Maine - the Golfing Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine - the Golfing Season

OK. Just thought it was a little strange to have a exhibition game the day after the first game of the season.

I'm coming down for the UNB game on Sunday but I might catch the Quinnipac game Saturday night as well.

Comment

There shouldn't be any hockey games on homecoming, especially this year. With Maine-New Hampshire playing a HUGE game on Saturday, in addition to being the 100th UM-UNH game, there shouldn't be any other game on campus that day. It takes the spotlight off of the football team, something they've earned in the past year. Homecoming hockey games hurt football attendance historically. Play the hockey games Thurs/Fri or Fri/Sun but keep Saturday for the football team only. Yet again, hockey overshadows Maine Football. At least they're playing St. Lawrence...

Comment

Originally posted by dunbar View Post
        There shouldn't be any hockey games on homecoming, especially this year. With Maine-New Hampshire playing a HUGE game on Saturday, in addition to being the 100th UM-UNH game, there shouldn't be any other game on campus that day. It takes the spotlight off of the football team, something they've earned in the past year. Homecoming hockey games hurt football attendance historically. Play the hockey games Thurs/Fri or Fri/Sun but keep Saturday for the football team only. Yet again, hockey overshadows Maine Football. At least they're playing St. Lawrence...
        Maybe that was UM's plan...have the Football game which in turn would bring the Hockey Fans to the FB game and then later the Football Fans going to the Hockey game...adding attendence to both games would mean more dollars to the U....one last question on the FB,usual that game between UM/UNH is the last game of the regular season..? I always thought it fell that way,just wondering why the change..?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
          Maybe that was UM's plan...have the Football game which in turn would bring the Hockey Fans to the FB game and then later the Football Fans going to the Hockey game...adding attendence to both games would mean more dollars to the U....one last question on the FB,usual that game between UM/UNH is the last game of the regular season..? I always thought it fell that way,just wondering why the change..?
          The CAA has had scheduling problems since Northeastern and Hofstra dropped football. That's why the Maine-New Hampshire game has jumped around the past three years. The funny part is that homecoming, the battle for the musket, and the 100th game gets packaged into one and works out for the better. Not to mention UM and UNH have had GREAT games the past few years starting with the snow bowl of '08.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
            Very nice schedule. Five teams in the nonleague schedule had 19 or more wins last year.
            I won't look at last year's results, but Duluth and Notre Dame seem to me to be the only quality OOC teams Maine has in concrete.

I don't see St. Lawrence as representing a possible RPI boost, nor the Q, either...

Maine better fare well v. UMD and ND if they want to garner any RPI/PWCs from this (mostly) lackluster docket, if you ask me.
            Last edited by Fishman'81; 07-09-2012, 03:58 AM.

Comment

The 2012-2013 Maine Black Bear Rosters has been posted:

http://www.goblackbears.com/sports/m...2012-13/roster

Freshmen/#s:
              Kyle Williams - 6
              Ryan Lomberg -7
              Ben Hutton - 10
              Steven Swavely-11
              Will Merchant - 28
              Matt Morris - 36
              Conor Riley - 44
              Devin Shore - 94

Comment

Originally posted by Maine Event View Post
                Conor Riley - 44
                And another year goes by without retiring Paul Lynch's number.

Comment

Black Bears release 2012-’13 roster
                  By Chris Roy Published: 10th July 2012

Portland, ME – The University of Maine released its men’s ice hockey roster for the upcoming 2012-2013 season on Monday.
                  Link>>>>

Comment

(Is it just me, or does it seem that Leidermark has been there for 10 years?)

Scanning the roster, I see quite a few young guys who have shown me some real potential, but nothing outstanding as of yet. It would be great to see a couple (or two or three of them) blossom at the same time... I have especially high hopes for Parker.

Here's hoping that Shore is as good as advertised, and that Sully's judgment/positioning improves. Not gonna bet the farm on either thing happening, but you never know.

Should be an interesting season. Not expecting the moon, but this team could conceivably roll four effective lines and grind out 18-20 wins, considering their schedule.
                    Last edited by Fishman'81; 07-10-2012, 02:50 AM.

Comment

I would suspect that the freshmen will be on campus next month. Money was found last year to bring the new players in early and it seemed to work well.

Comment

I'm curious as to when Maine last had a 2nd-round NHL draftee on the roster. (I figure that a couple of you guys might know that off the top of your heads, save me the search...?)

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                          I'm curious as to when Maine last had a 2nd-round NHL draftee on the roster. (I figure that a couple of you guys might know that off the top of your heads, save me the search...?)
                          Jimmy?

Comment

NHL.com announces that Teddy Purcell has received a three year extension with the Tampa Bay Lightning.

Comment

Simon in '06 was the last 2nd rounder.

Jimmy was '03
                              and Janik was '99 (along with Billy Ryan's Brother Mike, in the second round)
                              Last edited by KnowItAll; 07-11-2012, 12:16 PM.

Comment

(Is it just me, or does it seem that Leidermark has been there for 10 years?).
                                I remember seeing his first NCAA shift at Union... sonofaknowitall could not believe his eyes.

I am glad that he has turned into a very good penalty killer

Comment

Working...
                                X