PDA

View Full Version : Spencer Penrose Award Finalists named

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Nick Papagiorgio
03-28-2012, 12:23 PM
With all due respect to Nate Leaman, a great coach.... Bennett was instrumental in recruiting many of the players on the team. I'd have Bazin second on the ballot.

Winning the worst league out of the 4 major conferences and coming out of the worst bracket in the NCAAs (by far) is a tremendous accomplishment... for Union.

SteveF
03-28-2012, 12:33 PM
Is this award meant to actually recognize the best coach or just reward a team who used to have the worst coach

johnk
03-28-2012, 01:35 PM
Winning the worst league out of the 4 major conferences and coming out of the worst bracket in the NCAAs (by far) is a tremendous accomplishment... for Union.

Yea should have beeen easy for such a slam dunk Penrose winner to beat this team in Bridgeport instead of getting dominated!! Good call... for you!

acs64
03-28-2012, 01:37 PM
Actually this is called the Spencer Abbott award....and Timmay has this one in the bag. So go cry elsewhere. Timmay will display trophy next to Hobey trophy out of respect.

Nick Papagiorgio
03-28-2012, 02:03 PM
Yea should have beeen easy for such a slam dunk Penrose winner to beat this team in Bridgeport instead of getting dominated!! Good call... for you!

Yea who needs players anyway.

goldy_331
03-28-2012, 02:04 PM
Anyway, are the finalists really "named"? Isn't it the same thing every year? League COTYs and FF coaches?

Well, yeah, but they named them! ;)

J.D.
03-28-2012, 04:13 PM
When did losing 3-2 with an ENG become "dominated"? Bennett doesn't deserve the penrose just because of that one game. That fact UML was in that position was miraculous based off last year.

UMLFan
03-28-2012, 04:20 PM
When did losing 3-2 with an ENG become "dominated"? Bennett doesn't deserve the penrose just because of that one game. That fact UML was in that position was miraculous based off last year.To be fair, as much as I think this is Bazin's to lose, Union did pretty much dominate that game. :(

johnk
03-28-2012, 05:50 PM
When did losing 3-2 with an ENG become "dominated"? Bennett doesn't deserve the penrose just because of that one game. That fact UML was in that position was miraculous based off last year.

Watch the game and not the boxscore. Think its going to go to Bazin but no scholarships and losing starting goalie to the Devils as a underclassman is a tough go for a first year head coach. Also no NHL draft picks on the Union roster.

icehawk
03-28-2012, 08:40 PM
With all due respect to Nate Leaman, a great coach.... Bennett was instrumental in recruiting many of the players on the team. I'd have Bazin second on the ballot.Put down the pipe. Sheesh.

giwan
03-29-2012, 05:05 PM
It's between these 4 any argument there?

Norm Bazin, UMass-Lowell - Hockey East Coach of the Year
Rick Bennett, Union - ECAC Coach of the Year and NCAA Semifinalist
Bob Daniels, Ferris State - CCHA Coach of the Year and NCAA Semifinalist*
Mel Pearson, Michigan Tech - WCHA Coach of the Year

Onion Man
03-29-2012, 05:25 PM
Bazin deserves it, but he's not the best coach on that list. The job he did this year was miraculous. Either that or Blaise McDonald sucked much worse than anything imagined.

Patman
03-29-2012, 09:06 PM
Watch the game and not the boxscore. Think its going to go to Bazin but no scholarships and losing starting goalie to the Devils as a underclassman is a tough go for a first year head coach. Also no NHL draft picks on the Union roster.

They also had no scholarships last year, right? You're just reinforcing the job of Leaman.

johnk
03-30-2012, 05:48 AM
They also had no scholarships last year, right? You're just reinforcing the job of Leaman.

I don't know did Leaman win a playoff game/series? Didn't get out of first round of ECAC's and didn't win an NCAA game compared to winning the ECAC tourney and going to Frozen Four. What exactly am I reinforcing?

Patman
03-30-2012, 06:58 AM
I don't know did Leaman win a playoff game/series? Didn't get out of first round of ECAC's and didn't win an NCAA game compared to winning the ECAC tourney and going to Frozen Four. What exactly am I reinforcing?

I didn't know 3 games defined a season? You are reinforcing that the predecessor did the work bringing the guys in... Hell, I could argue that your new coach only did slightly better than coasting.

I mean, you guys had a great year but you were already primed.

UnionHockeyManiac
03-30-2012, 08:35 AM
I didn't know 3 games defined a season? You are reinforcing that the predecessor did the work bringing the guys in... Hell, I could argue that your new coach only did slightly better than coasting.

I mean, you guys had a great year but you were already primed.

You know that Bennett was the Associate Head Coach under Leaman, right? He was the one responsible for recruiting the majority of the current roster. It's not like he came out of nowhere to take over an already amazing team. He was instrumental in putting this team together.

Having said that, I still think Bazin gets it with Bennett and Daniels close behind.

DMA
03-30-2012, 09:29 AM
It is hard to argue with the job Bazin did. It was a spectacular one-year turnaround.

However, just to be clear on Rick Bennett, his one-year performance was extremely impressive. Look at what Union lost from last season -- Keith Kinkaid, the most highly touted player from a professional standpoint in the history of the program (a goalie, compounding the loss), the coach who built the program (with a huge assist from Bennett) from dust, and the program's all-time leading scorer (Adam Presizniuk). We all know Troy Grosenick now, but coming into the season he was untested (started one game last season, against UConn). Also, folks close to the program will tell you that Rick Bennett's calm demeanor is a vital part of this team's character, and that the team entered the post-season with an entirely different attitude than last year. Part of that is experience, but a good part is the business-as-usual way that Bennett handles himself. He also had to make the enormous jump from the friendly assistant's role to the more discilpinarian head coach role. All this without ever having been a head coach before.

The real story at Union is that it may well be the most extraordinary job of program building in the hisotry of NCAA Division I hockey. When one considers not only where this program was for virtaully all of its Division 1 history, but what they had to work with, which was pretty much a vision and a great academic school, I cannot think of a comparable example. This is not a one-year fliuke, but something that has been built from the ground up over the past several years. Rick Bennett was front and center throughout that process. He won this year with HIS guys.

UpNorthHockey
03-30-2012, 01:31 PM
If Ferris goes to the final game, I think Daniels will get the nod. For Bennett to get the nod, Union has to win it all. Between Bazin and Pearson, Bazin has an edge, although Pearson pulled his team from a deeper dumpster. If Tech had made it to the NCAA tourney, Pearson would be in a better position, but Tech barely climbed out of the WCHA bottom third.

giwan
03-30-2012, 01:47 PM
Who actually votes for this?

ScottK
03-30-2012, 02:25 PM
If Ferris goes to the final game, I think Daniels will get the nod. For Bennett to get the nod, Union has to win it all. Between Bazin and Pearson, Bazin has an edge, although Pearson pulled his team from a deeper dumpster. If Tech had made it to the NCAA tourney, Pearson would be in a better position, but Tech barely climbed out of the WCHA bottom third.

Since it's awarded the day before the Final, the voting is likely over already. I don't think who wins on Thursday will have any bearing on the award. ;)