PDA

View Full Version : All Things Denver XXXIII

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

vizoroo
09-06-2012, 02:10 PM
Top Recruiting classes for this year. We didn't make the top 10, but...
Under Consideration
Denver

Five Freshman Notables: Dakota Mermis (D), Quentin Shore (F), Nolan Zajac (D), Gabe Levin (F), Grant Arnold (F)
The Skinny: A very strong class that should see most, if not all, stay for four seasons
(Garrett Allen is our other recruit this year)

Early look at next year's recruiting classes:

#5 Denver
Five Freshman Notables: Will Butcher (D), Trevor Moore (F), Connor Chatham (F), Landon Smith (F), Ray Pigozzi (F)
The Skinny: Will Butcher is the National Team Development Program’s best defensemen this season and could very easily be a first round pick at June’s NHL Draft. All five should have a large impact for their respective USHL team this season.

http://thehockeyguys.net/the-2012-top-10-incoming-classes-in-college-hockey/

Defensemen Will Butcher and Greg Ausmus(2014) start their 2nd year at the USNTDP.

DU recruit Jared Fiegel, Parker, CO, is on the USNTDP U-17 Team.

USNTDP
Butcher 5'10" 200
Ausmus 6'1" 204
Fiegl 6'0" 199

du78
09-06-2012, 03:30 PM
Chevy just signed with the Binghamton Senators of the AHL.

http://www.binghamtonsenators.com/news/?article_id=1399

Anthony Maiani just signed with the Allen Americans of the CHL.

http://www.centralhockeyleague.com/pressroom/news/?article_id=8581

vizoroo
09-07-2012, 11:31 AM
September 7, 2012

29 Days until DU's next game

10/06/12 exhibition at Pepsi Center

du78
09-07-2012, 01:52 PM
Rhett Rahkshani and UND's Jack Connolly are the leading scorers in the European Trophy tourney now taking place.

http://www.europeantrophy.com/stats2012.php

vizoroo
09-07-2012, 04:37 PM
"Deep in the Heart of Texas, the stars shine bright..."

Drew Shore in San Antonio
Jason Zucker in Houston
John Ryder in Austin
Now Anthony Maiani in Allen,which is in the Dallas area
( DU alum Erik Allen played here the past 3 years.)

Sorry Drew and Jason, the NHL lockout will make the AHL your home for now

Old Pio
09-07-2012, 05:59 PM
"Deep in the Heart of Texas, the stars shine bright..."

Drew Shore in San Antonio
Jason Zucker in Houston
John Ryder in Austin
Now Anthony Maiani in Allen,which is in the Dallas area
( DU alum Erik Allen played here the past 3 years.)

Sorry Drew and Jason, the NHL lockout will make the AHL your home for now

Jason's gonna have some serious adjustments to make: both weather and traffic like Bangkok.

32 Degrees!
09-07-2012, 06:55 PM
Here's something new for y'all....I was just informed, by a certain WCHA Linesman who I happen to know... that the NCAA is going to a no goal judge system this year, just like the NHL does. This allows the schools to put 2 or 3 seats back there and sell them.... behind the goalies. It also puts all the trust, and blame, on the video review..... which DU has had difficulty with in the past. All the goal judge does is turn on the red light in the arena for the fans; remember all the stink a couple years ago at the buzzer, when UW was here? Holy crap what a PR nightmare. The on-ice referees run that **** from zero to 60, just like in the AHL. When the zebra points... a goal scored. What part of that don't people understand?

Chris
09-07-2012, 07:05 PM
Here's something new for y'all....I was just informed, by a certain WCHA Linesman who I happen to know... that the NCAA is going to a no goal judge system this year, just like the NHL does. This allows the schools to put 2 or 3 seats back there and sell them.... behind the goalies. It also puts all the trust, and blame, on the video review..... which DU has had difficulty with in the past. All the goal judge does is turn on the red light in the arena for the fans; remember all the stink a couple years ago at the buzzer, when UW was here? Holy crap what a PR nightmare. The on-ice referees run that **** from zero to 60, just like in the AHL. When the zebra points... a goal scored. What part of that don't people understand?

I believe it is optional to have an actual goal judge starting this year and, yes, DU will not be having them. Apparently, the "goal judges" will sit in the press box with buttons to turn on the lights from now on. DU had many issues with the replay system last year, so we'll see how this one turns out in the long run...

Old Pio
09-08-2012, 04:30 AM
I believe it is optional to have an actual goal judge starting this year and, yes, DU will not be having them. Apparently, the "goal judges" will sit in the press box with buttons to turn on the lights from now on. DU had many issues with the replay system last year, so we'll see how this one turns out in the long run...

We're screwed. ;)

vizoroo
09-08-2012, 11:04 AM
September 8, 2012

28 Days until DU's next game

vizoroo
09-08-2012, 11:14 AM
Originally Posted by 32 Degrees!

