Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH 2018 Offseason- Out with the old , in with the semi new?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
    How about a few more Max Gildons, APs and TKs?
    Works for me Dan
    UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Re: UNH 2018 Offseason- Out with the old , in with the semi new?

How about we all agree 1) Souza was handicapped by the former coach and 2) he's no longer handicapped. All prior results are mulligans, and we start fresh, with all of us wishing him the best of luck. How about we collectively agree that we should relegate all grievances about that dark era (and use of the former coach's name) to the old thread?

With that clean slate, and judging only actions: Going forward, the assistant announcement will come "sooner." I assume this is based on the fact that White, as a pro scout, cannot simply drop everything right now. White did college free agent scouting, so perhaps that is now done with the college season, and he can move on.

Now connecting the dots. The whole presser of "NHL connections" and "agents and advisors" relationships. White no doubt is talking to college free agent advisors during that scouting of free agents, and also has NHL peers at Winnipeg including the Euro scouts. Does Winnipeg send all of their picks to UNH? For example, last year's fourth pick was Finnish forward Santeri Virtanen, now with Dubuque of the USHL. http://www.dubuquefightingsaints.com...688?subseason=

Michael Berdin, now with Sioux Falls in the USHL, is a potential college goalie.....http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=193770

I presume Winnipeg wouldn't mind lending those two to White. Are those the late additions?
      Last edited by NCAA watcher; 03-16-2018, 07:42 AM.
      The Souza record:
      15-16 10th place
      16-17 10th place
      17-18 11th place
      18-19 8th place
      19-20 9th place
      20-21 10th place
      21-22 9th place
      22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
        How about we all agree 1) Souza was handicapped by the former coach and 2) he's no longer handicapped. All prior results are mulligans, and we start fresh, with all of us wishing him the best of luck. How about we collectively agree that we should relegate all grievances about that dark era (and use of the former coach's name) to the old thread?

With that clean slate, and judging only actions: Going forward, the assistant announcement will come "sooner." I assume this is based on the fact that White, as a pro scout, cannot simply drop everything right now. White did college free agent scouting, so perhaps that is now done with the college season, and he can move on.

Now connecting the dots. The whole presser of "NHL connections" and "agents and advisors" relationships. White no doubt is talking to college free agent advisors during that scouting of free agents, and also has NHL peers at Winnipeg including the Euro scouts. Does Winnipeg send all of their picks to UNH? For example, last year's fourth pick was Finnish forward Santeri Virtanen, now with Dubuque of the USHL. http://www.dubuquefightingsaints.com...688?subseason=

Michael Berdin, now with Sioux Falls in the USHL, is a potential college goalie.....http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=193770

I presume Winnipeg wouldn't mind lending those two to White. Are those the late additions?
        Yup! And I agree the signs point towards White coming in. As Dan alluded, is this just a buddy pick?
        UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Bring us some Finns!

Finland #1 in the 2018 Happiness Index; U.S. #18.

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
            Yup! And I agree the signs point towards White coming in. As Dan alluded, is this just a buddy pick?
            White grew up a couple of towns over from Souza (Woburn/Wakefield) and they are the same age. They were teammates at UNH, and White was an assistant at Brown when they hired Souza, probably instrumental in getting him the job. So there is a long connection.

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
            Bring us some Finns!
            Per his web page, he speaks five languages, so that's good..... Being from Finland and Dubuque, UNH would be a warm weather town.
            Last edited by NCAA watcher; 03-16-2018, 07:54 AM.
            The Souza record:
            15-16 10th place
            16-17 10th place
            17-18 11th place
            18-19 8th place
            19-20 9th place
            20-21 10th place
            21-22 9th place
            22-23 10th place

Comment

White grew up a couple of towns over from Souza (Woburn/Wakefield) and they are the same age. They were teammates at UNH, and White was an assistant at Brown when they hired Souza, probably instrumental in getting him the job. So there is a long connection.

Per his web page, he speaks five languages, so that's good..... Being from Finland and Dubuque, UNH would be a warm weather town.
              Souza and White were also dormitory roommates at UNH, IIRC?

