X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All Things Denver XXXIII

Originally posted by du78 View Post
    Great list but Murray Armstrong, Keith Magnuson, Bill Masterton and Matt Carle are my 4. BTW, Peter McNab is Canadian. He was born in Vancouver and spent his youth in BC. He went to HS in San Diego when his father ran the S.D. Gulls.
    No Kevin Dineen?

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
      DU's Mount Rushmore up on the polls section.
      I already voted so I can't vote for other. but I did have a few more thoughts.

Craig Patrick-2 time NCAA Champion, 2 time USA National team, Asst. Coach 1980 Miracle on Ice team. Stanley Cup winning GM. Part of hockey's royal family. Hockey Hall of Fame.
      Jim Wiste-All American, NCAA Champion, AND owner of the Campus Lounge
      Cliff Koroll-Team Captain, NCAA Champion, Successful NHL career with Chicago Blackhawks and by all reports one of Maggie's best friends.
      Adam Berkhoel- backstopped DU to 1st Ncaa Championship in 35 years including the infamous last 2 minutes of 3 on 6.
      Peter Mannino-NCAA Champion, 4 year goalie and ardent supporter of Denver Boone.
      Jesse Martin-whose amazing recovery from a potentially fatal injury brought the DU/NCAA hockey community proud of an amazing young man. And remember he went on to graduate that same year.
      Peter McNab- who was one of DU's first non-Canadian stars.
      Wade "Dubie" Dubielwiscz-who should have won a NCAA Championship/ #1 seed forced to play at Yost
      Connor James-who came back from a broken leg to play/win an NCAA Championship in 6 weeks.
      Rhett Rakhshani-Team Captain, All American, who single handedly beat ST. Cloud State by scoring 3 goals in the last 6 minutes of the game--a "Rhett trick" is now part of the DU hockey vernacular. Linemate Tyler Ruegsegger, RnR, made one of the most unpronouncable twosomes in WCHA history. But wasn't it fun to listen to the announcers attempting it.
      Glenn Anderson
      -best known after DU--Team Canada, multiple Stanley Cups, Hockey Hall of Fame
      The 1978 team which was obviously SCREWED by the NCAA
      Not much to argue here...however:

Connor James was a fine player who contributed a nice, blind, throw-it-towards-the-net assist in a championship game in the first period, yet he fails in overall comparison to a Dallas Gaume, who was a first team AA, first team WCHA, WCHA player of the year, Hobey finalist and (by far) DU's all-time leading scorer. Some may argue that Gaume didn't win an NCAA championship; I don't view players' careers in what their teammates did not help them accomplish, I view it like being voted into, say, the baseball hall of fame, where it is a totality of your career and not a single accomplishment...

I also agree with bagman...Kevin Dineen is worthy of being in the mix...captain at DU as a sophomore, captained two NHL teams, an Olympian and is an NHL head coach...multiple NHL all-star games, approached 400 goals and most likely played more NHL games than anyone else from DU.

Comment

DU's Mount Rushmore up on the polls section.
        I already voted so I can't vote for other. but I did have a few more thoughts.

Craig Patrick-2 time NCAA Champion, 2 time USA National team, Asst. Coach 1980 Miracle on Ice team. Stanley Cup winning GM. Part of hockey's royal family. Hockey Hall of Fame.
        Jim Wiste-All American, NCAA Champion, AND owner of the Campus Lounge
        Cliff Koroll-Team Captain, NCAA Champion, Successful NHL career with Chicago Blackhawks and by all reports one of Maggie's best friends.
        Adam Berkhoel- backstopped DU to 1st Ncaa Championship in 35 years including the infamous last 2 minutes of 3 on 6.
        Peter Mannino-NCAA Champion, 4 year goalie and ardent supporter of Denver Boone.
        Jesse Martin-whose amazing recovery from a potentially fatal injury brought the DU/NCAA hockey community proud of an amazing young man. And remember he went on to graduate that same year.
        Peter McNab- who was one of DU's first non-Canadian stars.
        Wade "Dubie" Dubielwiscz-who should have won a NCAA Championship/ #1 seed forced to play at Yost
        Connor James-who came back from a broken leg to play/win an NCAA Championship in 6 weeks.
        Rhett Rakhshani-Team Captain, All American, who single handedly beat ST. Cloud State by scoring 3 goals in the last 6 minutes of the game--a "Rhett trick" is now part of the DU hockey vernacular. Linemate Tyler Ruegsegger, RnR, made one of the most unpronouncable twosomes in WCHA history. But wasn't it fun to listen to the announcers attempting it.
        Glenn Anderson
        -best known after DU--Team Canada, multiple Stanley Cups, Hockey Hall of Fame
        The 1978 team which was obviously SCREWED by the NCAA

You can't omit Dubie's cameo in the 2005 film She's Out of Your League. May tip the scales. Just sayin'

Comment

Not sports related but came across this in the Denver Post. Pagliacci's, the famed Italian restaurant, is closing after 66 years. One of my favorite restaurants when I lived in Denver.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_21...after-66-years
          DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
            Not sports related but came across this in the Denver Post. Pagliacci's, the famed Italian restaurant, is closing after 66 years. One of my favorite restaurants when I lived in Denver.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_21...after-66-years
            North Denver and Italian food--many yummy memories.

