PDA

View Full Version : Ezac!!!!!!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

UHall6
03-24-2012, 11:18 AM
9 of the 10 teams in Hockey East have made the NCAA by way of at-large bid, all of whom have landed higher than a regional 4 seed, since the last time the ECAC has advanced a team to the Frozen Four

Yea, Hockey East's national legitimacy starts and stops on the coattails of BC and BU. :rolleyes:

And your point is so asinine...

Gee, when you look at recent history, take BC and BU out of Hockey East and it's not as successful...

OK, then while you do that....

Take Union and Yale out of the ECAC
Take Michigan and Miami out of the CCHA
Take North Dakota and Duluth out of the WCHA

And square off again!

Looking over these last 2 or 3 years, I'll take my chances with UNH, Merrimack, Maine and a few of these Lowell teams over whatever the ECAC's 2nd tier has to offer.

Actually I was going to lump Maine in there with BU and BC since they made some Frozen Fours and title games in the last decade, right? But the other HE teams that made the tournament were not nearly as successful nor as consistent so I fail to see how that makes them much different from an ECAC team that makes one or two tournaments and loses in the first or second round. And it may surprise you to know that in the same time frame you selected 9 of the 12 ECAC teams made the tournament at least once. And to reiterate, I'm not saying the ECAC is equal to or better than Hockey East. My point is that the entire league gets lumped together because they haven't won a title whereas nobody questions when a team like Northeastern or Vermont makes one tournament and disappears. They get a pass because BC or BU won a title recently. That makes little sense to me.

carltonbarrett
03-24-2012, 11:33 AM
In the past 20 years, 3 HE teams (ME, BU & BC) have won 7 combined NCAA Titles, and 4 HE teams (the 4th being UNH) have made 18 combined trips to the Title game. During that same stretch, not 1 ECAC team has even made the Title game. At this point, you cannot even compare the success of the 2 conferences. Who knows, maybe this is the year where the ECAC breaks through and becomes a powerhouse, but I wouldn't bet on it.

UHall6
03-24-2012, 11:40 AM
In the past 20 years, 3 HE teams (ME, BU & BC) have won 7 combined NCAA Titles, and 4 HE teams (the 4th being UNH) have made 18 combined trips to the Title game. During that same stretch, not 1 ECAC team has even made the Title game. At this point, you cannot even compare the success of the 2 conferences. Who knows, maybe this is the year where the ECAC breaks through and becomes a powerhouse, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I don't see anyone making the argument that the leagues are close to equal. I think where we differ is you look at those numbers and see one awesome league. I look at them and see a league with three/four really good programs.

carltonbarrett
03-24-2012, 11:56 AM
Do you really expect every team in the league to make regular trips to the finals? Every league obviously has its top teams and its lower teams and in my opinion HE has been pretty darn impressive with BC, BU, ME and UNH being NCAA Tourney - if not FF - regulars. Most other HE teams have also been in the tourney lately, see UML, as well as MC last year, UVM the year before, etc. I actually don't see the lower teams being that bad, it's just that the top teams are always very strong, which makes it difficult for the UML's, UVM's, PC's, UMASS', etc to go on long, multi-year rolls.

Dutchman
03-24-2012, 12:20 PM
Going into the Tournament the ECAC teams were the recipient of score ridicule and verbal abuse by many bloggers. Maybe just a lucky year for them? The ECAC this year was incredibly competitive with teams knocking each other off each week. I think that Union and Cornell really benefited greatly from the competition. When Union beat Michigan earlier in the year everyone just brushed it off. Now that Cornell has done the same, we are getting the same reaction. One the one hand, neither team may advanced today. On the other hand, the ECAC, the league that has received so much scorn, may end up with two in the final 4. Not bad for schools like Union who only has 2000 students, and offers no athletic scholarships vs. the 40,000 like the Michigans. Not bad at all.
http://board.uscho.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Dutchman
03-24-2012, 12:22 PM
Thats ok, they can show the rest of the country what great ECAC hockey is all about

Dutchman
03-24-2012, 12:31 PM
I have seen Cornell play three times this year ... they are loaded with size and talent. They have a great Goalie, second best in the ECAC and they have a habit of rising up to the level of competition. They are going to kick the stuffing out of Ferris whom just squeaked by a badly damage Denver Team, and then they will travel to Tampa to play Union in what will be the best game of the tournament. The CCHA and WHCA teams can watch from home.

blazer777
03-24-2012, 02:17 PM
The real purpose of this thread was to congratulate and encourage Union and Cornell on a job well done. Keep it up!

