2011-2012 North Dakota Offseason Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2011-2012 North Dakota Offseason Thread

Great news about Kristo. I had a hunch that he would return, but you never know in these situations. As Kristo said himself, it was 50/50 for awhile.

That should solidify our roster for next season. Obviously things can happen still, as I don't believe Forbort or Simpson have confirmed that they are coming back, but I haven't really heard any rumors that they were thinking about leaving (if anyone knows otherwise, please correct this). Anyway...

Forwards: (17)
    Kristo (Sr.) (last year 19-26-45)
    Knight (Sr.) (16-24-40)
    Rowney (Sr.) (18-15-33)
    Rodwell (Jr.) (1-1-2)*
    Dickin (Jr.) (1-1-2)
    Mitch MacMillan (Jr.) (0-5-5)**
    Mark MacMillan (So.) (7-16-23)
    Parks (So.) (12-10-22)
    Gaarder (So.) (4-6-10)
    Pattyn (So.) (4-3-7)
    O'Donnell (So.) (5-1-6)*
    Grimaldi (Fr.) (1-1-2)*
    St. Clair (Fr.)
    Chyzyk (Fr.)
    Koules (Fr.)
    Sanderson (Fr.)
    Caggiula (Fr.)

Defensemen: (8)
    Gleason (Sr.) (0-15-15)
    MacWilliam (Sr.) (2-5-7)
    Simpson (Jr.) (2-16-18)
    Forbort (Jr.) (2-11-13)
    Mattson (So.) (6-13-19)
    Panzarella (So.) (0-4-4)
    Senkbeil (So.) (0-3-3)
    Schmaltz (Fr.)

* Missed majority of season due to injury
    ** Missed majority of season due to transfer, will come in for second half of season

North Dakota returns 100 goals out of 135 from last season (~75%), and when you factor in that three key players missed more than half the season, our numbers in that category should significantly improve. Further, Schmaltz has 10-31-41 on the season in the USHL as a blueliner, so I would expect our goal production from our blueliners to increase (last year we had 15 goals by defensemen). I think this team should put up close to 4/game next season.

Potential Lines: (via BrianVF from SiouxSports)
    Parks-Knight-Kristo
    MacMillan-Grimaldi-O'Donnell
    Chyzyk-Rowney-Rodwell
    Pattyn-Gaarder/Koules-St. Clair

Extras: Mitch MacMillan, Dickin, Sanderson, Caggiula (could crack his way into the lineup, especially after his great postseason)

Forbort-Schmaltz
    MacWilliam-Mattson
    Simpson-Gleason

Extras: Panzarella, Senkbeil

Dell (likely to sign early)
    Saunders
    Gothberg
    Maris

Anyone else excited for next season?
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

I find it hard to believe UND will carry 28 players on it's roster (29 should Dell return). Granted, Mitch M. won't be eligible until December, but if this turns out to be true there are going to be some ice time issues.
      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
        I find it hard to believe UND will carry 28 players on it's roster (29 should Dell return). Granted, Mitch M. won't be eligible until December, but if this turns out to be true there are going to be some ice time issues.
        I could see it happening for 1 season. Maris knows his role on the team, and there could be a huge turnover following the season (Kristo, Knight, Rowney, Gleason, MacWilliam, Dell (if he stays) for certain, plus potential early departures in Forbort and Simpson, and perhaps early departures with Grimaldi and Schmaltz). Further, we seem to have a high number of walk-ons, who, like Maris, know their role on the team.

There is also the possibility that Koules goes Major Junior and we never see him on campus, and they could always hold Caggiula back a year.

Again though, given all that, I could see them having 29 for 1 season (26ish is usually where they like to be), plus it certainly sounds like Dell is gone.
        North Dakota

Comment

TJ Oshie needs your vote. He a chance to be on the cover of EA Sports NHL 13.

http://covervote.nhl.com/:b=ie7/#/ballot
          "For me, college hockey was obviously the best step I could have taken to get to the next level." - Jonathan Toews, North Dakota/Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
            A little more competition for ice time could actually speed up player development.
            "For me, college hockey was obviously the best step I could have taken to get to the next level." - Jonathan Toews, North Dakota/Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
              Forwards: (17)
              Kristo (Sr.) (last year 19-26-45)
              Knight (Sr.) (16-24-40)
              Rowney (Sr.) (18-15-33)
              Rodwell (Jr.) (1-1-2)*
              Dickin (Jr.) (1-1-2)
              Mitch MacMillan (Jr.) (0-5-5)**
              Mark MacMillan (So.) (7-16-23)
              Parks (So.) (12-10-22)
              Gaarder (So.) (4-6-10)
              Pattyn (So.) (4-3-7)
              O'Donnell (So.) (5-1-6)*
              Grimaldi (Fr.) (1-1-2)*
              St. Clair (Fr.)
              Chyzyk (Fr.)
              Koules (Fr.)
              Sanderson (Fr.)
              Caggiula (Fr.)

Defensemen: (8)
              Gleason (Sr.) (0-15-15)
              MacWilliam (Sr.) (2-5-7)
              Simpson (Jr.) (2-16-18)
              Forbort (Jr.) (2-11-13)
              Mattson (So.) (6-13-19)
              Panzarella (So.) (0-4-4)
              Senkbeil (So.) (0-3-3)
              Schmaltz (Fr.)

