2012 Frozen Four: Union vs. Ferris State; Minnesota vs. Boston College

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2012 Frozen Four: Union vs. Ferris State; Minnesota vs. Boston College

I apologize for my gopher bretheren. They haven't had their zoloft today.
    Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
      I hate sandbagging. Yes, BC is the favorite...albeit maybe a slight one. Somebody has to be. That is not saying anything bad about Minnesota. BC fans are not declaring victory...all that has been done by other fans.
      If I'm reading KRACH correctly, BC would win 62.5% of the time against MN.

Comment

Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
        Wow. That's better than a coin flip. Give them the trophy now.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
          So it's just you and I then? Sweet!
          Nope. There's three of us.

Man. I'd be thankful if we got at least 5 shots on goal this weekend.
          FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Again though, KRACH only takes into consideration W/L record, and W/L record of opponents, and so on. If the hypothesis that MN has an "unlucky" W/L record based on actual performance is true, KRACH would not be any better at accounting for that than PWR or RPI.

I do think KRACH is a pretty neat little tool though, and a cool way of thinking about the rankings. It just isnt really any different than RPI, just a different way of thinking about it. Hockey is way behind baseball when it comes to advanced metrics.

In the absence of any really good metrics, a good rule of thumb is "what is vegas offering?" On a niche sport like college hockey the gambling market is not as efficient as, say NFL, but its probably better than nothing.
            Last edited by vhawk; 03-28-2012, 05:58 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by vhawk View Post
              Again though, KRACH only takes into consideration W/L record, and W/L record of opponents, and so on. If the hypothesis that MN has an "unlucky" W/L record based on actual performance is true, KRACH would not be any better at accounting for that than PWR or RPI.

I do think KRACH is a pretty neat little tool though, and a cool way of thinking about the rankings. It just isnt really any different than RPI, just a different way of thinking about it. Hockey is way behind baseball when it comes to advanced metrics.

In the absence of any really good metrics, a good rule of thumb is "what is vegas offering?" On a niche sport like college hockey the gambling market is not as efficient as, say NFL, but its probably better than nothing.
              Hockey isn't as far behind as you 'd imagine. See Corsi, Fenwick, etc measurements. They just aren't really applied much to the college game.
              @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
              On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
              High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

I could certainly buy that... 62.5% is by no means prohibitive. 5W:3L ratio.
                BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                Skating Friar Jersey
                AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Kneel before BjugZOD!

It's not a matter of is MN going to win, it's going to be how MUCH does MN win by?
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

um.. didn't krach rank most of the ccha teams rather highly?
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                      I could care less either. In fact, I welcome the lack of respect by the media.
                      Just a fun dig, but yes you could care less but you'd have to stop talking about it.

I still think people are overlooking the winner of the 1st semi against BC on Saturday night.

I like our chances.

Comment

The BC/MN matchup sort of reminds me of the 2010 BC/UW championship game, in that UW was very, very talented, but had no frozen four experience, and I think that is what ended up costing them the game. The same thing happened to BC back in the 98 title game vs Michigan, where BC had a MAJOR edge in talent (Gionta, Reasoner, Farkas, Mottau, Bellefuille, Allen, etc), but Michigan had more upper classmen and the FF experience on their side and of course held on to beat BC in OT. Not suggesting that this means MN is going to lose, but I think the experience is the one big advantage that BC has.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                          Just a fun dig, but yes you could care less but you'd have to stop talking about it.

I still think people are overlooking the winner of the 1st semi against BC on Saturday night.

I like our chances.
                          What's the fun in that?

Seriously though, I like our chances too. If they play as well as they did this weekend, this team has what it takes to beat BC.
                          @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                          On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                          High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                            um.. didn't krach rank most of the ccha teams rather highly?
                            Possibly because the CCHA was 55-25-5 (.676) non-conference.

Comment

Originally posted by carltonbarrett View Post
                              The BC/MN matchup sort of reminds me of the 2010 BC/UW championship game, in that UW was very, very talented, but had no frozen four experience, and I think that is what ended up costing them the game. The same thing happened to BC back in the 98 title game vs Michigan, where BC had a MAJOR edge in talent (Gionta, Reasoner, Farkas, Mottau, Bellefuille, Allen, etc), but Michigan had more upper classmen and the FF experience on their side and of course held on to beat BC in OT. Not suggesting that this means MN is going to lose, but I think the experience is the one big advantage that BC has.
                              One of several, along with better talent, better coaching, better playing style, better fans. At least MN's home white sweaters are way better than those mustard colored monstrosities BC wears now.

Comment

• Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                                One of several, along with better talent, better coaching, better playing style, better fans. At least MN's home white sweaters are way better than those mustard colored monstrosities BC wears now.
                                the home whites are worse. under armour really screwed the pooch with hockey.
                                National Champions: 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949
                                Hockey East Tournament Champions: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2005, 2001, 1999, 1998, 1990, 1987
                                Hockey East Regular Season Champions: 2014, 2012, 2011, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2001, 1991, 1990, 1989, 1987, 1986, 1985

Originally posted by SteveF
                                two things you need to know about the current state of BU hockey

a) fanboys chanted 'thank you seniors' at the beanpot
                                b) fanboys chanted 'wheres your beanpot' while getting blown out in the semis of the HE tournament

Comment

Working...
                                X