HockeyTown? Ya gotta be kidding me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HockeyTown? Ya gotta be kidding me

You could shoot a cannon thru Joe Louis at tonight's final. What gives? Last night at a suburban sports bar in Detroit not ONE of the 50 flat screens had any hockey. Meanwhile with no Minnesota teams at the WCHA Final in ST. Paul there are 20,000 packed into the Xcel to watch Denver vs. Nodak. Hey Detroit ... Pass the torch!

Re: HockeyTown? Ya gotta be kidding me

Originally posted by nopuckluck View Post
    You could shoot a cannon thru Joe Louis at tonight's final. What gives? Last night at a suburban sports bar in Detroit not ONE of the 50 flat screens had any hockey. Meanwhile with no Minnesota teams at the WCHA Final in ST. Paul there are 20,000 packed into the Xcel to watch Denver vs. Nodak. Hey Detroit ... Pass the torch!
    Watching it on Direct TV here in Omaha. Shameful that two Michigan teams can't get even half the arena filled. Looks like it isn't even half full to me.

Comment

That's PRO hockey! I'm starting to think the BIG 10 should have waited for teams number 7 and 8.
      Originally posted by mtu_huskies
      "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
      Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
      Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
        That's PRO hockey! I'm starting to think the BIG 10 should have waited for teams number 7 and 8.
        Yep HockeyTown ONLY for the Red Wings. What you see is nothing new for college hockey at the Joe though I have seen it filled better then that.

Comment

Joe Louis Arena stopped marketing college hockey about 10 years ago. Now they're just collecting the ticket, parking, and beer money.
          FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
            Joe Louis Arena stopped marketing college hockey about 10 years ago. Now they're just collecting the ticket, parking, and beer money.
            Keep in mind as well it's pretty much the worst-kept secret in the Detroit area that Ilitch will be building a new facility for the Red Wings within the next five years. The land acquisition has been in the works for the last decade (or more), it's not a matter of if, but rather of when. And right in time for the first half decade of the BTHC.

Comment

They announced crowd of just over 10,000 but I don't think there were that many people actually in the building.

Comment

Originally posted by UMBand View Post
                Keep in mind as well it's pretty much the worst-kept secret in the Detroit area that Ilitch will be building a new facility for the Red Wings within the next five years. The land acquisition has been in the works for the last decade (or more), it's not a matter of if, but rather of when. And right in time for the first half decade of the BTHC.
                Ilitch may not even be alive in 5 years (he's gonna be 83 in July), the city's broke and there's not much of an appetite for public financing. We'll see.

God, that was fun...

Comment

So you are both of the belief that is has to do with it being Joe Louis Arena? I believe his land acquisition has been done awhile ago it's the financing, how much he will stick the public for. He has a pretty sweet deal with the city now in regard to many factors, ie parking, snow removal, policing costs etc

Comment

The marketing crew at Olympia entertainment has shown no interest in doing anything other than collect money when it comes to college hockey, and it's been that way for about a decade.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                      The marketing crew at Olympia entertainment has shown no interest in doing anything other than collect money when it comes to college hockey, and it's been that way for about a decade.
                      But wouldn't a smidgen of marketing increase said return?

Comment

Tell that to them.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                          So you are both of the belief that is has to do with it being Joe Louis Arena? I believe his land acquisition has been done awhile ago it's the financing, how much he will stick the public for. He has a pretty sweet deal with the city now in regard to many factors, ie parking, snow removal, policing costs etc
                          The last few pieces were put in place in the last couple of years. A new arena goes up in Foxtown, he's got the parking, policing, snow removal, etc. deals already in place. And a bright, shiny new building that has people's attention. The point is that they're going to want to do anything to get major events in a new arena, and will actually market this thing beyond a few crappy TV commercials and a table with flyers in a few conference rinks.

The BTHC will be an entirely different situation, from marketing to exposure to draw, with different geographic and fanbase realities than the CCHA. Toss in a new Wings arena ~2016-7, you've got the makings of a really great event that will sell a lot of tickets.

But, hey, Minnesota is God's gift to hockey, so why even bother?

Comment

Anastos' head was up his *** for so long "running" this league that he didn't help either. The efforts in marketing teams that don't begin with the word "Michigan" even in this lame duck year was a vast improvement over whatever the hell he was doing while piloting the ship into an iceberg.

Of course, that work got him into a lifeboat from one of those Michigan schools, so he's got his.
                            "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

The last few pieces were put in place in the last couple of years. A new arena goes up in Foxtown, he's got the parking, policing, snow removal, etc. deals already in place. And a bright, shiny new building that has people's attention. The point is that they're going to want to do anything to get major events in a new arena, and will actually market this thing beyond a few crappy TV commercials and a table with flyers in a few conference rinks.

The BTHC will be an entirely different situation, from marketing to exposure to draw, with different geographic and fanbase realities than the CCHA. Toss in a new Wings arena ~2016-7, you've got the makings of a really great event that will sell a lot of tickets.

But, hey, Minnesota is God's gift to hockey, so why even bother?
                              All people are saying is that IF the tourney draws the way the CCHA tourney has been drawing, it won't be held in Detroit often.

That isn't elitist talk, it's reality.
                              @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                              On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                              High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Working...
                              X