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                So you don't think that there is a way to express that the future will be different and significant changes are needed without defaming the previous coach? Because I said clearly statements about significant change and to recruits could be made with respect towards the past regime and you responded (as if you missed that qualifier) by saying that if Souza had expressed what I wished to hear it would be entirely disrespectful.

So, tell me why if Souza thinks significant work is required to get UNH back to the top he couldn't have said so without offending Umile? And why would Umile be offended at hearing a statement like that? Do you not think Umile realizes that work is required or that the program is down? I bet he does...

It is far more likely that Souza said what he said because he believes it. I think he thinks that with some work this summer the returning team is knocking on the door and that's why he insinuated as such.

As to the rest of your post - I have not been the one calling for a young coach. I want a good coach. I don't care how well a coach relates to his players if he can't close the deal. Young or old, I have been quite clear about wanting a coach who can LAND talent. Everything else is colored bubbles.

Souza does not get the space he would get if he was hired from UConn this week. He was hired three years ago! He has been in charge of recruiting (as the coordinator and sole decision maker) for three years! He has been in place and doing the job. His clock started a long time ago. Next year's roster is ENTIRELY his - they are either his recruits or it was his decision to keep their offers in place. PERIOD.

The last three years reflect on him quite a bit. To bury your head in the sand and pretend this is a fresh start is wishful. If you want to hope everything will be different now and that Umile was the recruiting problem the last few years then go ahead. I'll stick to reality and what we know as far as Souza's resume. Despite claims he's a master recruiter he's been haphazard and inconsistent (at best) at UNH. His track record beforehand was spotty to downright unimpressive at Brown and UConn.

He talks a good game about leaving no stone unturned. But it hasn't produced results. They've been plagued by incredibly long droughts without commitments. They've committed to a large number of under the radar projects. Their best commits have been late decommits from other schools. They. They failed to hold onto the best recruits from the Borek era (or land players who surpass the talent level of the holdovers - resulting in so many players in roles above their ability). And they failed to maintain the commitment of their biggest get in Drew Commesso.

That's Souza's three-year UNH resume. The same Souza who's going to be leading recruiting efforts at UNH moving forward. And we're constantly being sold by UNH that recruiting is his biggest strength. On top of that there is the declining PP and the defense that everyone (else, not me) blames as the weakest link of the team.

So what magically changes now that Souza is in the big chair? Was he forced to play PP personnel and formations without any input? Was Umile telling him who he could and couldn't recruit for his own team?

You think I'm negative. I'm telling you - I'm calling it as I see it based on what I see and I'm not happy to be writing this review. That's a fact.Unlike many I view UNH and it's current situation, not just as a fan of UNH (though I am as much a fan as anyone), but as a fan of college hockey. A Miami alum. A DU season ticket holder. A former employee of both a program and a conference. I see UNH and how they stack up across HE and the sport and if they stacked up well I'd have more positive things to say.

I'll be the first one to give Souza props when he earns them. In three years with great control over the program, he simply has not. And his attitude about strictly recruiting players who want 'UNH' is a bad one - its up to him to create reasons for players to want UNH and to sell the school. That's what it takes. Expecting players to trip over themselves to come to a school that finished last in HE and 52 in PWR is foolish. He thinks they should because that was his experience as a recruit when the program was rolling.

He needs to take a long look at why UNH was so enticing to him and work from there. Enough with the assumptions it's still the same program. And if he looks back he'll realize it all started and ended with McCloskey convincing kids UNH was place where they wanted to play. He didn't target kids who wanted UNH, he targeted kids he wanted and made them want UNH. See Hemingway, Colin. And no one ever gave a rip how old he was. He was, simply, a stud recruiter regardless of age.

Souza has had three years to realize that and he hasn't. Why would he realize it today just because his title is different...?

And his big selling point has been 'family'. Ninety percent of the program's in college hockey and college sports have a family atmosphere. That's not a differentiating factor. So enough already. To care about your players is a baseline. Family, caring about student-athletes and developing people is not going to be the primary factor in recruiting anyone. Every school does this.

