Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NCHC: The Most Elite Conference in the Country

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
    In regards to expansion, it was not going to happen under the old way of things. At least the current setup allows it. Hopefully UAH finds a home, and it wouldn't surprise me if the NCHC eventually went to 10 schools (agreed that they would probably not be "new" schools, but if it accepted a school from an existing conference that would open up another slot). Hockey East could theoretically add another to get to 12, which would likely create an opening in either the ECAC or Atlantic Hockey (perhaps Navy starts up a program?). The nWCHA is probably happy with 9, but obviously would probably be open to expansion if the right opportunities came about. Ultimately, it is probably just as likely that nothing changes, but at the end of the day one bright spot of the new alignment is that it does open up the possibility for expansion.
    I don't see much expansion anytime soon, unless Moorhead suddenly shifts. I'm curious what happens to the bottom feeders of the "ELITE" conference? Enough money from playoffs etc to keep them happy? Will they be making more of less with the teams they will be playing? Maybe it does not matter, maybe it does.

Comment

completely unscientific here but I don't see the NCHC being sustainable for very long. Has everyone ruled out the possibility of re-realingment?

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
        Meh, Minnesota still has Biddy and his Cone of Ignorance.
        Unfortunetly for everyone, my Cone of Ignorance extends throughout the Upper Midwest.
        tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
          Unfortunetly for everyone, my Cone of Ignorance extends throughout the Upper Midwest.
          It has a larger footprint than WCCO.
          Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
          when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
          Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by MUnRPI View Post
            completely unscientific here but I don't see the NCHC being sustainable for very long. Has everyone ruled out the possibility of re-realingment?
            Umm we haven't even starting playing yet. Too soon
            tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

It has a larger footprint than WCCO.
              And it has all the credibility of Sid Hartman. I'm slightly funnier though.
              tUMD Hockey

Comment

Only if Bruce McLeod retires tomorrow.
                How do they expect us to throw hotdogs at the gophers with that [Expletive deleted] net in front of us?

We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard...

Original Penalty Box Member

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                  And it has all the credibility of Sid Hartman. I'm slightly funnier though.
                  And slightly more senile.
                  Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                  when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                  Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

And slightly more senile.
                    Is that even possible?
                    How do they expect us to throw hotdogs at the gophers with that [Expletive deleted] net in front of us?

We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard...

Original Penalty Box Member

Comment

Why? There's a lot of talk on here about the NCHC being "elite," but what does that even mean? Are we talking quality of hockey? Because there's no denying that the NCHC schools are among the tops in the NCAA in attendance; that's just pure numbers. So either...

A. They are elite and that's why they draw fans. In which case they'll still do well in their 10-game non-conference schedule, so even in a bad year, most NCHC schools will finish .500 or better. Or...

B. They are not elite. In which case you have to acknowledge that the NCHC programs have better-than-average fan support, irrespective of whether they are playing elite hockey.

Either way, the only way the NCHC fails is if fan support dwindles. And there's zero evidence to support that happening anytime soon.

And I suppose even if some teams do end up perennial bottom-feeders, and their fan support drops, then that'll be the time the conference feels compelled to expand. Which seems to be what we all want anyways.
                      Last edited by bunt_q; 03-27-2012, 09:44 PM.

Comment

Related maybe, I may be getting dragged to Kentucky this summer, someplace I never envisioned myself living. Nearest college hockey: Miami (conveniently, a future conference opponent).

So I checked today... And I didn't realize this was possible. They were SOLD OUT of season tickets for this year. Can that be correct, anybody?

Comment

Originally posted by bunt_q View Post
                          Related maybe, I may be getting dragged to Kentucky this summer, someplace I never envisioned myself living. Nearest college hockey: Miami (conveniently, a future conference opponent).

So I checked today... And I didn't realize this was possible. They were SOLD OUT of season tickets for this year. Can that be correct, anybody?
                          That sounds quite possible. Those guys really support their teams, especially in good years. They have a really nice, pretty new facility that is a good place to check out a game, and they are pretty consistently putting a quality team on the ice. They do a lot of little things to foster school spirit (hiring a head coach who played for Miami, and also coached for Gwozdecky). The MU sports fans I know are pretty proud of being the Cradle of Coaches, with a ridiculous number of people who have coached there in various sports head coaching at top levels. Gwoz is actually the only hockey coach enshrined, but yeah, the short answer is that it does sound possible to me that season tickets sold out this year.

Comment

3,200 seat arena and 500+ student section. Very possible.

I was very lucky to get in for DU's opening game there.

Comment

It's a multi-year waiting list for season tickets.

Comment

It's a multi-year waiting list for season tickets.
                                Which of course can be circumvented with a four figure donation to the Red and White Club!

I was told 3+ years when I put my name down this time last year.

Comment

Working...
                                X