Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Wolverines: 2012-2013 Season thread!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Wolverines: 2012-2013 Season thread!!!!!!!

Originally posted by lmg6841 View Post
    Random question (sorry if I'm derailing your discussion). Tiger alumni here- Is there going to be any stream or coverage for either of the two Mich v RIT games?
    The broadcast schedule has been released:

http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-hock...100112aaa.html

Since neither of the RIT games are listed I doubt there will be any video stream. The mgoblue.com website has an audio (radio broadcast) stream and "Gameday" with play-by-play, stats, etc. I have had some problems in the past with the stream. The WTKA.com (official radio station) website has a more reliable stream. Click on the "Listen Live" button and a pop up will start to actually listen.
    Section 3 (formerly 6, before that "F")
    Row 1
    Seats 6 & 7
    Same seats since '93 - at the blue line on the glass

9 NCAA Titles: '48, '51, '52, '53, '55, ''56, '64, '96, '98

Comment

Red and the three Captains on their emerging leadership:

http://mihockeynow.com/2012/10/leade...he-wolverines/
      Row 1
      Seats 6 & 7

Comment

Last night was my first chance to see the new Yost for the first time and it seems to be all it was purported to be. Much brighter on the ice. The metal stands will make for the sound of foot stomping very loud. The sound system also seems much improved, but the buzzer from the timeclock was not working properly.

Also, I heard that the new lights have sliding shades that will allow them to be covered and uncovered quickly, such as for pre-game intros. Now only if we had some spotlights...
        Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

If your actions speak louder than words, you're not yelling loud enough. - Stephen Colbert

You build. You paddle. You stand in awe of what your hands have made. - Pygmy Boats

Comment

I've been sitting in the top row of Section 22 (now Section 10) for 15 years or more. It seems there had been only a couple of games where the announcements were clearly audible. Several years ago on a Friday night, inexplicably, the PA system was as clear as a bell. The following night and ever since, the announcements have been practically unintelligible. Last night was no exception. I challenge whoever is in charge of the audio to experience a game from our seats and then tell us that the PA system works like it's supposed to.

Comment

WITR is streaming audio for all RIT games home and away at witr.rit.edu.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord of the Rinks View Post
              I've been sitting in the top row of Section 22 (now Section 10) for 15 years or more. It seems there had been only a couple of games where the announcements were clearly audible. Several years ago on a Friday night, inexplicably, the PA system was as clear as a bell. The following night and ever since, the announcements have been practically unintelligible. Last night was no exception. I challenge whoever is in charge of the audio to experience a game from our seats and then tell us that the PA system works like it's supposed to.
              Don't feel like the "Lone Ranger". From my seat in row 1 on the blue line (west side, north end) it is unintelligible as well. Fortunately I sit close enough to the announcer to be able to read his lips.
              Row 1
              Seats 6 & 7

Comment

I skipped out on the open house and the blue/white game, so tonight is the first time I'll get back to Yost. I'm very excited for the start of hockey season.

I'm told a new flag was purchased and will be dropped off at my house this afternoon.
                Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                7 B1G
                7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                  I skipped out on the open house and the blue/white game, so tonight is the first time I'll get back to Yost. I'm very excited for the start of hockey season.

I'm told a new flag was purchased and will be dropped off at my house this afternoon.
                  +1.

Well, except for the flag part.

Look foreward to seeing the game. BTW, on Rivals, it'e being reported that goaltending will be Rutledge, Racine, and Janecyk periods tonight.

Comment

Nice to see a real game at Yost last nights.

Team looked ok- took them a period to really find their feet, but based on the line up- Red put a lot of new guys out there to see what they can do. Kinda hard to get a feel from them in one game like this. One of the veterans didn't do himself favors- Kevin Claire- he needs to be a LOT more confident with the puck. It's one thing for a freshman to be weak on passes, figuring out that the speed a higher now. It's another for a player like Claire. Hope he can find something to get the playing time.

We left after the second- my wife isn't 100% right now- so we are trying to just get better- so didn't see anything happening in the 3rd.

As for Yost. Looks good- I like how the windows appear at night- pretty cool.

But I'm not 100%.

While it's nice that the band has a much better spot- angled out to hear you- there is NO PLACE AT ALL to stand under them. We tried, and the ushers all just told us to not be there- everything is a walkway. And where there are no people- we are still not allowed to stand there between periods. So after so many years of going to listen to the band between periods- we can not do that at all anymore. big BOOOO. Sorry to the band that you won't be able to see you fans up close. Bad, bad design.

PA is WAAAAYYY TOOOOO LLLOOOOOOUUUUUUUDDDDDD. Especially for the music as they come onto the ice. It's bordering on painful. I go to rock concerts as well- turn down the volume.

The PA still has that stupid horn. For God's sake, stop it. We have a band.

For some teams, the intro with the lights and piped in music is needed. Yost it is not. Outside of the bleeding nature of the sound, we have a BAND, one of the best pep bands of all of college hockey, and they play a MICHGIAN introduction, as opposed some some sounds that resemble some kind of rock music I can't identify. We missed the entro to the band due to the overplayed music. As for the theatric lights- the fans are already smart enough to be up for the game- what's the point of the theatrics? Are we going to do something similar at Football games sometime soon? This isn't the bad basketball program where the arena didn't fill- this is hockey, where the fans come. Ok, last night they did not- but it was 1)Tuesday, 2) Widnsor, and 3) agains the Tigers. We left early, even.

Theatrics are needed when the fans need some kind of pumping up, generally for programs who suck so much that you need to distract the fans with stuff like that to get them excited. The fans here are better than that, and the program is far better than that. Plus, the band.

