Conference (Title) Consolation Games Should Be Uniform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conference (Title) Consolation Games Should Be Uniform

I think all the conferences should either have consolation games or not. It can give teams in those conferences that have the consolation game an unfair advantage. For Example, this year if the ECAC did not have a consolation game Cornell would not make the NCAA's, but since they do Cornell gets an"extra" chance to make the tournament and leave another team out. I guess the extra game could hurt teams in certain situations as well, if they lose. However, the fairest way to get rid of these advantages/disadvantages is to have all the conferences have the consolation games or eliminate them. I am in favor of the later.

Re: Conference (Title) Consolation Games Should Be Uniform

if a team is relying on the outcome of consolation games as to whether they get an invite or not, then said team more than likely does not deserve said invite

Comment

Originally posted by PKN View Post
      I think all the conferences should either have consolation games or not. It can give teams in those conferences that have the consolation game an unfair advantage. For Example, this year if the ECAC did not have a consolation game Cornell would not make the NCAA's, but since they do Cornell gets an"extra" chance to make the tournament and leave another team out. I guess the extra game could hurt teams in certain situations as well, if they lose. However, the fairest way to get rid of these advantages/disadvantages is to have all the conferences have the consolation games or eliminate them. I am in favor of the later.
      Cornell is #13 in the PWR currently. The Consolation game actually does them a disservice. If they lose, they are likely out, whereas if they didn't play the consolation game they would be in already. So, if you are a fan hoping that Cornell falls this evening, thank your lucky stars that they still have a chance to lose another game to finish outside the bubble.
      North Dakota
      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by chripy View Post
        if a team is relying on the outcome of consolation games as to whether they get an invite or not, then said team more than likely does not deserve said invite
        Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
        Cornell is #13 in the PWR currently. The Consolation game actually does them a disservice. If they lose, they are likely out, whereas if they didn't play the consolation game they would be in already. So, if you are a fan hoping that Cornell falls this evening, thank your lucky stars that they still have a chance to lose another game to finish outside the bubble.
        My main point is that if conferences are going to play an "extra" game, then it should be all or none!

Comment

My main point is that if conferences are going to play an "extra" game, then it should be all or none!
          If that's the case....none. They are totally dumb. And another chance for injuries for tourney bound teams.

Comment

While I'm glad my conference doesn't have the 3rd place game, in some conferences it is important to get any extra revenue possible for their teams. Why should other conferences that don't want a 3rd place game deny them that opportunity?

IMO, the decision to have a 3rd place game should be up to the conference. There is no need to take away a game that a conference could use to add to the coffers.
            North Dakota
            National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Leave it up to the conferences. The conference playoffs already aren't uniform, so a 3rd place game isn't that big of a deal. 3 give byes to top 4 teams and take 3 weeks, one has quarterfinals the last Thursday and the last only allows 8 teams in.
              "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Here's the thing... Like the rest of the formats it's because the membership wants it... If they feel it is a problem then they will get rid of it... As such, and I personally find them silly, it should be left up to them unless teams start sandbagging the game to help their opponent.
                BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                Skating Friar Jersey
                AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

I agree with this.

Comment

Absolutely not. How can you say that all conferences have to be uniform about a consolation game (one game) when they don't even use the same format for their conference tournaments. It makes no sense. Some conferences have two rounds of best-of-three, some only have one. Four conferences allow every team in the conference to play in the conference tournament, while one conference allows only the top 8 teams. If there is a belief that every conference should do things exactly the same way, that's one thing, but why insist on one similarity when every other thing is different?

Comment

I wouldn't make uniformity for its own sake a priority. But over the years my observation has been that the players are almost universally opposed to 3rd Place games. That should count for something, IMHO.

Stage a game that none of the players want to be part of? There have to be better ways to raise revenue.

Comment

FWIW, there used to be a 3rd place game in the the NCAA tourney. As to making things uniform for all leagues, I am against that. Also, it is quite difficult to do sinve not all of the leagues have the same number of teams.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I think all the conferences should either have consolation games or not. It can give teams in those conferences that have the consolation game an unfair advantage.
                          Teams differ in the # of games, # of home games, # of Out of Conference games, Strength of Schedule, etc.......... What do you want to change next so you team will get in? If your team will get knocked out because of a consolation game in another conference, then they aren't good enough to make the tournament -- next year win your league tournament or play well enough to get invited.

Comment

g
                            Originally posted by duper View Post
                            Absolutely not. How can you say that all conferences have to be uniform about a consolation game (one game) when they don't even use the same format for their conference tournaments. It makes no sense. Some conferences have two rounds of best-of-three, some only have one. Four conferences allow every team in the conference to play in the conference tournament, while one conference allows only the top 8 teams. If there is a belief that every conference should do things exactly the same way, that's one thing, but why insist on one similarity when every other thing is different?
                            The consolation game is happening when you are down to the last four teams in the conference championships. That is when you are getting down to the nitty-gritty for bubble teams of who is in and who is out of the NCAA's. If your conference has the consolation game, that game could have a significant effect for bubble teams. For Example, you are a bubble team that loses to a surpise team in the semi's. If you have the consolation game you could wind up not only having another chance to make the tournament, but could potentially improve your PWR if you beat say the #1 seed in the consolation game. I don't think that is right, unless all conferences have that same possibility.

Comment

I believe the appropriate title for this thread is "My Team Got Screwed".

Comment

Working...
                              X