Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH 2018 Offseason- Out with the old , in with the semi new?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH 2018 Offseason- Out with the old , in with the semi new?

well in other non related UNH Hockey news that's one less UConn player to worry about as Letunov signs with the Sharks..
    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Clark may return? I have my doubts given a few social media posts I've seen, but, here's the story from Fosters about the presser.

http://www.fosters.com/sports/201803...s-hockey-coach

And this one from the Monitor where Souza brings up assistant coach stuff including the possibilities of having Stewie apply for the 'mack position:

http://www.concordmonitor.com/Univer...Umile-16212695
      Last edited by HockeyRef; 03-15-2018, 05:35 AM.
      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Other notes form the Monitor
        Souza brushed off the term “rebuild” when a reporter asked what needs to change to bring the program back to a place where it is contending for conference and national titles.

“I’m not too concerned with what went on this year,” Souza said. “I think the nucleus of our group is strong and excited to get working out this week and get after it. … There’s a lot to be optimistic about. But I’m also a realist and I understand that those words are hollow unless we win hockey games.”

Recruitment is the lifeblood of the college game, and Souza has spent the last seven years focused on building relationships across country and internationally.

From Fosters
        “I don’t look at it as a rebuild at all,” Souza said. “Naturally we’ve got to start winning some hockey games and it just perpetuates itself. First you win one and then you win two. Winning becomes infectious just like losing does.

“We can’t worry about what didn’t happen this past season,” he added. “My full focus is on what’s going to happen.”

One of Souza’s biggest strengths is recruiting, and he has connections not only in North America but also in Europe where he played professionally for six years.
        and this

So, UNH is providing the resources for overseas recruiting? (Thats prob why he thanked Clement, UNH's VP of Finance)

With UNH moving Pierson up for next year, that means there's probably about one or two missing pieces for this year's recruting class.

And with Pierson moving up, the lineup now seems pretty firm

Fr.Crookshank----Jr.Blackburn---Jr.Grasso
        Sr.Nazarian------Sr.Vela---------So.Kelleher
        Jr.BVR-----------Sr.Miller--------So.McAdams
        Fr.Pierson-------Sr.Cefalu-------Jr.Fregona
        Fr.Cipollone---- Fr.Esposito-----So.Sato
        Jr.Sacco

So.Gildon----Jr.Wyse
        So.Maass---Sr.Boyd
        Fr.______----Fr.Verrier
        Fr.Green-----Jr.Dawson

Fr.Taylor---So.Robinson-- Jr.Lazzaro

“Thinking about this for three years, there’s some people in mind,” he said.
        If the assistant is a guy he's thought about for years and will announce soon, It sounds like it'll be White.
        Last edited by NCAA watcher; 03-15-2018, 09:45 AM.
        The Souza record:
        15-16 10th place
        16-17 10th place
        17-18 11th place
        18-19 8th place
        19-20 9th place
        20-21 10th place
        21-22 9th place
        22-23 10th place

Comment

He understands there is a lot of work to be done. His mind he may be closer to "rebuild" than his words are, but using the R word is a public indictment of the events of the past few years which he is savvy enough to avoid. Also, there are several quality pieces in place, the team did not lose all that much with the graduating seniors.

Unless the entire press conference was a politically crafted masterpiece, I am pleased and excited. Marty referenced not being a succession plan advocate except for Mike who is an excellent modern age recruiter. The best part was Mike saying that he has failed if, down the road players look back on their UNH experience as the best four years of their lives.
          I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
            If the assistant is a guy he's thought about for years and will announce soon, It sounds like it'll be White.
            Wasn’t there a post yesterday that indicated that White was scouting for Winnipeg? My guess would be that a pro job is always better than a college one. Nolan is a pro scout. Mowers is a well. Neither of them have been rumored as candidates at UNH so maybe White is out of the mix as well.

And if the UNH Administration is increasing the hockey budget I’m left wondering how it was previously stacking up against other schools. Perhaps it was no accident that UNH had never recruited in Europe. Or maybe Umile or Borek never asked, or worse, cared.

Comment

Depends on if that scout really wants to get into coaching. Believe Madigan went right from being a pro scout to head coach at NU.

Comment

• Where has this 'master recruiter' with loads of NA and international contacts been the last three seasons? We've seen Souza's recruiting in action, to date. He doesn't think UNH needs a rebuild? Until top kids start committing to UNH this is the same bill of goods we were sold three years ago - about how personable he was and how he was going to immediately upgrade incoming talent...