I know and I was only kidding.

Good luck to those still in it and it's nice to see teams from the less appreciated leagues trip up the favorites.

css228
03-24-2012, 02:20 PM
I have seen Cornell play three times this year ... they are loaded with size and talent. They have a great Goalie, second best in the ECAC and they have a habit of rising up to the level of competition. They are going to kick the stuffing out of Ferris whom just squeaked by a badly damage Denver Team, and then they will travel to Tampa to play Union in what will be the best game of the tournament. The CCHA and WHCA teams can watch from home. I hope you're right, but I'm not going to be cocky about it. We thought we'd have another Frozen Four for sure when we played Bemidji in '09...

Dirty
03-24-2012, 03:24 PM
I've now been told to eat two bags of dicks. Who will suggest three?

Priceless
03-24-2012, 04:58 PM
I've now been told to eat two bags of dicks. Who will suggest three?
I haven't tried them...are bags of dicks good?

Dirty
03-24-2012, 05:00 PM
I haven't tried them...are bags of dicks good?

I'll have to defer this to the EZAC fans as they seem to be experts given their suggestions.

LynahFan
03-24-2012, 05:03 PM
I love 'em. I make sure to get the 5-pound bags from Sam's Club.

Dirty
03-24-2012, 05:07 PM
What's your flavor of choice? Original, BBQ, Sour Cream n' Cheddar, Low Sodium?

LynahFan
03-24-2012, 05:08 PM
Extra creamy.

UHall6
03-24-2012, 07:16 PM
Do you really expect every team in the league to make regular trips to the finals?

No and I don't think I came close to implying this.

Every league obviously has its top teams and its lower teams and in my opinion HE has been pretty darn impressive with BC, BU, ME and UNH being NCAA Tourney - if not FF - regulars. Most other HE teams have also been in the tourney lately, see UML, as well as MC last year, UVM the year before, etc. I actually don't see the lower teams being that bad, it's just that the top teams are always very strong, which makes it difficult for the UML's, UVM's, PC's, UMASS', etc to go on long, multi-year rolls.

I pretty much agree with everything you said here. But I still see this as two different things: a group of elite program, two or three of which are very good in any given year. And the rest who have their ups and downs and few if any Frozen Fours or titles - an awful lot like the ECAC. Don't get me wrong, I think it's great the other teams have had their successes. But you won't see too many ECAC fans wasting their time screaming, "Where's Northeastern/Vermont this year?" and "What happened to Merrimack?" like the WCHA fans did with Yale. And I did see plenty of ripping on Merrimack and Lowell from WCHA fans in the forum and in the blogs comments during the year. Personally, I find it distasteful. If my team was as successful as say, North Dakota, I would take the advice I read earlier: smile politely and cheer for my team. Should I go over to the UND thread and tell them their win today over a four seed was not terribly impressive? I could but I can predict the response.

And I might as well get this out of the way now. If Cornell loses tonight I will be disappointed but hopeful for next year. The team did better than our expectations back in September. I think we only graduate four players. Ferlin will be back from injury. We have a good non-conference slate in the works. But I guess until we get that elusive third title we will just suck. :rolleyes: I'm sure will get mocked for losing to a lesser CCHA program.

LTsatch
03-24-2012, 09:30 PM
Personally I find all this talk about Bags O ***** quite the threadkill, Nice win by Union tonight, they were the class of the region. Lets see what the Big Red do now

vicb
03-24-2012, 10:55 PM
I have seen Cornell play three times this year ... they are loaded with size and talent. They have a great Goalie, second best in the ECAC and they have a habit of rising up to the level of competition. They are going to kick the stuffing out of Ferris whom just squeaked by a badly damage Denver Team, and then they will travel to Tampa to play Union in what will be the best game of the tournament. The CCHA and WHCA teams can watch from home.

Anger the Hockey Gods with woofing and see what happens. Ferris and Union should be a heck of a game.

SanTropez
03-24-2012, 11:16 PM

Hey Dutch Rudder you sure know how to predict game winners, maybe you should go to Vegas.

Hammer
03-24-2012, 11:17 PM

Hi.