Miami Hockey is known as the brotherhood. That led to a lot of wins and great recruits when Jeff Blashill and Chris Bergeron were doing the recruiting. Now, it gets them nowhere and they're losing. Why? Cause the recruiters aren't any good and kids can find a family atmosphere at any number of schools.

Players want a school that will do all that AND win, get them to the pros and make them better. The last three are differentiating factors and Souza needs to sell kids (thru differentiating factors like early impact roles, big scholarship money, gushing about what UNH has instead of worrying about what it doesn't, etc) that they can do those things in Durham. To do so requires an attitude and an announcement that things are changing now. Regardless of who may take offense...

Significant change is needed and they need to say so and act in it. Instead, we get the same statements we've been getting for three years - but we expect an entirely different approach/guy now anyway?

THEY can't have it both ways ecat - the status quo and success. Time to shut the front door on the way they've done things and try something new. It starts with telling recruits, coaches and fans publicly that things are going to change...

This should be printed out and pinned outside the coaches offices.

If i was an advisor to a player there is no way I am currently directing him to UNH unless he has no other high end options with the exception is if the player has a late change of plans. Right now UNH is getting players that decommit late or ones who want to play immediately (Gildons/Taylors of the world). High end recruits flat out arent coming and something has to change and change fast.

Comment

Per Chuck Murray's post, "Haven't had a chance to follow closely, but I'm with Dan and Lemonade in being underwhelmed by yesterday." Not surprisingly, my issue is with what Scarano said.......when he disbanded the FOWH group, he distinctly told the coaches and team that the Athletic Dept. would pick up the funding slack.......an Athletic Dept. that always came to the FOWH, or player's parents, to fund everything! Imagine when UNH wanted to upgrade our championship banners, the friends groups had to fund that......the player's photos, pro and Olympic.....but now, Mike can expect "Fair winds and following seas"!!

And FWIW, IMHO UNH has an Alumni that is one of the best scouts in the NHL........we have a few in such job assignments but one guy who travels the world for 10 months a year, knows every league from every country, and almost every prospect (and their worth) by name.........from my talks with him, no one has been in touch.........we all wish Mike and Stewy the best,(yes, it's always a good day to be a Wildcat) but excuse us for being skeptical.......show us something!

Comment

I'm with Watcher on this. For now, I'll discard the legitimate observation that the majority of the roster that has been brought in the last two years is not D1 caliber. Instead let's see if there is a pivot now that he is the head coach.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                      I'm with Watcher on this. For now, I'll discard the legitimate observation that the majority of the roster that has been brought in the last two years is not D1 caliber. Instead let's see if there is a pivot now that he is the head coach.
                      I don't agree with Watchers assertion that his recruiting was hamstrung by Umile over the last three years. If we want to say his coaching was fine - though I have a hard time with that, too, but I can give him a pass and a clean slate on all coaching and administrative decisions.

The reality is he was the HC in terms of recruiting for three years. Evaluation in that regard started then, not today. I hope UNH recruiting pivots - but I am not on board with giving him a blank slate and five years to build a new roster as if he's a brand new coach. The current roster belongs to him and these are all his guys in one way or another. There is no way he deserves the 'needs his own players' caveat on his HC career - and I promise you if he struggles next couple years that's what we'll hear...

I'm happy to objectively evaluate him moving forward - and despite what some may think I want him to succeed - but he has his players and his HC evaluation starts today with a much shorter leash than an outside hire would receive...

---

He can start winning me over by moving on the uncommitted 20 year old European forwards in the USHL. There is not Vanek type competition for their services - still they are highly skilled, proven in Europe and NA and uncommitted.

Watcher posted the list of 02 USNTDP candidates - many are already committed - an aggressive and serious recruiting team would throw a full at Scott Morrow right now. So let's see some action and I'll move on from his previous resume...
                      Last edited by Dan; 03-16-2018, 09:44 AM.
                      Live Free or Die!!
                      Miami University '03

Comment

I don't agree with Watchers assertion that his recruiting was hamstrung by Umile over the last three years.
                        Cripse, you violate the first rule of the thread, namely bringing in the name of the former coach, the dark era. This is your first warning.
                        And without knowing the play by play, I will give Mike the benefit of the doubt as to how negative an influence the Former Coach was.

