PDA

View Full Version : All Things Denver XXXIII

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

Chris
06-14-2012, 12:53 AM
My thoughts on the upcoming season and so forth:

The goaltending is just fine. I mean, Big Sam is as quality as anything we have had basically ever in my time (which is 30ish years) and Olki is like striking gold on an almost blind dig, plus Murray is more capable and more experienced than any other third-stringer we could ever hope for.
Unlike a few years ago, when we had Chevy and his lone start as our whole entire goaltender experience...

The defense will be as good as any group I have witnessed...I really fail to recall any top four as gifted as Makowski(granted his return to full health), Phillips, LaLeggia and Mayfield. Then you add in Didier (a top 4 in mostly any other year), the new Mermis and a Travis Zajac...We are looking at whole group of excellent collegiate defensemen. My educated understanding is that Murray Armstrong focused on having a core of stud d-men as the basis of his championship teams. I would think he would be at least somewhat proud in the core that Gwoz has assembled for us to witness next season. We have guys who, while still focusing on their proper role of defense, can also move the puck and contribute mightily to the offense.

Obviously, the offense is our question mark. Yet, what would you rather have -- Questionable offense or questionable defense (goaltending)? I would personally prefer to see a team with a wall of a defense with great goaltending -- and proper team-play -- than the polar opposite. We got took out by Ferris in the NCAA's, which was a team that had the proper team-play mixed with superb defense; basically the formula with which we captured our back-to-backs. I see a DU team whose offense won't get worn down because the certain stars are out there every other shift...we will have a balanced attack and might actually roll four lines for the first time in years. I think we will have a solid, yet unspectacular offense which will have a unique balance which is what actually was a major key to our success which has gone away the last few years.

All-in-all, I truly believe our program thrives when underrated and has a tendency to tank when we are supposed to thrive. I'm not sure why, but I'm not here to decide why :)

Personally, I think we will have another top-half finish (which many years of recent history dictate) and will make some unexpected noise at the proper time come March/late March/early April....GO DU!!!!....

Dmann
06-14-2012, 09:37 AM
My thoughts on the upcoming season and so forth:

The goaltending is just fine. I mean, Big Sam is as quality as anything we have had basically ever in my time (which is 30ish years) and Olki is like striking gold on an almost blind dig, plus Murray is more capable and more experienced than any other third-stringer we could ever hope for.
Unlike a few years ago, when we had Chevy and his lone start as our whole entire goaltender experience...

The defense will be as good as any group I have witnessed...I really fail to recall any top four as gifted as Makowski(granted his return to full health), Phillips, LaLeggia and Mayfield. Then you add in Didier (a top 4 in mostly any other year), the new Mermis and a Travis Zajac...We are looking at whole group of excellent collegiate defensemen. My educated understanding is that Murray Armstrong focused on having a core of stud d-men as the basis of his championship teams. I would think he would be at least somewhat proud in the core that Gwoz has assembled for us to witness next season. We have guys who, while still focusing on their proper role of defense, can also move the puck and contribute mightily to the offense.

Obviously, the offense is our question mark. Yet, what would you rather have -- Questionable offense or questionable defense (goaltending)? I would personally prefer to see a team with a wall of a defense with great goaltending -- and proper team-play -- than the polar opposite. We got took out by Ferris in the NCAA's, which was a team that had the proper team-play mixed with superb defense; basically the formula with which we captured our back-to-backs. I see a DU team whose offense won't get worn down because the certain stars are out there every other shift...we will have a balanced attack and might actually roll four lines for the first time in years. I think we will have a solid, yet unspectacular offense which will have a unique balance which is what actually was a major key to our success which has gone away the last few years.

All-in-all, I truly believe our program thrives when underrated and has a tendency to tank when we are supposed to thrive. I'm not sure why, but I'm not here to decide why :)

Personally, I think we will have another top-half finish (which many years of recent history dictate) and will make some unexpected noise at the proper time come March/late March/early April....GO DU!!!!....

Thanks for the optimistic assessment Chris. (this is probably the only time I don't miss Swami) I have been very worried about our offense, but you make some good points. The last few years we have relied on some super stars and battled injuries along the way. Maybe if we're not depending on them in favor of a "blue collar" offense we will see more depth. We do have some pretty serious weapons, Shore, Loney and hopefully some nice surprises from the Freshmen class. Hopefully some studs will emerge with the extra ice time. Go DU!!!

BigBossMan
06-14-2012, 01:14 PM
DU Hockey You Can Play Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPNwNr4nOPM&feature=youtu.be

Good to see Chancellor Coombe’s diversity program is having a positive effect. Lifelong bachelors can feel free to come out of the closet, wear a toga, start a hockey blog .. err .. DU sports blog. :cool:

s11r9seat8
06-14-2012, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the optimistic assessment Chris. (this is probably the only time I don't miss Swami) I have been very worried about our offense, but you make some good points. The last few years we have relied on some super stars and battled injuries along the way. Maybe if we're not depending on them in favor of a "blue collar" offense we will see more depth. We do have some pretty serious weapons, Shore, Loney and hopefully some nice surprises from the Freshmen class. Hopefully some studs will emerge with the extra ice time. Go DU!!!