Anyway, that's my rant. I will probably shoot a note off to the athletic department about it, too.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                      Nice to see a real game at Yost last nights.

This isn't the bad basketball program where the arena didn't fill- this is hockey, where the fans come. Ok, last night they did not- but it was 1)Tuesday, 2) Widnsor, and 3) agains the Tigers. We left early, even.
                      CORRECTION - it was NOT a "Real game" - it was an exhibition game - meaningless. So you can make that point #4.

I have been at several games over the past three years or so where there were MANY empty seats, especially on the student side across from my seats, mostly on the north end of that side.

I don't consider point #3 valid. The Tigers game didn't start until 9:10. That is USUALLY about the same time the 3rd period starts. So you would miss the first 3 innings to stay for the entire game.
                      Row 1
                      Seats 6 & 7

Comment

Originally posted by JoeZ View Post
                        CORRECTION - it was NOT a "Real game" - it was an exhibition game - meaningless. So you can make that point #4.

I have been at several games over the past three years or so where there were MANY empty seats, especially on the student side across from my seats, mostly on the north end of that side.

I don't consider point #3 valid. The Tigers game didn't start until 9:10. That is USUALLY about the same time the 3rd period starts. So you would miss the first 3 innings to stay for the entire game.
                        The reason I included it was that our usher asked if we were going home to watch the game. I never thought about it, but apparently some did.

Oh, and when I mentioned real- that's not about a actual counting game, that was to see a game at the new Yost for real. Which is why that comment lead off my thread, and was not a part of why people didn't come. We didn't come on Sunday, so that was the first time we saw real hockey with the new stands, new lights, etc. real enough.

If you want to read the very first line well into the post, well, I can't exactly stop you. There was a lot of stuff inbetween, though.

Comment

I should probably wait a few games before I react to the renovation. I tend to not like change, but know I will eventually grow accustomed to it.

My immediate reactions are:
                          I like the windows.
                          I strongly dislike the shiny aluminum bleachers
                          I don't like the missing stands by the boards in the student section. The Red Cross volunteers where there, and it looks like it may also be handicapped accesible seating...but it gave a restricted feeling to section 17. Despite how empty the stands were last night, I felt claustrophobic. We used to have a wider front row, and a wider row about half way up so one could more easily walk through the stands.
                          The suites look nice...empty, but nice.
                          Having the band angled out was a good idea, but as I thought might be the case, the height of a sousaphone was not considered when making those stands. And as alfa pointed out, there's no good place to watch the band for the fans who enjoy doing that.
                          I prefered having the opposing team's parents across the ice for the wrong reason: being able to see what they do and make fun of it. Hopefully there will be no altercations like the one that moved the opposing parents to the other side of the ice years ago.
                          I don't mind the spotlight and hype video, but I want the PA sound off as soon as the team steps on the ice and the band starts playing "M Fanfare". Though in general I think the spotlight and hype video give the game more of a pro feel, and atmosphere is a big reason I am more of a college sports fan. Also, did anyone else feel like we were at the Joe for CCHA finals with the darkened lights and spotlights? Now we just need an "M" shape for the spotlight.
                          The PA is more difficult for me to hear and understand than ever before.
                          The main complaint though is long time season ticket holders that got moved to far worse seats. My unoccupied seats in the North end are the same, but several of my friends have lousy new locations.
                          Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                          wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                          7 B1G
                          7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                          6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                          5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                          5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                          2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                          2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                            The main complaint though is long time season ticket holders that got moved to far worse seats. My unoccupied seats in the North end are the same, but several of my friends have lousy new locations.
                            We ran into KC last night- they had back row assignments. I can't really call them seats, since there is a "fence" that keeps people off hte wall and windows, which also prevents real humans from sitting in the seats, since it over hangs the seat bench just enough. Thankfully, they were moved, but it sounds like a LOT o west siders are not happy with the move. Some will try to re-move, some will wait, and the next few years will have people adjust.

A poster on Rivals put up a picture that his $500pp season tickets have them not seeing one of the goals. Really? A full priced seat where the view is obstructed that much??? This looks like it will take some time to work out.

Oh, and it was really odd to have everyone looking at us during the National Anthem- since the flags were moved from the south end to the north end, right over our heads. My wife mentioned that she didn't do her hair.... I'm sure we will get used to it- but we have to look at the video, since straight up is not a great way to look.
                            Last edited by alfablue; 10-10-2012, 09:43 AM.

Comment

im right next to a bloody plexiglass and i have one row up to getto the steps to go to the concourse
                              96/98 ncaa champsmeechigan wolves stanley cup chanpions the detroit red wings nd the detroit ****tons

Comment

Stopped in Yost for the first time today since May (when everything was tore up). I was extremely impressed. I understand that many of you traditionalists will have a hard time getting used to it but I believe that once the season gets rolling that it will have an even more intimate feel to it. I really like it, granted I will always miss the old wood bleachers but in time everything must change. I wish that I would have made it to last nights game but it completely slipped my mind.

I happened to pop in there today during a practice. It was only a practice but I wasn't impressed, let's hope that I just wasn't paying enough attention. That may be entirely accurate as the entire time I was in awe of what they did to Yost. I also saw Merril in the stands watching the practice in a neck-brace. I had absolutely no idea who that person was when I walked past him. For all I knew he was just some clown in a neck-brace. I didn't even know that he got hurt last night until I got home and checked my email. Low and behold there was a message there about Merril being out for 6 weeks with a neck injury. I then put 2 and 2 together and realized that was Jon Merril.

Oh well...

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new..._six_weeks.php
                                Originally posted by alfablue
                                Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                                Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                                I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Working...
                                X