I assume Morrow has a full offer, but is waiting. No reason to rush, as we see with the other kid on the list who changed his mind.
                        The Souza record:
                        15-16 10th place
                        16-17 10th place
                        17-18 11th place
                        18-19 8th place
                        19-20 9th place
                        20-21 10th place
                        21-22 9th place
                        22-23 10th place

Comment

Cripse, you violate the first rule of the thread, namely bringing in the name of the former coach, the dark era. This is your first warning.
                          And without knowing the play by play, I will give Mike the benefit of the doubt as to how negative an influence the Former Coach was.

I assume Morrow has a full offer, but is waiting. No reason to rush, as we see with the other kid on the list who changed his mind.
                          I'm a rebel!

If he has an offer that's fine - he deserves the time to make up his mind. But there is a rush to recruiting. Recruiting is marketing and the first rule of marketing is to be first. UNH needs to start moving faster and being the first to offer top prospects. If they can be the first to offer they need to be the first to offer a full, the first to offer earlier enrollment or the first to get kids on campus, etc...

That needs to be the strategy until the roster gets back to where it needs to be...
                          Live Free or Die!!
                          Miami University '03

Comment

I'm a rebel!

If he has an offer that's fine - he deserves the time to make up his mind. But there is a rush to recruiting. Recruiting is marketing and the first rule of marketing is to be first. UNH needs to start moving faster and being the first to offer top prospects. If they can be the first to offer they need to be the first to offer a full, the first to offer earlier enrollment or the first to get kids on campus, etc...

That needs to be the strategy until the roster gets back to where it needs to be...
                            Having been an insurance agent for over 40 years, I will tell you that the first rule in marketing is convincing your potential client that what you have to offer is better than the competition's. To be honest, I never liked being first in the door, unless I had been referred by an existing client who had touted me ahead of time. If you were first in the door in what amounted to a dog and pony show, by the time the guy made a decision, what you had to say was almost forgotten.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                              Having been an insurance agent for over 40 years, I will tell you that the first rule in marketing is convincing your potential client that what you have to offer is better than the competition's. To be honest, I never liked being first in the door, unless I had been referred by an existing client who had touted me ahead of time. If you were first in the door in what amounted to a dog and pony show, by the time the guy made a decision, what you had to say was almost forgotten.
                              The 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing

UNH needs to be the first school to make these kids dreams of playing college hockey come true. UNH needs to be the first program these kids see playing for as an actual reality. Being first is critical. The Law of Leadership clearly states that being first doesn't guarantee success (yes, the product has to be a good one and/or a needed one - it doesn't have to be the best because being first is a massive advantage). UNH may not be BC/BU, but it has A LOT to offer - they're not a dog and pony show - and they need to offer it first. You offer a kid first and until they get a second offer, the school that dominates their mind, the one they think about playing for and the one they imagine being a part of, is your school. That is invaluable and awfully hard to overcome, without even taking into account how many players just take their first offer...

Rossi will tell you that recruits are choosing Northeastern because it's suddenly become a paragon of academic virtue. That's balogna. It's the same school and program it's always been - but recently it has featured a coaching staff that targets players young and first, before bigger and better programs have a chance to offer. It's paid off dramatically in terms of talent influx...

With kids rushing to commit - the first offer is often the best offer and the accepted offer. Things have changed in the early commitment sports - from 'here's my long list of offers I'm choosing from' to 'I really didn't have a lot of other offers, I got this one and took it'. For better or worse...

---

Ben Roethlisberger eventually got an offer from Ohio State, but he went to Miami because Miami offered first (when BR was a high-school WR)...
                              Last edited by Dan; 03-16-2018, 10:47 AM.
                              Live Free or Die!!
                              Miami University '03

Comment

Maybe all of the scholarship funds are already committed to those on Watcher's list on the recruiting thread for the next three seasons. The one D slot open for next season, one D and three forwards slots for 2019-2020, and two D and four forwards slots for 2020-2021 may be filled primarily by non- scholarship walk-on's? Not the UNH family way to pull scholarship money already promised, not to mention taking away ice time to fourth line and third D-pair captains.

Comment

Working...
                                X