NCHC: The Most Elite Conference in the Country

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NCHC: The Most Elite Conference in the Country

The NCHC has greatly overestimated itself. Besides Miami and Western Michigan, which NCHC school has any name recognition outside of college hockey?
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
      The NCHC has greatly overestimated itself. Besides Miami and Western Michigan, which NCHC school has any name recognition outside of college hockey?
      Considering that the NCHC is purely a college hockey conference, what does name recognition outside of college hockey have anything to do with this?
      North Dakota
      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
        Considering that the NCHC is purely a college hockey conference, what does name recognition outside of college hockey have anything to do with this?
        With that logic, what does a national TV deal in order to create more exposure have to do with playing hockey? The teams you are leaving are all recognizable to those familiar with college hockey.
        MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post
          With that logic, what does a national TV deal in order to create more exposure have to do with playing hockey? The teams you are leaving are all recognizable to those familiar with college hockey.
          Who said anything about a national TV deal? I was simply asking why it matters to have name recognition outside of college hockey for the NCHC?

I'm not leaving any team...FWIW, I was against my schools' involvement in the creation of the NCHC.

It still amazes me that fans are still so butthurt over the NCHC. It happened. We'll find out in a few years whether it was a successful endeavor or not. It could very well be very beneficial for the teams that will be in the nWCHA. It could very well turn out to be very beneficial for college hockey in general. I guess people fear change, and are willing to blindly lash out against something that could very well be of great benefit to them and their program.
          North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
            We Can't play Hockey Association? Isn't the joke supposed to be against someone who doesn't win? Not much humor making fun of the Yankees for winning all those Championships
            Except that the joke really is on the Yankees and they don't even know it!

Yankee:
            1683, a name applied disparagingly by Dutch settlers in New Amsterdam (New York) to English colonists in neighboring Connecticut.
            "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
              Except that the joke really is on the Yankees and they don't even know it!

Yankee:
              Sounds hostile and abusive to me.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                Besides Miami and Western Michigan, which NCHC school has any name recognition outside of college hockey?
                So if you're excluding college hockey (the topic of this board and the purpose of the new conference, incidentally) ...you're asking which other NCHC school has name recognition in other sports? So, basketball and football, I assume? How is that relevant? In the "real world" - you know, where people go to college, graduate, get paying jobs... Denver and CC, at least, have very good reputations. I can't speak for the other schools.

I've always rather enjoyed that the CC students' favorite Denver taunt is "safe-ty scho-ol." Hockey, and books, that's what those schools care about. No name recognition for football and basketball fans? Thank God.

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                I've got all the time in the world. I'll trash them until I'm too old and feeble to pick up the keyboard. Fighting Sioux, Bulldogs, Tigers, you can come home. the rest can rot in hell.
                Ooh, this is fun. So...

CC, North Dakota, Minnesota-Duluth: not evil.

Denver, St. Cloud, Nebraska-Omaha: the devils.

Now, I get the hatred toward the new conference... I don't agree, but I get it... but even so, that is an awfully strange way to draw the lines. I don't think I've ever stumbled across a nacho hate-fest on here and seen the Sioux excluded (but poor St. Cloud tossed in for the wolves). Ouch.

EDIT: Why UNO? Or is it just that you don't care about them either way, so no need to invite them back? Wait... is that recognition... that some schools are more fun to play than others? From a Tech fan? Uh oh, I see a slippery slope. Surely you have a reason for hating UNO more than the others.
                Last edited by bunt_q; 03-27-2012, 04:28 PM.

Comment

That's because SCSU doesn't have me and UND does. I make everything better!
                  Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                  when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                  Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                    Who said anything about a national TV deal? I was simply asking why it matters to have name recognition outside of college hockey for the NCHC?

I'm not leaving any team...FWIW, I was against my schools' involvement in the creation of the NCHC.

It still amazes me that fans are still so butthurt over the NCHC. It happened. We'll find out in a few years whether it was a successful endeavor or not. It could very well be very beneficial for the teams that will be in the nWCHA. It could very well turn out to be very beneficial for college hockey in general. I guess people fear change, and are willing to blindly lash out against something that could very well be of great benefit to them and their program.
                    I probably should have put the face in there.. merely harassing you. I'm aware you are one of the saner folks out there about it

But I'm not butthurt about it. Do I like it? Nope. Do I think we may have better chances in the newer league, maybe, but I'd still rather be in the WCHA, I'd rather have the Final 5. I'm not blindly lashing out at all.

I don't think it helps expansion like has been said though... You have 6 teams that can only expand if a Big Ten member joins, unlikely. Then you have Elitists, chances of them accepting a new program based on why they created the new league seems unlikely. Then you have teams that the NCHC teams feel don't have enough money to play with them that are supposed to be the conference for expansion? (not that I'm against that. I say bring UAH, costs be ****ed)
                    MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                      When you put it that way they are adorable aren't they?
                      they are so cute ... punching guys in the handshake line, the coach giving refs the finger, fans like Dirty ... what's not to love?
                      Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                      "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                      Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                      Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post
                        I don't think it helps expansion like has been said though... You have 6 teams that can only expand if a Big Ten member joins, unlikely. Then you have Elitists, chances of them accepting a new program based on why they created the new league seems unlikely. Then you have teams that the NCHC teams feel don't have enough money to play with them that are supposed to be the conference for expansion? (not that I'm against that. I say bring UAH, costs be ****ed)
                        In regards to expansion, it was not going to happen under the old way of things. At least the current setup allows it. Hopefully UAH finds a home, and it wouldn't surprise me if the NCHC eventually went to 10 schools (agreed that they would probably not be "new" schools, but if it accepted a school from an existing conference that would open up another slot). Hockey East could theoretically add another to get to 12, which would likely create an opening in either the ECAC or Atlantic Hockey (perhaps Navy starts up a program?). The nWCHA is probably happy with 9, but obviously would probably be open to expansion if the right opportunities came about. Ultimately, it is probably just as likely that nothing changes, but at the end of the day one bright spot of the new alignment is that it does open up the possibility for expansion.
                        North Dakota

Comment

He hates SCSU cause his team can't win in our building.
                          tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                            That's because SCSU doesn't have me and UND does. I make everything better!
                            You moved from MN to ND and raised the IQ of both states.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                            And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                            Twenty red lights in his honor
                            Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                              That's because with Atlantic Hockey, the joke is already on the ice, so there's no need to make one out of the name.
                              Now I'm rooting for Ferris State since RIT (an AHA team) beat them this year. Pay no attention to that beatdown Union put on the Tigers.
                              2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                              2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                              2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                              2010 Frozen Four participant
                              2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
                                You moved from MN to ND and raised the IQ of both states.
                                Meh, Minnesota still has Biddy and his Cone of Ignorance.
                                Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                                when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                                Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Working...
                                X