Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2011-2012 North Dakota Offseason Thread

Originally posted by Rtn2GoldCountry View Post
    Anyone who wants to keep this nickname, or any other nickname that supposedly "honors" the tradition of a Native American tribe should have to take a course on the history of American Indians. What European settlers, and later the United States did to these people was straight genocide. Estimations about the % of the Native American population killed off are staggering. For a government institution, which is what the University of North Dakota is, whether it be local, state or federal to use the Sioux name and image, and in some cases profit off of it, after what the US Army did to the remainder of Crazy Horse's band of Oglala Lakotas at Wounded Knee, South Dakota in 1890 is a joke. And no a statue outside the hockey arena and a monument to Crazy Horse out in the Black Hills does not make up for it. I am glad that the name and logo are gone, hopefully for good.
    But, by all means, let's honor and support a mascot of the white man who perpetrated said genocide!

Because being named the: Fighting Generals, North Dakota Rangers, or even the U-N-D Blankets are such better ideas than honoring the natives of the region.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Anyone who wants to keep this nickname, or any other nickname that supposedly "honors" the tradition of a Native American tribe should have to take a course on the history of American Indians. What European settlers, and later the United States did to these people was straight genocide. Estimations about the % of the Native American population killed off are staggering. For a government institution, which is what the University of North Dakota is, whether it be local, state or federal to use the Sioux name and image, and in some cases profit off of it, after what the US Army did to the remainder of Crazy Horse's band of Oglala Lakotas at Wounded Knee, South Dakota in 1890 is a joke. And no a statue outside the hockey arena and a monument to Crazy Horse out in the Black Hills does not make up for it. I am glad that the name and logo are gone, hopefully for good.
      Germany started both World Wars and Hitler exterminated millions of Jews. I guess I'd better divorce my German wife.
      "My greatest achievement."
      Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

You couldn't have searched and found another thread? There has to be hundreds of threads on this subject.
        Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
        dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
        wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Rtn2GoldCountry;5458014[B
          ]Anyone who wants to keep this nickname, or any other nickname that supposedly "honors" the tradition of a Native American tribe should have to take a course on the history of American Indians.[/B] What European settlers, and later the United States did to these people was straight genocide. Estimations about the % of the Native American population killed off are staggering. For a government institution, which is what the University of North Dakota is, whether it be local, state or federal to use the Sioux name and image, and in some cases profit off of it, after what the US Army did to the remainder of Crazy Horse's band of Oglala Lakotas at Wounded Knee, South Dakota in 1890 is a joke. And no a statue outside the hockey arena and a monument to Crazy Horse out in the Black Hills does not make up for it. I am glad that the name and logo are gone, hopefully for good.
          I think you should try to take this to the Spirit Lake Tribe, where almost 70% of their voting population wanted to have UND keep the name... most think that had Standing Rock been allowed to vote it would have been very similar. That said it is the right thing for the University of North Dakota to be able to retire the name, however wrong in this politically-correct world gone amok.

Comment

Hope there's thread to help you guys pick your new name.

My school went from the Burnsville Braves to the Burnsville Blaze. That was awesome.

Hmmm, the North Dakota Fighting Blaze.....
            Better dead than Red

Comment

Originally posted by ski View Post
              Hope there's thread to help you guys pick your new name.

My school went from the Burnsville Braves to the Burnsville Blaze. That was awesome.

Hmmm, the North Dakota Fighting Blaze.....
              Fighting Blais.
              "My greatest achievement."
              Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

Hope you guys are enjoying the new banner the NCAA sent you!

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                  Hope you guys are enjoying the new banner the NCAA sent you!
                  You can understand the mistake...the NCAA is used to sending DI championship banners to Grand Forks instead of Fargo.
                  Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                  Originally posted by Quizmire
                  mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                  MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                  MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                  I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Let's Go Flickertails!
                    Expectation has the encumberance of truth while hope lives its own life, wild and free.

Comment

Originally posted by BU2K View Post
                      Let's Go Flickertails!
                      Never gets old!

Comment

Originally posted by BU2K View Post
                        Let's Go Flickertails!
                        Originally posted by RinkPig View Post
                        Never gets old!
                        It would be utterly humiliating to have our school mascot be a gopher.

North Dakota
                        National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                          It would be utterly humiliating to have our school mascot be a gopher.

Oh, look at the bright side - the NCAA might send you more banners by mistake then!

Comment

Not happy with the idea that you'll no longer be the Sioux anymore. But since the NCAA backed off and OK'ed the hostile and abusive names at Florida State and all that, and that idiot at Standing Rock who kept his people from actually voting on it, there really isn't much you guys could do about it. Still think it would be cooler to just go with no nickname, just saying that the NCAA stole it, just like a white man would.
                            bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                              Oh, look at the bright side - the NCAA might send you more banners by mistake then!
                              I suppose we could use a Women's National Championship banner. I'm not sure where we'd put it though. Of course, the ladies just might win their own banner this next season.

It was odd that we received the banner from the NCAA the day after the vote on the nickname.
                              North Dakota
                              National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post

It was odd that we received the banner from the NCAA the day after the vote on the nickname.
                                I say you guys should hold onto the Banner until NDSU agrees to play for the Nickel once more.
                                bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Working...
                                X