X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All Things Denver XXXIII

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
    Reporting that DU will play in the Great Lakes Invitational in December 2013
    http://www.uscho.com/2012/06/18/grea...ee-more-years/

BTW Fighting Siuox 23 is running a poll to see who would be the 4 DU hickey figures we would put on "Mt. Rushmore"

I nominated:
    Murray Armstrong
    Keith Magnuson
    Matt Carle
    Bill Masteton
    Make your nominations here:
    http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...Mount-Rushmore
    I saw your entry, and really pondered a way to squeeze Ron Grahame in there, thinking about the service he has given as an administrator for all these years, on top of being a pretty solid goalie once upon a time. But it was pretty hard for me to think of dislodging any of the four you named. Making a list of four without Murray Armstrong would clearly be preposterous. Maggie almost the same. It would have to be in place of Masterton, who I think was our first back-to-back All American or Carle, our only Hobey Baker winner. In the end, I left well-enough alone. I figured those who have seen more seasons of Pioneer hockey than I have can make that call.

Comment

Originally posted by s11r9seat8
      Gotta include Gwoz in the list.
      We liked the article on Don Adam too - it is always fun to see if he comes out with his "happy" cop face on for games.
      I think I would put Gwoz on the "wait list" at #5, behind the 4 that Vizoroo mentions. You could make a good argument for Gwoz appearing in the top 4, instead of Masterton, or possibly Carle. But if you can only choose four, it seems right to have 1 coach and 3 players. When Gwoz wins his 3rd title at DU, I will reconsider.

Comment

Viz's four nominees are the DU equivalent of Mount Rushmore. They are immortal and clearly come ahead of any of the other worthy contenders. They are in a class by themselves.
        2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Pablo View Post
          I think I would put Gwoz on the "wait list" at #5, behind the 4 that Vizoroo mentions. You could make a good argument for Gwoz appearing in the top 4, instead of Masterton, or possibly Carle. But if you can only choose four, it seems right to have 1 coach and 3 players. When Gwoz wins his 3rd title at DU, I will reconsider.
          Never saw Masterton play ( I'm not that old And neither is old Pio). He was a 2 time All American/NCAA champion. All around good guy and succesful in whatever he did. He may be remembered more for the NHL's Masterton Trophy. But if Gwoz would win that 3rd Championship might have to reconsider.
          Maggie, Masterton and Matt Carle are all 2 time All Americans/NCAA Champions. Matty has the Hobey Baker on his resume which wasn't available to either Maggie or Masterton.

Add: Just looked up DU All Americans, the 1961 team must have been unbelievable:
          1961 DU All Americans
          Bill Masterton-F, Marty Howe-D, Jerry Walker-F, Grant Munro-D, George Kirkwood-G.
          George Konik-D who was an All American in '60 was also on the '61 team.
          1963 All American Billy Staub was probably a freshman, practicing with these guys.

Opponents must have just said OMG! When did the gophs decide they didn't want to play us???
          Last edited by vizoroo; 06-19-2012, 09:49 PM.
          GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
            Never saw Masterton play ( I'm not that old And neither is old Pio). He was a 2 time All American/NCAA champion. All around good guy and succesful in whatever he did. He may be remembered more for the NHL's Masterton Trophy. But if Gwoz would win that 3rd Championship might have to reconsider.
            Maggie, Masterton and Matt Carle are all 2 time All Americans/NCAA Champions. Matty has the Hobey Baker on his resume which wasn't available to either Maggie or Masterton.

Add: Just looked up DU All Americans, the 1961 team must have been unbelievable:
            1961 DU All Americans
            Bill Masterton-F, Marty Howe-D, Jerry Walker-F, Grant Munro-D, George Kirkwood-G.
            George Konik-D who was an All American in '60 was also on the '61 team.
            1963 All American Billy Staub was probably a freshman, practicing with these guys.

Opponents must have just said OMG! When did the gophs decide they didn't want to play us???
            When you average more than 7 goals a game, that means you've got some pretty impressive players. The indisputable fact is that by "taking a stand on principle," the Gohpers saved themselves numerous horrific beatings and cost DU more than one league title. Masterton wasn't just a dumb canuck. And his dying, on the ice, is a sad inevitable part of his legacy. Murray was crushed. Like he'd lost a son. Bill deserves to be on that list, period. Maggie was the dominant player of his era. And would surely have won at least one Hobey, maybe two. He was coverboy on the '68 NC program. Then being a key factor in Chicago going from last to first and the SI cover just cemented his reputation. And was a huge step forward in the acceptance of college players in the NHL.

