Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine - the Golfing Season

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
    Yep. How much sense does it make to try and run an all-sports radio station in Bango/Orono if you can't broadcast UMaine?
    It absolutely killed them, they weren't making much money(maybe losing some) when they had UMaine but it gave people a reason to listen. It was obvious listening to Duff talk about the situation that he knew way back when it was over.
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
      It absolutely killed them, they weren't making much money(maybe losing some) when they had UMaine but it gave people a reason to listen. It was obvious listening to Duff talk about the situation that he knew way back when it was over.
      And now we get the UMaine broadcasts going from station to station every year, I couldn't tell you what frequency any given sport is on, I have to look it up every time.

Comment

Yep. How much sense does it make to try and run an all-sports radio station in Bango/Orono if you can't broadcast UMaine?
        how many people listened to each of the different type of Maine games?
        do you think that more than a couple thousand tuned in to a football game? (I would bet it is in the hundreds, but i have NO idea)

I can believe that maybe 5,000 tuned in to away hockey games, but other than that, don't you suppose that it was red sox and patriot games that sold ads?

Comment

Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
          do you think that more than a couple thousand tuned in to a football game? (I would bet it is in the hundreds, but i have NO idea)

I can believe that maybe 5,000 tuned in to away hockey games, but other than that, don't you suppose that it was red sox and patriot games that sold ads?
          Subtract from that how much it costs to broadcast Red Sox and Patriot games. They're not free.

I doubt WZON was ever a hugely profitable venture. If it were mine, I might justify it by considering it a public service - using an all-sports station to promote UMaine. Take away UMaine, and what's the point of it all?

Progressive talk radio wouldn't have been my next choice, but I guess King can do what he wants.
          1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Subtract from that how much it costs to broadcast Red Sox and Patriot games. They're not free.

I doubt WZON was ever a hugely profitable venture. If it were mine, I might justify it by considering it a public service - using an all-sports station to promote UMaine. Take away UMaine, and what's the point of it all?

Progressive talk radio wouldn't have been my next choice, but I guess King can do what he wants.
            King has said he operated the station at a loss because he felt it was a benefit to the school. When Blake told him to FOAD the reason for the station ceased to exist.

Comment

Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post

I'll bet more listen to football than hockey
              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

I would guess hockey, at least if you average the number of listeners over the past 20 years or so, but reasonable minds can differ.

All I want to know is where can I find Maine webcasts this coming season?

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                  I would guess hockey, at least if you average the number of listeners over the past 20 years or so, but reasonable minds can differ.

All I want to know is where can I find Maine webcasts this coming season?
                  used to be simple. I had almost forgotten how wonderfully cheeseball that site was
                  http://web.archive.org/web/200502040...zon/index.html
                  1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

I wonder if Penner will bring the Cup up to Maine? After all if it wasn't for Grant...blah blah blah.

Comment

Originally posted by ck1969 View Post
                      I wonder if Penner will bring the Cup up to Maine? After all if it wasn't for Grant...blah blah blah.
                      ya think he'd let us take turns drinking Allen's Coffee Flavored Brandy out of it?

Comment

The schedule hasn't officially been released yet, but piecing together what's in the schedule thread and things I've heard through the grapevine, it should look like this:

F 10/12 v Notre Dame (Kansas City)
                        S 10/13 v Army/UNO (Kansas City)
                        F 10/19 St Lawrence
                        S 10/20 St Lawrence (Homecoming Weekend)
                        F 10/26 @ Providence
                        S 10/27 @ Providence
                        Su 11/4 New Hampshire
                        F 11/9 @ Lowell
                        S 11/10 @ Lowell
                        F 11/16 Massachusetts*
                        Su 11/18 Boston College*
                        11/24 or 12/15 Quinnipiac/U-18 (Portland)*
                        F 12/7 @ Vermont*
                        Su 12/9 @ Boston University*
                        F 12/28 Duluth (Estero)
                        S 12/29 Ferris or Cornell (Estero)
                        F 1/4 Mercyhurst
                        S 1/5 Mercyhurst
                        F 1/11 @ Northeastern*
                        S 1/12 @ Merrimack
                        F 1/18 Merrimack
                        S 1/19 Merrimack
                        F 1/25 @ Boston College*
                        S 1/26 @ Boston College*
                        F 2/1 Providence
                        Su 2/3 Lowell (This is Super Bowl Sunday, so expect the 7PM time to change)
                        F 2/8 Vermont*
                        S 2/9 Vermont*
                        F 2/15 Boston University*
                        S 2/16 Boston University*
                        F 2/22 @ Massachusetts*
                        S 2/23 @ Massachusetts*
                        F 3/1 Northeastern*
                        S 3/2 Northeastern*
                        F 3/8 @ New Hampshire
                        S 3/9 @ New Hampshire

BC, BU, UMA and Vermont have not released their schedules yet, and Northeastern is still tentative. Games without a * are official. Nice to see that the hockey team will finally be home on Homecoming.
                        Last edited by Priceless; 06-15-2012, 12:11 PM. Reason: Quinnipiac instead of Harvard

Comment

Priceless, I think you mean St. Lawrence, not Quinnipiac.

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
                            Priceless, I think you mean St. Lawrence, not Quinnipiac.
                            Fixed. Thanks for the correction.

Comment

Matt Mangene and Mark Anthoine are taking part in a charity game (and more) in Saco, Maine for the Michael T. Goulet Traumatic Brain Injury & Epilepsy Foundation (Our mission is to raise awareness for prevention and improve the lives of patients and families affected by Traumatic Brain Injury & Epilepsy Disorders. We provide funding for education and research towards prevention, treatment methods, and effectiveness, to organizations and local individuals for scholarship and assistance.) on 6/24 - http://www.michaelgouletfoundation.org/faceoff2012.html

Help repair my camera gear before the new season starts
                              HockeyPhotography.com - use search to find images of your favorite college player and order prints
                              HockeyPhotos on Twitter

Comment

Unless they don't play BU, Harvard can't play in Portland. The only ECAC team with a game still available (assuming the first sentence) is Quinnipiac.

Comment

Working...
                                X