Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Wolverines: 2012-2013 Season thread!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Wolverines: 2012-2013 Season thread!!!!!!!

As for Trouba- I'm pretty sure I've mentioned a few times that his defense still needs a lot of work. He's missing physical coverage a LOT. Great shot, great passing, all that forward stuff. Just isn't covering people. Put Clare's coverage and Trouba's puck skills, and we are talking. But we are getting Clare turning the puck over, and Trouba not getting the subsuquent coverage much at all.

This team has a lot of work to do.

Comment

Although I believe both Racine and Rutledge appear on par for now, I'm ready to jump on the Racine bandwaggon. The results have been acceptable with him in net (for me, a W is acceptable).
      How long until we get Merrill back? The defense is severly lacking. Can someone teach Trouba to play solid D? There are many things I see in Trouba that remind me of Jack Johnson. Mostly, great offensive skills for a D guy, size, and failing on some of his defensive responsiblities.

Ok, with that out of the way, can we talk about my Halloween costume now? Did ya'll like it? I made it myself. I also like that I got on the big screen a lot more when my face is hidden.
      Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
      wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
      7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
        Although I believe both Racine and Rutledge appear on par for now, I'm ready to jump on the Racine bandwaggon. The results have been acceptable with him in net (for me, a W is acceptable).
        How long until we get Merrill back? The defense is severly lacking. Can someone teach Trouba to play solid D? There are many things I see in Trouba that remind me of Jack Johnson. Mostly, great offensive skills for a D guy, size, and failing on some of his defensive responsiblities.

Ok, with that out of the way, can we talk about my Halloween costume now? Did ya'll like it? I made it myself. I also like that I got on the big screen a lot more when my face is hidden.
        i was wondering where you were....

Comment

Tell me why the team plays better in front of Racine? Confidence? Luck? The kid was unconscious on Friday, when the goals that Miami scored could have been doubled, at least. He made two egregious errors that he got away with, and yet, if it was Rutledge in net, y'all would be all over him. I'll say it again, Rutledge had a poor outing against RIT and should have been vilified. He gave up 1 goal in 40 minutes, then his team went to sleep on him. I hardly think that it was "all his fault", especially since this was the 2nd time it happened to him- without the benefit of letting in a soft one. Sooner or later you're gonna have to look at the whole product here. You're asking both of these kids to come in and step into the shoes of perhaps one of best goaltenders all time in an M uniform and perform at his level because our team decides to relax on a lead and take shifts off. It's not fair to either of them. They need support, not criticism. Racine is going to have his rough spots- what are you going to say then? Red will make them make the choice easy for him, but for now the sample size is too small to make that call yet.

Oh, and wT, whatever it was I am sure it was fabulous.

Comment

Hello to all -

I figured I would post there here in case one of you had an interest. I acquired a nice collection of game used sticks (many used during their college days) of former Wolverine players. Shipping is $25 within the US for any number of sticks (the shipping cost comes from the length, the weight is minimal). (The white team signed stick and Shields signed Vic are already $old.)

$75 Stick – Mike Komisarek #8, from his time at the University of Michigan. Bauer Supreme 3030, Taped / used, no breaks, batch / pattern code 011105 01

$60 Stick – Mike Komisarek #8, from his time at the University of Michigan. Bauer Supreme 3030, Partially taped / used, no breaks, batch / pattern code 011105 01

$100 Stick, Goalie – Al Montoya, CCM / Heaton Graphite, Taped / used, no breaks, date code 12 AOUT 2004, stamped "AL.MONTOYA" from his time at the University of Michigan.

$100 Stick, Goalie – Al Montoya, CCM / Heaton Graphite, Taped / used, no breaks, date code 28 MAI 2004, stamped "AL.MONTOYA" from his time at the University of Michigan.

$100 Stick, Goalie – Dan Blackburn, TPS, Auto’d “To Keith all the best”, toe crack, stamp “BLACKBURN & 5975” - I believe this was from his last pro team in the CHL (C. C. Rayz).

Feel free to email me with any questions (info at johnsonsjerseys dot net).

http://www.johnsonsjerseys.net/hocke...gan-sticks.jpg

Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
            https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
            Originally posted by geezer
            Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
            Originally posted by manurespreader
            ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
              Tell me why the team plays better in front of Racine? Confidence? Luck? The kid was unconscious on Friday, when the goals that Miami scored could have been doubled, at least. He made two egregious errors that he got away with, and yet, if it was Rutledge in net, y'all would be all over him. I'll say it again, Rutledge had a poor outing against RIT and should have been vilified. He gave up 1 goal in 40 minutes, then his team went to sleep on him. I hardly think that it was "all his fault", especially since this was the 2nd time it happened to him- without the benefit of letting in a soft one. Sooner or later you're gonna have to look at the whole product here. You're asking both of these kids to come in and step into the shoes of perhaps one of best goaltenders all time in an M uniform and perform at his level because our team decides to relax on a lead and take shifts off. It's not fair to either of them. They need support, not criticism. Racine is going to have his rough spots- what are you going to say then? Red will make them make the choice easy for him, but for now the sample size is too small to make that call yet.

The one thing that got to me between Friday and Saturday was the blind passes/dumps. It seemed to be rampant on Saturday, and less so on Friday. Was that the goalie? Dunno. And these are not so much just basic lazy shifts, but ones that they start to panic over. And one switch that seemed to get it going was Miami's second goal- which you point out that nobody moved once the puck was dropped, and I've mentioned that a short side shot should have been covered a little better. Long side- we see that all the time, short side off the face off- not so much. Did that un-nerve the team? maybe.

Or does Trouba's issues in the D zone troubling them? Could be, too- add that with Claires carelessness with the puck? Possible.