A third NC and Gwoz would almost certainly get serious consideration for the list. Who says it has to be four? For me, it would be very difficult to remove Bill or anyone else from the "fab four," to make room for Gwoz. On the other hand, four or five NC's and it becomes inevitable.
            Last edited by Old Pio; 06-20-2012, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by duper View Post
              I saw your entry, and really pondered a way to squeeze Ron Grahame in there, thinking about the service he has given as an administrator for all these years, on top of being a pretty solid goalie once upon a time. But it was pretty hard for me to think of dislodging any of the four you named. Making a list of four without Murray Armstrong would clearly be preposterous. Maggie almost the same. It would have to be in place of Masterton, who I think was our first back-to-back All American or Carle, our only Hobey Baker winner. In the end, I left well-enough alone. I figured those who have seen more seasons of Pioneer hockey than I have can make that call.
              Ron Grahame is interesting. I'm too young to have seen him play, however I have heard that he was a pretty average goalie when he first showed up on campus, yet became an outstanding goalie by improving yearly...he does hold (or is near the top in) many DU goaltending stat categories. Plus, he has been an assistant coach, associate coach and assistant AD for many years which is a plus. He is also an extremely nice guy, which doesn't hurt in my book.

I think there three completely obvious ones in Murray Armstrong, Maggie and Bill Masterton. However, the fourth spot is definitely wide open...Gwoz? Carle?

I can't believe no one has at least mentioned Dallas Gaume. He was, I believe, our second ever Hobey nominee (after Eddie Beers) and no one will ever touch his 266 career points nor his 99 points in '86. I still can't understand why he didn't win the Hobey his senior year (he lost to one of the Fusco's [Scott?], from Harvard I do believe), though back then the Hobey had a tendency to be alternated between East and West, and a western guy had won the year before (if my memory is correct).

Even one that normally wouldn't even be considered: Dan Ritchie? I mean, the former chancellor is really the only reason that we have a new (newish, now) arena which is one of the biggest reasons our recruiting went up a few notches years back. He instilled an attitude of winning back into the program which is undeniable. I mean, he fired Frank Serratore with a year left on his contract because one of Frank's requirements was to improve the win total each and every season, which Frank went from 6, to 9, to 19, but back to 15 wins in his fourth season. Just a thought. Not many people have left as big a positive mark on the program as Dan Ritchie did. Plus, I heard from Jimbo, that Ritchie told my dad that after the travesty that was the '03 season, he called Gwoz into his office to fire him yet gave him "one more season"...that season was '04...

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                Ron Grahame is interesting. I'm too young to have seen him play, however I have heard that he was a pretty average goalie when he first showed up on campus, yet became an outstanding goalie by improving yearly...he does hold (or is near the top in) many DU goaltending stat categories. Plus, he has been an assistant coach, associate coach and assistant AD for many years which is a plus. He is also an extremely nice guy, which doesn't hurt in my book.

I think there three completely obvious ones in Murray Armstrong, Maggie and Bill Masterton. However, the fourth spot is definitely wide open...Gwoz? Carle?

I can't believe no one has at least mentioned Dallas Gaume. He was, I believe, our second ever Hobey nominee (after Eddie Beers) and no one will ever touch his 266 career points nor his 99 points in '86. I still can't understand why he didn't win the Hobey his senior year (he lost to one of the Fusco's [Scott?], from Harvard I do believe), though back then the Hobey had a tendency to be alternated between East and West, and a western guy had won the year before (if my memory is correct).

Even one that normally wouldn't even be considered: Dan Ritchie? I mean, the former chancellor is really the only reason that we have a new (newish, now) arena which is one of the biggest reasons our recruiting went up a few notches years back. He instilled an attitude of winning back into the program which is undeniable. I mean, he fired Frank Serratore with a year left on his contract because one of Frank's requirements was to improve the win total each and every season, which Frank went from 6, to 9, to 19, but back to 15 wins in his fourth season. Just a thought. Not many people have left as big a positive mark on the program as Dan Ritchie did. Plus, I heard from Jimbo, that Ritchie told my dad that after the travesty that was the '03 season, he called Gwoz into his office to fire him yet gave him "one more season"...that season was '04...
                I hadn't heard that about Gwoz. But if Jimbo said it, it's certainly true. As I have mentioned in the context of honoring our immortals (of which there are 3: Murray, Maggie and Masterton) with some mention in Magness, Carle's status is pending. Ten or 15 years from now, he'll automatically be mentioned in the same breath with the other three. Same with Gwoz. When you talk about all time greats, you need a little distance, to appreciate what they've accomplished. It will certainly happen with Carle. And equally certainly with Gwoz. Just not now.