It would be nice to be able to roll four lines. Some of the victories last season came on Saturday after not stressing the number one line to catch up late in the game on Fridays - as was the case frequently in the prior year. Less wear and tear too - perhaps fewer injuries later in the year.

ronmexico
06-14-2012, 03:38 PM
Good to see Chancellor Coombe’s diversity program is having a positive effect. Lifelong bachelors can feel free to come out of the closet, wear a toga, start a hockey blog .. err .. DU sports blog. :cool:
QFT! :p

Pablo
06-14-2012, 03:38 PM
I like your analysis, Chris. Not just because it's optimistic. I don't remember a more promising defense and goaltending since I've been following DU. As an added bonus--two of those defensemen have elite offensive skills. This will be a tremendous building block for the team.

The forward part of the equation isn't as rosey. But if Loney has a big year, if Nick Shore contributes as expected, and if Knowlton plays consistently like he did in streaks last year, we could finish in the top 3 of the league.

I concur that lower expectations, and less reliance on superstars, could result in a harder working team.

Fighting Sioux 23
06-14-2012, 06:52 PM
This DU squad will definitely be an interesting one to follow. DU should have a solid blueline, and Brittain is a top-3 goalie in the league, and potentially the top returning goalie for next season. Olki is an interesting situation. Was last year just a fluke? A result of being unknown and teams don't know his tendencies? We'll find out this fall. As for Murray, probably the most heralded third-string goalie in the history of college hockey. He has shown flashes of brilliance in his time at DU, and flashes of being a third-string goalie. I can't imagine that he thought he would be in this position when he committed to DU, but he is certainly the best third string goalie in the country.

DU will struggle to score, but they should have a blueline and goalie combo that should keep them in most games. I do seem them on the wrong side of some 2-1, 3-2 type games, especially early on. That being said, you can't really count out Gwoz, and while the WCHA is a stronger conference this season than last year, DU should be a top-half team, and could very well make another NCAA Tournament. Once you get there, it's a matter of stringing together 4 straight games and hoisting the title...just ask the 2004 team.

Ultimately, I have DU finishing 5th in the conference. I think their range is anywhere from 3rd to 8th, but I do see them hosting a first round series...potentially against CC.

vizoroo
06-16-2012, 10:29 AM
Although there are 112 days (14 weeks) until DU's exhibition game, Josiah Didier is back on the ice at the Habs development camp.

Josiah Didier: Known to be an expert shot blocker, one wouldn’t expect him to shine in this sort of camp. But he also didn’t look out of place in any drills either. He isn’t seen as having much offense in his game, which is why I was quite surprised on day two when he flashed a deceptively accurate wrist shot, picking bottom corners almost at will on a number of drills. Whereas Beaulieu would try to shoot through goalies, Didier picked his spots. As a d-man, he won’t be in the kind of position to take those sorts of shots often in a game, but interesting to see that he’s capable of it. He’s an under-the-radar guy to watch over the next couple of seasons. A project, but with the potential to become a Josh Gorges-type. He’ll need to improve his skating.
http://www.allhabs.net/canadiens-prospects/day-2-report-from-habs-development-camp-part-1/

vizoroo
06-16-2012, 10:57 AM
Interview with Joe Colborne as he cleans out his locker and discusses his injuries.
http://video.mapleleafs.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=446&id=181177&lang=en&navid=DL|TOR|home

vizoroo
06-18-2012, 10:04 AM
Happy Birthdays DG and me:D

dggoddard
06-18-2012, 11:11 AM
Happy Birthdays DG and me:DAnd Paul McCartney. He's 70.

du78
06-18-2012, 01:02 PM

Have a happy both of you!!!!

ronmexico
06-18-2012, 01:30 PM

I guess it's time to bust out the hookers and blow. :o

vizoroo
06-18-2012, 06:28 PM
Reporting that DU will play in the Great Lakes Invitational in December 2013
http://www.uscho.com/2012/06/18/great-lakes-invitational-contract-extended-three-more-years/

BTW Fighting Siuox 23 is running a poll to see who would be the 4 DU hickey figures we would put on "Mt. Rushmore"

I nominated:
Murray Armstrong
Keith Magnuson
Matt Carle
Bill Masteton
Make your nominations here:
http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?100752-Your-program-s-Mount-Rushmore

duper
06-19-2012, 08:55 AM
Reporting that DU will play in the Great Lakes Invitational in December 2013
http://www.uscho.com/2012/06/18/great-lakes-invitational-contract-extended-three-more-years/

