they are a much better fit, and do fit the mold of the schools like PC, BC, Merrimack that are already in the conference.
                                Apples and oranges.

Some elite public research universities have large endowments, but most don't. They can rely on state support in a pinch, and for major capital construction.

If a private institution squanders its endowment, it's curtains.
                                1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Working...
                                X