We really need to honor those three, with the strong probability that we'll eventually honor Carle. Bronze busts, oil paintings, something really memorable and appropriately expensive. Ronnie has been a credit to DU from day 1, and a class act always, but IMHO, he's just not there with the other 3 (or 4). Multiple NC's would have changed my mind. As to Ritchie, that's interesting. But his name is on the building. And, petty though it may be, I can't ever quite get past his arrogantly thinking he was the guy to deep six "D-Rah."

I never saw Gaume play, but the record speaks for itself.
                Last edited by Old Pio; 06-21-2012, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                  I hadn't heard that about Gwoz. But if Jimbo said, it's certainly true. As I have mentioned in the context of honoring our immortals (of which there are 3: Murray, Maggie and Masterton) with some mention in Magness, Carle's status is pending. Ten or 15 years from now, he'll automatically be mentioned in the same breath with the other three. Same with Gwoz. When you talk about all time greats, you need a little distance, to appreciate what they've accomplished. It will certainly happen with Carle. And equally certainly with Gwoz. Just not now.

We really need to honor those three, with the strong probability that we'll eventually honor Carle. Bronze busts, oil paintings, something really memorable and appropriately expensive. Ronnie has been a credit to DU from day 1, and a class act always, but IMHO, he's just not there with the other 3 (or 4). Multiple NC's would have changed my mind. As to Ritchie, that's interesting. But his name is on the building. And, petty though it may be, I can't ever quite get past his arrogantly thinking he was the guy to deep six "D-Rah."

I never saw Gaume play, but the record speaks for itself.
                  Dallas Gaume was like our "poor man's" Gretzky...the dude just set people up for sooooo many goals that it was almost indescribable. He had 188 assists in his career...the number two scorers in our history (I believe Dwight Mathiassen and Johnny Mac) had 198 total points. Gaume's deficiency in his game was that he wasn't a very good skater (nor was he big), which are the reasons we had him for 4 seaons and the major reason he never made it in the NHL. He actually had an inclination to join the Pio coaching staff about 11 or 12 years back and reached out to my dad, who talked it over with Gwoz but George decided that he needed someone with a goaltending background (understandable) and declined and I believe that was when Seth Appert was hired...I believe Gaume ended up being a long-time assistant for Red Deer in the WHL after being turned down here.

Comment

Originally posted by ronmexico View Post
                    I guess it's time to bust out the hookers and blow.
                    *****http://i816.***********.com/albums/zz81/frnullandvoid/Trolldetector.jpg******

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                      Dallas Gaume was like our "poor man's" Gretzky...the dude just set people up for sooooo many goals that it was almost indescribable. He had 188 assists in his career...the number two scorers in our history (I believe Dwight Mathiassen and Johnny Mac) had 198 total points. Gaume's deficiency in his game was that he wasn't a very good skater (nor was he big), which are the reasons we had him for 4 seaons and the major reason he never made it in the NHL. He actually had an inclination to join the Pio coaching staff about 11 or 12 years back and reached out to my dad, who talked it over with Gwoz but George decided that he needed someone with a goaltending background (understandable) and declined and I believe that was when Seth Appert was hired...I believe Gaume ended up being a long-time assistant for Red Deer in the WHL after being turned down here.
                      I'd imagine the only thing tougher than saying "no" to a DU legend who wants to be an assistant coach would be saying "no" to a DU legend you recruited. No surprise that Jimbo was the intermediary in those delicate discussions. Everybody saves face.
                      Last edited by Old Pio; 06-22-2012, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Dakota Mermis and Quentin Shore with some good press here.
                        http://www.collegehockeyprospective....dakota-mermis/
                        http://www.collegehockeyprospective....quentin-shore/
                        GO DU !!!

Comment

Joey LaLeggia picked in the 5th round, #123, by Edmonton. No calls for Loney, D. Mermis or Q. Shore.
                          GO DU !!!

Comment

I'm heading out to Denver to have Thanksgiving with my Sister and catch UNH @ DU. Looking forward to it!

Comment

Originally posted by GoUNH View Post
                              I'm heading out to Denver to have Thanksgiving with my Sister and catch UNH @ DU. Looking forward to it!
                              Have a great trip. Try to find the time to take a walk around campus. DU has invested half a billion or more in the last decade, and it shows.
                              Last edited by Old Pio; 06-23-2012, 09:04 PM.

Comment

An NHL transaction from earlier this week.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Team Player Pos Transaction
                                New York Islanders Rhett Rakhshani RW Signed With European Team HV71-SEL (Sweden)

And for those fans fluent in speaking and/or reading Swedish... http://www.hv71.se/
                                sigpic Eight. ....with a design on nine.

Comment

Working...
                                X