BTW Fighting Siuox 23 is running a poll to see who would be the 4 DU hickey figures we would put on "Mt. Rushmore"

I nominated:
Murray Armstrong
Keith Magnuson
Matt Carle
Bill Masteton
Make your nominations here:
http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?100752-Your-program-s-Mount-RushmoreI saw your entry, and really pondered a way to squeeze Ron Grahame in there, thinking about the service he has given as an administrator for all these years, on top of being a pretty solid goalie once upon a time. But it was pretty hard for me to think of dislodging any of the four you named. Making a list of four without Murray Armstrong would clearly be preposterous. Maggie almost the same. It would have to be in place of Masterton, who I think was our first back-to-back All American or Carle, our only Hobey Baker winner. In the end, I left well-enough alone. I figured those who have seen more seasons of Pioneer hockey than I have can make that call.

s11r9seat8
06-19-2012, 12:05 PM
Gotta include Gwoz in the list.
We liked the article on Don Adam too - it is always fun to see if he comes out with his "happy" cop face on for games.

Pablo
06-19-2012, 02:48 PM
Gotta include Gwoz in the list.
We liked the article on Don Adam too - it is always fun to see if he comes out with his "happy" cop face on for games.
I think I would put Gwoz on the "wait list" at #5, behind the 4 that Vizoroo mentions. You could make a good argument for Gwoz appearing in the top 4, instead of Masterton, or possibly Carle. But if you can only choose four, it seems right to have 1 coach and 3 players. When Gwoz wins his 3rd title at DU, I will reconsider.

Old Pio
06-19-2012, 04:03 PM
Viz's four nominees are the DU equivalent of Mount Rushmore. They are immortal and clearly come ahead of any of the other worthy contenders. They are in a class by themselves.

vizoroo
06-19-2012, 09:17 PM
I think I would put Gwoz on the "wait list" at #5, behind the 4 that Vizoroo mentions. You could make a good argument for Gwoz appearing in the top 4, instead of Masterton, or possibly Carle. But if you can only choose four, it seems right to have 1 coach and 3 players. When Gwoz wins his 3rd title at DU, I will reconsider.

Never saw Masterton play ( I'm not that old:rolleyes: And neither is old Pio:D). He was a 2 time All American/NCAA champion. All around good guy and succesful in whatever he did. He may be remembered more for the NHL's Masterton Trophy. But if Gwoz would win that 3rd Championship might have to reconsider.
Maggie, Masterton and Matt Carle are all 2 time All Americans/NCAA Champions. Matty has the Hobey Baker on his resume which wasn't available to either Maggie or Masterton.

Add: Just looked up DU All Americans, the 1961 team must have been unbelievable:
1961 DU All Americans
Bill Masterton-F, Marty Howe-D, Jerry Walker-F, Grant Munro-D, George Kirkwood-G.
George Konik-D who was an All American in '60 was also on the '61 team.
1963 All American Billy Staub was probably a freshman, practicing with these guys.

Opponents must have just said OMG! When did the gophs decide they didn't want to play us???

Old Pio
06-20-2012, 06:28 PM
Never saw Masterton play ( I'm not that old:rolleyes: And neither is old Pio:D). He was a 2 time All American/NCAA champion. All around good guy and succesful in whatever he did. He may be remembered more for the NHL's Masterton Trophy. But if Gwoz would win that 3rd Championship might have to reconsider.
Maggie, Masterton and Matt Carle are all 2 time All Americans/NCAA Champions. Matty has the Hobey Baker on his resume which wasn't available to either Maggie or Masterton.

Add: Just looked up DU All Americans, the 1961 team must have been unbelievable:
1961 DU All Americans
Bill Masterton-F, Marty Howe-D, Jerry Walker-F, Grant Munro-D, George Kirkwood-G.
George Konik-D who was an All American in '60 was also on the '61 team.
1963 All American Billy Staub was probably a freshman, practicing with these guys.

Opponents must have just said OMG! When did the gophs decide they didn't want to play us???

When you average more than 7 goals a game, that means you've got some pretty impressive players. The indisputable fact is that by "taking a stand on principle," the Gohpers saved themselves numerous horrific beatings and cost DU more than one league title. Masterton wasn't just a dumb canuck. And his dying, on the ice, is a sad inevitable part of his legacy. Murray was crushed. Like he'd lost a son. Bill deserves to be on that list, period. Maggie was the dominant player of his era. And would surely have won at least one Hobey, maybe two. He was coverboy on the '68 NC program. Then being a key factor in Chicago going from last to first and the SI cover just cemented his reputation. And was a huge step forward in the acceptance of college players in the NHL.

A third NC and Gwoz would almost certainly get serious consideration for the list. Who says it has to be four? For me, it would be very difficult to remove Bill or anyone else from the "fab four," to make room for Gwoz. On the other hand, four or five NC's and it becomes inevitable.