Hope the team has figured out that they have to keep going for the whole game now. They have and have not in past years.

They are scoring some fun goals, that's for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post

I can't tell you why the team plays better in front of Racine, I can't even say they do play better in front of Racine. I just prefer the end result better for the games Racine has played. It reminds me of Sauer/Hogan. Sauer should have been the better goalie. The stats were the same. For some reason the wins came in front of Hogan. The team seemed to play better with Hogan in net.

Both Racine and Rutledge have given up goals they shouldn't have. And the D has left each high and dry too many times. We all think and hope that both those issues will dwindle as the season progresses. I won't be suprised if the goalies continue to split the weekend. I'm just saying, I'm on the Racine bandwagon for now because the W's correspond to Racine in net.

And my costume was a Yip Yip (one of the martians from Sesame Street). Although most people thought it was Cookie Monster. Either way, it was really fun.
                Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

I can't tell you why the team plays better in front of Racine, I can't even say they do play better in front of Racine. I just prefer the end result better for the games Racine has played. It reminds me of Sauer/Hogan. Sauer should have been the better goalie. The stats were the same. For some reason the wins came in front of Hogan. The team seemed to play better with Hogan in net.

Both Racine and Rutledge have given up goals they shouldn't have. And the D has left each high and dry too many times. We all think and hope that both those issues will dwindle as the season progresses. I won't be suprised if the goalies continue to split the weekend. I'm just saying, I'm on the Racine bandwagon for now because the W's correspond to Racine in net.

And my costume was a Yip Yip (one of the martians from Sesame Street). Although most people thought it was Cookie Monster. Either way, it was really fun.
                  I did see it! Yes, very creative. (And no, I don't think you were making a political message to save the muppets!)

As far as our goaltenders- Red has said it, and so has Brian Wiseman in private, that both will play until the staff determines that either one of them is not progressing. We can all use the Merrill is out excuse, but that doesn't fly. Our top d-men for the most part are high flyers (Trouba, Bennett and Moffie) with Chiasson, Clare and Serville more the conservative guys. Clare is the only guy on the negative side, yet all of them were at fault for the 3rd period collapse. Bennett, up until saturday, was the best player on the ice for the previous four games. Our forwards are all producing offensively, but are sacrificing their defensive tasks.

Racine will probably have most people's vote because of his record. Nothing wrong with that, but I caution, it's more about the guys in front of him that better tighten up. He can only do so much, like he did friday. OTOH, Rutledge has yet to make those types of saves, even if the circumstances aren't entirely all his. That's the biggest difference.

Comment

A couple of notes of special interest:

1. Racine will start Friday and depending on his performance will get the start on Saturday.
                    2. Brennan Serville will not play this weekend due to a "facial concussion" suffered when he stepped up on a Miami forward last week and took a mean shot to the chops.
                    3. Mike Szuma will step in as the 6th d-man again.
                    4. The Michigan Daily is hinting that Jon Merrill may be out longer than was first discussed. He may not see action now until January.

Comment

So now we are down another D man.

Surprising to see them come back to get the tie- based on the hole they dug themselves in the 2nd. Good for the offense.

And Racine gets his chance to expose the bad defensive play... still have no clear #1.

Comment

Good comeback from behind guys. Must have been a nail biter for you.

Comment

One the one hand, Michigan looked terrible for large parts of the weekend, and playing like this for a season is a great way to lose a streak. Barely scraping out a point ("what shootout?" asks the Pairwise) against a dodgy NMU squad is not a good result.

On the other hand, the Friday comeback was the most improbable I can remember since I've been closely following Michigan Hockey. Not just three goals down with 12 minutes to go, but fighting off a 5x3 and a 5-minute major while our best defenseman gets himself DQ'd with a dumb hit. Highway robbery. A point on an otherwise disastrous weekend is a nice piece of window-dressing, right? And we can't panic too much, because Michigan ALWAYS seems to look like this early in the year before putting it together for the stretch run.

One of these years the luck will run out, and the team will look bad all year and get stuck with a hopeless PWR rating guaranteeing no bid.

And then they'll get some kind of bad draw against an arch-rival and go on the road for the playoffs. And then they'll sweep, go to the Joe with a chance to win the conference, and...

Eh. No panic yet.
                          Jesus Saves

Comment

I agree that there's no panic. But certainly some concern.

So many issues on our side of the blue line, it's pretty scary- our goals against stat must be pretty bad- 8 goals this past weekend. Serious problems there, as an entire team.

Comment

I really believe the defensive problems will sort themselves out as the season goes on. Or at least the coaches and team will sort them out. Trouba is, lest we forget, a young freshman who hasn't entirely adapted his game to the college level, and confident puck-mover Jon Merrill is not on the ice. We have seen Michigan's defense improve as seasons progress in the recent past, and I don't see any reason that it won't improve again this year. I think the effect of big ice can be overstated, but the Friday meltdown did happen entirely in PK situations, and the Saturday meltdown happened with three starting defensemen watching from the concourse.

Not that I've actually seen this myself, since I live in Minnesota. I will say, however, that the descriptions of the D-zone breakdowns suggest problems that can be rectified with confidence puck movement, something our favorite New Jersey Devils draft pick specializes in.
                              Jesus Saves

Comment

Did we just turn the corner last night? Granted, we did not look good enough for a National Title but I'm thinking conference championship as long as no other injuries (knock-on-wood) happen and Merrill can come back without losing a step. Michigan looked good tonight, the score could have been 15-1 if not for Yanekeef (sp.?) standing on his head. Why is it that sparty gets the awesome goalies?
                                Originally posted by alfablue
                                Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                                Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                                I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Working...
                                X