Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official 2012 NCAA hockey regionals SYNDICATED games info thread..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Official 2012 NCAA hockey regionals SYNDICATED games info thread..

First time I can recall that this has ever happened...but apparently it's not an error because the Directv customer service rep just stated on twitter that "FSN 668 is a legitimate black out as the game is only avaialble to customers that are in that local area."

I just tweeted back and asked if that were true, why wasnt the Denver game on Altitude blacked out yesterday?

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyMan2000 View Post
      First time I can recall that this has ever happened...but apparently it's not an error because the Directv customer service rep just stated "FSN 668 is a legitimate black out as the game is only avaialble to customers that are in that local area."

I just tweeted back and asked if that were true, why wasnt the Denver game on Altitude blacked out yesterday?
      Altitute isn't an FSN entity? Just making wild azz guess

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyMan2000 View Post
        First time I can recall that this has ever happened...but apparently it's not an error because the Directv customer service rep just stated on twitter that "FSN 668 is a legitimate black out as the game is only avaialble to customers that are in that local area."

Altitude isn't FOX Sports. But why is DTV tweeting that it is available locally only when other multichannel providers are carrying it in other parts of the country, such as FOX College Sports Pacific? DTV is lying again, that's why.

Comment

Anyone on twitter should send a message to --

@DirecTVService
          @fsnorth

and find out what the deal is.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
            Altitude isn't FOX Sports. But why is DTV tweeting that it is available locally only when other multichannel providers are carrying it in other parts of the country, such as FOX College Sports Pacific? DTV is lying again, that's why.
            Well, that's the key..."other carriers." This happened when the company who happens to own Channel 7 in Boston and a station in Miami (Sunshine Network) threatened to black out the Super Bowl because they wanted to extort higher fees from DirecTV. Remember, DirecTV can't ORIGINATE programming - the TV stations have to UPLOAD programming, which costs them money. DirecTV has to PAY these stations for the right to show them on satellite. So probably what is happening here is that whoever is providing this game does not want to go through the expense of uploading this to satellite, so it's only being shown over the air (maybe I'm wrong...I can't think of another reason). The fact that they may be "lying" is irrelevant, because the game's not on...

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
              Well, that's the key..."other carriers." This happened when the company who happens to own Channel 7 in Boston and a station in Miami (Sunshine Network) threatened to black out the Super Bowl because they wanted to extort higher fees from DirecTV. Remember, DirecTV can't ORIGINATE programming - the TV stations have to UPLOAD programming, which costs them money. DirecTV has to PAY these stations for the right to show them on satellite. So probably what is happening here is that whoever is providing this game does not want to go through the expense of uploading this to satellite, so it's only being shown over the air (maybe I'm wrong...I can't think of another reason). The fact that they may be "lying" is irrelevant, because the game's not on...
              Actually, anything you see on any satellite service has to be uploaded to satellite. How else does the signal find its way to your dish? DirecTV is mistaken, because they game IS supposed to be available in other markets. They are absolutely wrong to "tweet" or say otherwise. FOX Sports North is carrying this game and DirecTV carries FOX Sports North. They aren't paying FOX Sports North anything to carry programming. They pay to carry the channel.

Comment

Originally posted by billmich88888 View Post
                Slap shot. Where are u located?
                Minneapolis.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                  Actually, anything you see on any satellite service has to be uploaded to satellite. How else does the signal find its way to your dish? DirecTV is mistaken, because they game IS supposed to be available in other markets. They are absolutely wrong to "tweet" or say otherwise. FOX Sports North is carrying this game and DirecTV carries FOX Sports North. They aren't paying FOX Sports North anything to carry programming. They pay to carry the channel.
                  You're right on target WeAreNDHockey. This has also never happened before when FSN North has carried a syndicated ESPN NCAA game that I can recall. It shouldn't make a difference whether it's NESN, Altitude or FSN, ESPN and the NCAA sell the rights to these games and it's supposed to be a free market -- whoever pays the fee shows it. In the past, nothing has been blacked out regardless of affiliate. The only explanation I could imagine is that ESPN is still trying to "stick it" to FSN affiliates and gave FSN North limited rights or something along those lines, blacking it out outside the Minneapolis market so people have to watch ESPN3 or whatever. But I'm not sure that's really the case, and this isn't a mistake. Either way, I'd like to what the deal is.
                  Last edited by HockeyMan2000; 03-24-2012, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                    Minneapolis.
                    Inside the FSN north footprint

Comment

• Re: Official 2012 NCAA hockey regionals SYNDICATED games info thread..

I'm thinking FSN north encoded the event so that only their footprint customers can get it. How else to explain BOTH DISH and Direct having the same issue?

Comment

Response from FSN
                        @blackbear93 @DirecTVService The NCAA games are blacked out, per ESPN syndication, anywhere outside of the 5-state @fsnorth region.

Comment

Well there you have it. Not sure who to blame, FSN or ESPN, but it sucks.

Love the LAX game now instead of BC-Air Force on ESPNU also....what decade does ESPN finally cough up the rights to this?

Comment

Priceless, explains the problem with direct AND Dish. Thank god for espn3. And for fox college. Part of the reason why I always keep comcast

Comment

I wonder if nesn will also have their area restricted like FSN is

Comment

Hockey man, ESPN is still broadcasting the game, in their view. On espn3

Comment

Working...
                                X