All the goal judge does is turn on the red light in the arena for the fans;...

Pavlovian response by the fans red light means goal--stand and cheer

vizoroo
09-08-2012, 11:30 AM
Jason's gonna have to adjust to weather and traffic like Bangkok.
It's not the heat; it's the humidity that gets you.
100-105 degrees 10% humidity feels like 94.8-99.6 (Vegas weather)
95-100 degrees 80-90% humidity feels like 133.9-146.6 (Houston weather)

(Of course this came from a Vegas tourism site ;))

Old Pio
09-08-2012, 01:43 PM
It's not the heat; it's the humidity that gets you.
100-105 degrees 10% humidity feels like 94.8-99.6 (Vegas weather)
95-100 degrees 80-90% humidity feels like 133.9-146.6 (Houston weather)

(Of course this came from a Vegas tourism site ;))

In Houston, you'll commonly hear people say: "We've got two seasons, summer and July and August." For about three months, before the sun comes up, the relative humidity is at 100% (sometimes a little less). No rain. Just air that's totally saturated. 'Course, when the sun does come up, the humidity plummets to around 85%. Women, especially, love it. Get all dressed up. Hair just perfect. But in the walk to the car, with the AC already running, their hair winds up looking like an ad for "friz city."

I spent over a decade in Houston. And the rule of thumb I applied for travel time was 1 hour. It'll take 1 hour to get where I'm going. I have seen the worst, scariest traffic shiza of my life in Houston. I came within about two seconds of being killed one morning on the way to the station. As I overtook and passed a tractor-trailor rig on a nearly deserted freeway, his spare tire slid out from under the rig and bounced on the highway. I doubt I would have survived slamming in to a big tire, bouncing at windshield height, on a rim, at highway speeds. Just plain luck I had changed lanes to pull around him.

There was an infamous accident involving a cement truck that wound up killing several people. Based on the time he had clocked out of his yard, the investigation revealed the guy had to have been going 80 to get to the accident location when he did. In town! Any listing of congested American cities always has Houston right up there with LA, NY and Chicago.

vizoroo
09-09-2012, 10:07 AM
September 9, 2012

27 Days until DU's next game

#27 is Freshman Forward Quentin Shore

vizoroo
09-09-2012, 10:38 PM
Classes start tomorrow at DU, but most of the hockey team has been here for 2 or 3 weeks. Captain's practice? Can they work with strength and conditioning coach prior to formal practices? Do I remember correctly that the first formal practice was the day of the exhibition game last year due to some convoluted NCAA reg?

Another interesting tidbit... UW has a Captain and 3 alternates, the same as DU.

According to Paul Capobianco of the UW athletic communications office, the Western Collegiate Hockey Association currently mandates that only three players are allowed to wear "C'' or "A'' letters on their sweaters for each game. As such, one(Alternate) will wear the "A'' at home and the other will wear it on the road (And I add: The third is an "A" all the time??):rolleyes:
I don't know whether this is a new rule, but if not what has DU done in the past and if so I wonder how Gwoz will alternate the Crimson "A" .

http://host.madison.com/sports/blog/badgers-hockey

Dmann
09-10-2012, 07:15 AM
Classes start tomorrow at DU, but most of the hockey team has been here for 2 or 3 weeks. Captain's practice? Can they work with strength and conditioning coach prior to formal practices? Do I remember correctly that the first formal practice was the day of the exhibition game last year due to some convoluted NCAA reg?

Another interesting tidbit... UW has a Captain and 3 alternates, the same as DU.
:rolleyes:
I don't know whether this is a new rule, but if not what has DU done in the past and if so I wonder how Gwoz will alternate the Crimson "A" .

http://host.madison.com/sports/blog/badgers-hockey

Remind me who the captains are again?

vizoroo
09-10-2012, 12:00 PM
Remind me who the captains are again?
Paul Phillips is the Captain. Shawn Ostrow, Chris Knowlton and Nick Shore will wear the "A".

vizoroo
09-10-2012, 12:03 PM
September 10, 2012

26 Days until DU's next game

#26 is Alternate Captain Shawn Ostrow, Senior Forwad

vizoroo
09-11-2012, 10:03 AM
September 11, 2012

25 Days until DU's next game

#25 is Matt Tabrum, Sophomore Forwad

du78
09-11-2012, 07:11 PM
DU on NBC Sports Network 3 times this season, all from Magness.

Nov. 30 #1 Boston College at #11 Boston University 7:30 p.m.
Wisconsin at #8 Denver 10 p.m. (Big time doubleheader)

Jan. 11 #3 Union at Princeton 7:30 p.m.
Nebraska-Omaha at Denver 10 p.m. (Another twin bill)

Feb. 22 Yale at Quinnipiac 7:30 p.m.
#6 North Dakota at #8 Denver 10 p.m. (Last twin bill)

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/11/heres-your-nbcsn-college-hockey-schedule/