* Missed majority of season due to injury
              ** Missed majority of season due to transfer, will come in for second half of season

Potential Lines: (via BrianVF from SiouxSports)
              Parks-Knight-Kristo
              MacMillan-Grimaldi-O'Donnell
              Chyzyk-Rowney-Rodwell
              Pattyn-Gaarder/Koules-St. Clair

Extras: Mitch MacMillan, Dickin, Sanderson, Caggiula (could crack his way into the lineup, especially after his great postseason)

Forbort-Schmaltz
              MacWilliam-Mattson
              Simpson-Gleason

Extras: Panzarella, Senkbeil

Dell (likely to sign early)
              Saunders
              Gothberg
              Maris
              Really excited for what we're returning! I would be stunned if Simpson left, he clearly values education, he's on the dean's list. Forbort I could see leaving, but it sounds like he is intending on staying. I haven't heard any new info on Dell, but I still hear he's going to leave. Other than returning a good team, there's not much reason for him to stay. It sounds like Seth Jones is also out of the mix, but I haven't seen his name mentioned, which could potentially bump it up to 30!!! If you look at who we're returning, there is no reason for Jones to come here (as nice as it would be). Who do you possibly take out of our D pairings?

I don't think those lines are at all realistic, though. I can't imagine they put Rowney on the third line after how he performed last year. Also, Grimaldi is very good, but (from the little bit I saw last year) lacks the grit to play UND center. I think we're more likely to see something along the lines of:

Ma. MacMillan (he played with Knight and Kristo earlier this year) - Knight - Kristo
              Parks - Rowney - Grimaldi
              O'Donnell - Gaarder - Rodwell
              Caggiula- St. Clair - Koules

Extras: Dickin, Sanderson, Pattyn, Chyzyk, Mi. MacMillan (I think they pair him up with his brother somehow come December)
              I don't know much about the incoming freshmen, but I would think it'd look something similar to that. I could even imagine Grimaldi getting moved to LW on the first line just because of the momentum the MacMillan - Rowney - Parks line had going at the end of the year.

Forbort - Schmaltz
              MacWilliam - Mattson
              Simpson - Gleason

I am very excited, this team has the potential to be phenomenal.

Comment

With Kristo, Grimaldi, Parks, MacM, O'Donnell, Gleason, and Mattson, this team will have a level of quickness we haven't seen in a while at UND.

Comment

A further note on Kristo, Danny currently has 42-67-109 totals for his career. If he has a 55 point season, he will tie Cary Eades for 17th place on the All-Time North Dakota scoring list. If he has a 61 point season, he will tie Tony Hrkac for 16th position. Of course, Hrkac put up 170 points in 84 games... If Kristo puts up 45 points, that will tie him with Brandon Bochenski (and Mike Burggraf) for 20th position. To reach Duncan, he would need 63 points. The point is Kristo could very well go down as one of the All-Time greats that have played at UND, especially if he is able to lead North Dakota to the title.

Obviously, 55-61 points likely puts Kristo as a Hobey favorite and 10-16 points more than this past season, but it is at least in the realm of possible (Spencer Abbott led the nation in scoring this season with 62 points).
                  North Dakota

Comment

A further note on Kristo, Danny currently has 42-67-109 totals for his career. If he has a 55 point season, he will tie Cary Eades for 17th place on the All-Time North Dakota scoring list. If he has a 61 point season, he will tie Tony Hrkac for 16th position. Of course, Hrkac put up 170 points in 84 games... If Kristo puts up 45 points, that will tie him with Brandon Bochenski (and Mike Burggraf) for 20th position. To reach Duncan, he would need 63 points. The point is Kristo could very well go down as one of the All-Time greats that have played at UND, especially if he is able to lead North Dakota to the title.

Obviously, 55-61 points likely puts Kristo as a Hobey favorite and 10-16 points more than this past season, but it is at least in the realm of possible (Spencer Abbott led the nation in scoring this season with 62 points).
                    Underscores how the game has changed since Greg Johnson played. What--250 points?

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                      Underscores how the game has changed since Greg Johnson played. What--250 points?
                      272. 74-198-272 in 155 games (1.75 points/game)
                      North Dakota

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post
                        With Kristo, Grimaldi, Parks, MacM, O'Donnell, Gleason, and Mattson, this team will have a level of quickness we haven't seen in a while at UND.
                        We'll need it to beat Minnesota.
                        AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

The Sioux should be highly competitive nationally and in te conference, count me in as excited!
                          AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Well, that and a character transplant.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                              Well, that and a character transplant.
                              You can take the kid out of Minnesota, but you can't take the Minnesota out of the kid
                              North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                                We'll need it to beat Minnesota.
                                Agreed. The Gophers and the Sioux are going to be the top two teams next season in the WCHA. If the Sioux want to win the MacNaughton they will have to start strong from the beginning of the season. Starting 1-5-0 would be a killer for Cup dreams. Fortunately, our first 3 WCHA series are somewhat favorable, as we play Anchorage at home, travel to SCSU, then back home against Duluth. 5-1-0 is possible if the Sioux play to their ability at the beginning of the season.
                                North Dakota

Comment

Working...
                                X