Please, nobody text back with the 'Umile was the HC defense'. It's garbage. Souza was in sole charge of recruiting since his arrival. He's right about one thing though - you have to do it not say it. Despite all theyre saying 'today' about recruiting - very little has been done the last three years to change things at UNH via recruited personnel. With the way they're touting Souza's recruiting chops he better turn things around big time, starting this summer, or they'll end up looking completely foolish and that term will become a punch line...

Bringing in Pierson early may he a good move long term - we still don't really know who he'll be with a mere two games ever played above HS hockey - but will do very little to change next year's fortunes. He's unlikely to be a big time offensive contributor next season. Proven scorers, ready to make a real impact, remain available in the USHL, master...

Turning to an 18 year old with nada junior experience instead, and touting the returning core, leads me to believe Souza doesn't think adding proven USHL scorers is necessary...
                Last edited by Dan; 03-15-2018, 01:02 PM.
                Live Free or Die!!
                Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                  Where has this 'master recruiter' with loads of NA and international contacts been the last three seasons? We've seen Souza's recruiting in action, to date. He doesn't think UNH needs a rebuild? Until top kids start committing to UNH this is the same bill of goods we were sold three years ago - about how personable he was and how he was going to immediately upgrade incoming talent...

Please, nobody text back with the 'Umile was the HC defense'. It's garbage. Souza was in sole charge of recruiting since his arrival. He's right about one thing though - you have to do it not say it. Despite all theyre saying 'today' about recruiting - very little has been done the last three years to change things at UNH via recruited personnel. With the way they're touting Souza's recruiting chops he better turn things around big time, starting this summer, or they'll end up looking completely foolish and that term will become a punch line...

Bringing in Pierson early may he a good move long term - we still don't really know who he'll be with a mere two games ever played above HS hockey - but will do very little to change next year's fortunes. He's unlikely to be a big time offensive contributor next season. Proven scorers, ready to make a real impact, remain available in the USHL, master...

Turning to an 18 year old with nada junior experience instead, and touting the returning core, leads me to believe Souza doesn't think adding proven USHL scorers is necessary...
                  I watched the press conference and although I like what Souza stands for I am not sure his vision is possible. I didnt get a wave of fresh air, a new strategy, a new focus, a new intensity, a new drive....I got the same old feeling with just a different voice at the podium. The recruiting the last few seasons has been abysmal and so have the results. This program absolutely needs a rebuild and not the same old.

Comment

That was my sense. Message seemed to be that we're a decent team, and improvement will be through off season workouts, not upgrade in personnel.
                    The Souza record:
                    15-16 10th place
                    16-17 10th place
                    17-18 11th place
                    18-19 8th place
                    19-20 9th place
                    20-21 10th place
                    21-22 9th place
                    22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                      That was my sense. Message seemed to be that we're a decent team, and improvement will be through off season workouts, not upgrade in personnel.
                      He's counting on his sophomores to develop into big impact players...I hope he's right.
                      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
                        I watched the press conference and although I like what Souza stands for I am not sure his vision is possible. I didnt get a wave of fresh air, a new strategy, a new focus, a new intensity, a new drive....I got the same old feeling with just a different voice at the podium. The recruiting the last few seasons has been abysmal and so have the results. This program absolutely needs a rebuild and not the same old.
                        An elite recruiter would realize that a press conference is about reaching more than just the media - it's a chance to speak directly to top recruits, their coaches and advisors and express to them how they might fit in your program. It's a call to arms that you're coming for talent of their ilk. This was a huge opportunity missed.

Additionally, I'm sure it might help fill the Whitt - a stated goal - if you give the disgruntled and departed fans a reason to expect something different and return. The idea that UNH is right there and can win with the same approach they've had in recent years isn't going to bring anyone back.

You can accomplish both without belittling your current team or bagging on the previous coach. This was a press conference that inspires those who wanted to be inspired...

---

The offense is not getting much better next year as is. They have no one truly capable of creating for themselves or others consistently. There is not a TK or AP in the bunch.

And as we learned - just having a couple of those guys isn't good enough anyway. UNH needs to get back to having consistent classes of top talent. That's how teams win. Stack talent in waves. He may expect the SO to take big jumps - it's still not remotely enough. They need to add scoring talent AND hope the SO (and JRs) take big jumps if they even want to sniff competitiveness next season...

And let's be realistic - the two top scoring SO are defensemen. You cannot count on defensemen to carry your offense - if you do, you have no offense. See the 2017-18 season (long time ago, easy to forget)...

CK will never be TK - he can be very good though, IF he plays with real talent (I.e. The USHL kids). If you're ever planning on EM being a critical scorer you're in trouble. The SO class isn't the answer alone...