And canolis for dessert!
            GO DU !!!

Comment

North Denver and Italian food--many yummy memories.

And canolis for dessert!
              D*mn! Nobody told me about this place or I would have gone. In my DU days, we had lots of steaks at Mr. G's (usually on Mondays before chapter meetings), roast prime rib in the back room at Andy's Smorgasbord and the occasional high dollar meal at Trader Vic's.

I also miss the coffee shop at Writer's Manor, the only place I've ever encountered that had fried corn meal mush on the menu. With butter and maple syrup, yum.
              Last edited by Old Pio; 07-18-2012, 04:30 AM.
              2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                D*mn! Nobody told me about this place or I would have gone. In my DU days, we had lots of steaks at Mr. G's (usually on Mondays before chapter meetings), roast prime rib in the back room at Andy's Smorgasbord and the occasional high dollar meal at Trader Vic's.

I also miss the coffee shop at Writer's Manor, the only place I've ever encountered that had fried corn meal mush on the menu. With butter and maple syrup, yum.
                Mr. G's. Trader Vic's, Writer's Manor (Excluding the gourmet fried corn meal mush) are all in my book of memories.

Learned more about North Denver after I graduated and was working in Denver. Seems one of my co-workers was quite friendly with some members of one of the North Denver "families." As I recall the loan officers had to overlook long periods of unemployment.
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denver_crime_family
                Last edited by vizoroo; 07-18-2012, 04:48 PM.
                GO DU !!!

Comment

Mr. G's. Trader Vic's, Writer's Manor (Excluding the gourmet fried corn meal mush) are all in my book of memories.

Learned more about North Denver after I graduated and was working in Denver. Seems one of my co-workers was quite friendly with some members of one of the North Denver "families." As I recall the loan officers had to overlook long periods of unemployment.
                  It's nice to have "friends." Fried mush was my mother's "snowy morning" special treat. Crunchy on the outside. Moist on the inside. In the past I've seen prepackaged mush in some grocery stores, ready to be sliced and fried. But not lately.

A fraternity brother whose dad was a cattleman introduced me to this place. Very little ambiance. But the joint was full of cattlemen who were in town for the National Western. Best steak I ever had.

http://www.restaurant.com/emil-lenes...rant-pid=35709
                  Last edited by Old Pio; 07-18-2012, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by s11r9seat8
                    While i was checking to see if the word gullible is really in the dictionary, i went out to IMDB and found a movie called "Sheezh Outta My League" from 2010. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0815236/
                    Is that the one? IMDB lists some "hockey players", but not Dubbie.

And i still have Gwoz on my list...
                    Thats' the film, sorry I had the wrong year. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0815236/

He may not be credited but he's in there, not pulling your leg.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                      It's nice to have "friends." Fried mush was my mother's "snowy morning" special treat. Crunchy on the outside. Moist on the inside. In the past I've seen prepackaged mush in some grocery stores, ready to be sliced and fried. But not lately.

A fraternity brother whose dad was a cattleman introduced me to this place. Very little ambiance. But the joint was full of cattlemen who were in town for the National Western. Best steak I ever had.

http://www.restaurant.com/emil-lenes...rant-pid=35709
                      Good Lord, has it really come to this?? Will we ever see DU play again? This is the longest off season I can remember.

I'm struggling here!!
                      "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
                      Tom Serratore

Comment

Wrong restaurant. The wiki even references Gaetano's rather than Pagliacci's.

Comment

And Gaetano's is currently closed as well..."for renovations"...Hopefully that place isn't done.

EDIT: I guess it is supposed to be back sometime in September.
                          Last edited by Chris; 07-19-2012, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
                            Good Lord, has it really come to this?? Will we ever see DU play again? This is the longest off season I can remember.

I'm struggling here!!
                            Well, at least we're not talking about Rockybilt, which I always thought was a WMD.

Comment

These days Cafe Jordano in Lakewood is a pretty respectable spot for Italian.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                                And Gaetano's is currently closed as well..."for renovations"...Hopefully that place isn't done.

EDIT: I guess it is supposed to be back sometime in September.
                                Governor Hickenlooper takes over mob spot.

http://www.3400tejonstreet.com/2012/...-gaetanos.html

Comment

Working...
                                X