Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union Hockey 2011-2012 season thread #2

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Blame Brown's coach for being a whiny brat during the 1987 Freakout. That's why you can't bring in your cowbells.
    Brown has a hockey team?

Comment

I hate whiny brats. He obviously had no sense of humor.

I guess our fault was being upfront about the bells. Certainly wouldn't have been if we'd known about the "rule." Next time I'll be a lot more creative. Love lespw1's ideas.

The NCAA is working hard to suck all the fun out of the games.
      Hockey is life, the rest is just details!

Comment

Did anyone notice the crazy guy leading the U N I O N cheer Friday? He's Mark Walsh, Chairman of the Board of Trustees. I think we have another friend of hockey in high places.

Comment

Congrats to Union and all the best in Tampa. Enjoy the ride!!!
          -M

Comment

Congratulations! Way to represent the league! Good luck in Tampa. Will be watching and hoping you guys get the ECAC its first national championship since 1989.
            Hockeyenthusiast

Colgate Class of '03

-I saw Andy McDonald play at Starr Rink.

Comment

Originally posted by Goaliefan View Post
              I hate whiny brats. He obviously had no sense of humor.

I guess our fault was being upfront about the bells. Certainly wouldn't have been if we'd known about the "rule." Next time I'll be a lot more creative. Love lespw1's ideas.

The NCAA is working hard to suck all the fun out of the games.
              Artificial noisemaking devices have been a violation of NCAA rules for at least 30 years that I can recall. (Playing Rule 6, Section 30, 2 minute bench minor). A seem to recall an instruction to officials that if it could not be determined who was using an illegal noisemaker it would be a bench minor on the home team.

I recall Harvard, at Bright Arena always used to enforce the rule. They did have a problem with RPI fans who at one time used to bring big red plastic horns. The problem was the RPI people used to wave the horns vigourously and on one occasion an elderly lady fan got a severe eye injury from her eye being hit. I also recall that at one point a few Cornell fans used to bring whistles which could really mess things up as players would think it was an officials whistle.

Of course nowadays, Harvard tends to play bad music at very loud sound levels at all times play is in progress. Horrible IMHO.

Union guys, Good Luck in Final Four.

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
                Artificial noisemaking devices have been a violation of NCAA rules for at least 30 years that I can recall. (Playing Rule 6, Section 30, 2 minute bench minor). A seem to recall an instruction to officials that if it could not be determined who was using an illegal noisemaker it would be a bench minor on the home team.

I recall Harvard, at Bright Arena always used to enforce the rule. They did have a problem with RPI fans who at one time used to bring big red plastic horns. The problem was the RPI people used to wave the horns vigourously and on one occasion an elderly lady fan got a severe eye injury from her eye being hit. I also recall that at one point a few Cornell fans used to bring whistles which could really mess things up as players would think it was an officials whistle.

Of course nowadays, Harvard tends to play bad music at very loud sound levels at all times play is in progress. Horrible IMHO.

Union guys, Good Luck in Final Four.
                It was enacted in either 1987 or 1988, depending on how often they did rule changes back then.

Comment

Bad news for those who don't like early games - Schott reports Union will play at 4:30 PM on 4/5. ESPNU airs it.

https://www.dailygazette.com/weblogs...emifinal-at-4/

Comment

Originally posted by rdf8585 View Post
                    Bad news for those who don't like early games - Schott reports Union will play at 4:30 PM on 4/5. ESPNU airs it.

https://www.dailygazette.com/weblogs...emifinal-at-4/
                    I can't catch a break. This will cause me to take off an additional day of work. Then again, we're in the frozen four...I'm not complaining!
                    LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

This isn't shocking. The 1st game is on ESPN U the 2nd is on ESPN2...which more people get. Would ESPN rather put UMD/BC and UND/Minn on national TV or Union and Ferris? They prob figured TV ratings would be better for the "big teams"...we're stuck on the U @ 4:30. I could care less...i'll be saddled up at a bar watching in Saratoga, probably Irish Times. Can't afford the $600 flight + $200 tickets.

Lets go U!

Comment

Originally posted by uniondutch21 View Post
                        This isn't shocking. The 1st game is on ESPN U the 2nd is on ESPN2...which more people get. Would ESPN rather put UMD/BC and UND/Minn on national TV or Union and Ferris? They prob figured TV ratings would be better for the "big teams"...we're stuck on the U @ 4:30. I could care less...i'll be saddled up at a bar watching in Saratoga, probably Irish Times. Can't afford the $600 flight + $200 tickets.
                        See Jim Connelly's well-written article about the hockey being held hostage by ESPN: http://www.uscho.com/in-the-corner/2...stage-by-espn/

As for the Frozen Four, apparently it's not as important as showing NFL Live or NASCAR today for the 4th time that day to put the first semifinal on ESPN2. What's worse is the WEST regional final being scheduled at 5:30 EDT and the NORTHEAST final at 8:00 EDT.

It gets better...ESPN has this deal with the NCAA for the next 12 years.
                        Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

Met a bunch of your fans last night, and as I told them ... congrats. Your boys deserved it, you brought it to Lowell all game, and the River Hawks had no answer for most of the game. But ... I hope we can do this again sometime, because man that was fun.
                          Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                          2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                          2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                          2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                          2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Congrats to Union. You are well coached, disciplined, and most importantly, a really good team! Best of luck in Tampa.
                            Let's go Lowell.

Comment

Originally posted by uniondutch21 View Post

Lets go U!
                              Ditto. I blew my recreation budget for the month in Bridgeport. I was naively surprised at the cost of the tickets (having went to the last one in '03) but not the plane fare. Does anyone know what Capital District places (with tasty beverages) will be available for us Union fans to gather and watch the games? It'd be great to watch the games as a group and cheer Union on.
                              Hockey is life, the rest is just details!

Comment

Originally posted by Goaliefan View Post
                                Ditto. I blew my recreation budget for the month in Bridgeport. I was naively surprised at the cost of the tickets (having went to the last one in '03) but not the plane fare. Does anyone know what Capital District places (with tasty beverages) will be available for us Union fans to gather and watch the games? It'd be great to watch the games as a group and cheer Union on.
                                I would keep my eye on the U Athletics website for possible viewing parties.

I decided to go to Tampa and entered the ticket lottery last fall basically on a whim thinking what better a combination than the sun and sand with college hockey. Never realistically dreamed that the team would be joining us. Still can't believe it. However, it is a major trauma to the wallet, I'll admit. Bonus is that we're going to Yankees Rays season opener on the Friday between games.

Comment

Working...
                                X