Any truly dangerous O will come from the development of the JRs - who will be gone soon, must be replaced and haven't been. Any true team success will only come from supplementing the existing talent with a whole lot more new talent. Otherwise, this team is facing three more years of the same before future recruits would matriculate and at that point it will be real hard for even a master recruiter to attract anyone...

UNH has always needed a UM/Carvel type rebuild - instead they still seem assured that if they just remind people that they're UNH (and they're a family - as if they're the only school who treats players respectfully, allows them to be student-athletes, etc. Thats an expected baseline for every program and not special to UNH. FFS.) things will work out. No change necessary. That's what was reinforced by this press conference...
                        Live Free or Die!!
                        Miami University '03

Comment

The Souza record:
                          15-16 10th place
                          16-17 10th place
                          17-18 11th place
                          18-19 8th place
                          19-20 9th place
                          20-21 10th place
                          21-22 9th place
                          22-23 10th place

Comment

An elite recruiter would realize that a press conference is about reaching more than just the media - it's a chance to speak directly to top recruits, their coaches and advisors and express to them how they might fit in your program. It's a call to arms that you're coming for talent of their ilk. This was a huge opportunity missed.

Additionally, I'm sure it might help fill the Whitt - a stated goal - if you give the disgruntled and departed fans a reason to expect something different and return. The idea that UNH is right there and can win with the same approach they've had in recent years isn't going to bring anyone back.

You can accomplish both without belittling your current team or bagging on the previous coach. This was a press conference that inspires those who wanted to be inspired...

---

The offense is not getting much better next year as is. They have no one truly capable of creating for themselves or others consistently. There is not a TK or AP in the bunch.

And as we learned - just having a couple of those guys isn't good enough anyway. UNH needs to get back to having consistent classes of top talent. That's how teams win. Stack talent in waves. He may expect the SO to take big jumps - it's still not remotely enough. They need to add scoring talent AND hope the SO (and JRs) take big jumps if they even want to sniff competitiveness next season...

And let's be realistic - the two top scoring SO are defensemen. You cannot count on defensemen to carry your offense - if you do, you have no offense. See the 2017-18 season (long time ago, easy to forget)...

CK will never be TK - he can be very good though, IF he plays with real talent (I.e. The USHL kids). If you're ever planning on EM being a critical scorer you're in trouble. The SO class isn't the answer alone...

Any truly dangerous O will come from the development of the JRs - who will be gone soon, must be replaced and haven't been. Any true team success will only come from supplementing the existing talent with a whole lot more new talent. Otherwise, this team is facing three more years of the same before future recruits would matriculate and at that point it will be real hard for even a master recruiter to attract anyone...

UNH has always needed a UM/Carvel type rebuild - instead they still seem assured that if they just remind people that they're UNH (and they're a family - as if they're the only school who treats players respectfully, allows them to be student-athletes, etc. Thats an expected baseline for every program and not special to UNH. FFS.) things will work out. No change necessary. That's what was reinforced by this press conference...

Exactly my thoughts. They need a Carvel type rebuild - create some buzz in the hockey world. Hire an up and coming new head coach with a fresh vision for the program. Lets face it, not one recruit was alive when UNH was a Frozen Four team, that glory day theme has long left the barn. Recruits only know UNH as an also ran and currently the worst team in Hockey East. Add to that a rookie head coach with an unproven track record and its going to be a massive uphill battle for Souza. If you are a prized recruit you are looking at every other Hockey East program before UNH - maybe Merrimack or UVM is behind them.
                            Last edited by Lemonade; 03-15-2018, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Haven't had a chance to follow closely, but I'm with Dan and Lemonade in being underwhelmed by yesterday.

Put me down for Corrazini over White. Liked him as a player, and a non-UNH perspective would be nice.
                              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                                Haven't had a chance to follow closely, but I'm with Dan and Lemonade in being underwhelmed by yesterday.

Put me down for Corrazini over White. Liked him as a player, and a non-UNH perspective would be nice.
                                Put me down as extremely underwhelmed if, after years of hoping Souza planned in adding legitimate recruiting help, he hires a guy who has NEVER recruited or coached at the collegiate level. I suppose he recruits to St Marks (someone with prep school ties can tell me how he does in that regard) and he may have the right personality, but I'm not really interested in simply hoping he can do it...

I'll be underwhelmed with either - simply hiring a buddy does nothing for me and would be a red flag...
                                Live Free or Die!!
                                Miami University '03

Comment

Working...
                                X