Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ohio State Buckeyes 2017-2018 ... Home Playoffs This Season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ohio State Buckeyes 2017-2018 ... Home Playoffs This Season?

Anybody here going to be at the game? We have decided to take a road trip & wonder if we might bump into commenters

Comment

• 0-0 end of 1. SOG 3-15

Comment

• Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
        0-0 end of 1. SOG 3-15
        Who has the 15?

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
          Who has the 15?
          The visitors.
          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

2-1 Mav's after 2. Very strange or just the new norm?
            "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

• 2-1 end of 2 Mankato has managed to score twice while OSU is displaying the worst power play I have seen in years.
              SOG 12-23

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
              0-0 end of 1. SOG 3-15

Comment

Caught the 2nd period on line. How bad is OSU’s power play! Not sure why you would have a forward on the back end when you have defensemen like Dunne, Sadek and Boyle to quarterback the PP.

Comment

• 3-2 final as OSU finally got a police goal. I'll have more when I have a real keyboard to work with

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                  2-1 end of 2 Mankato has managed to score twice while OSU is displaying the worst power play I have seen in years.
                  SOG 12-23

Comment

There were probably not the 20 or so penalty calls that the Maverick play-by-play guys would have liked to have seen called against the Buckeyes, but there were a few that the refs let go by for sure. Crosby did seem to be screened on the winning goal and she had just made a huge save awhile before that. Not sure what took so long on the review of the winning goal. Some guy asleep up in Canada? Not great hockey, but I enjoyed the game. A needed win for the road team.
                    Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 02-10-2018, 04:41 PM.
                    "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

• Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
                      There were probably not the 20 or so penalty calls that the Maverick play-by-play guys would have liked to have seen called against the Buckeyes, but there were a few that the refs let go by for sure. Crosby did seem to be screened on the winning goal and she had just made a huge save awhile before that. Not sure what took so long on the review of the winning goal. Some guy asleep up in Canada? Not great hockey, but I enjoyed the game. A needed win for the road team.
                      Referees missed many calls on both teams and were just letting them play. Mankato did a good job of keeping the shots to the outside perimeter making it easy for Crosby. Buckeyes have some work to do on their PP if they want to go deep into the playoffs. If they play Mankato in round one, it will be a challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
                        Referees missed many calls on both teams and were just letting them play. Mankato did a good job of keeping the shots to the outside perimeter making it easy for Crosby. Buckeyes have some work to do on their PP if they want to go deep into the playoffs. If they play Mankato in round one, it will be a challenge.
                        I was surprised at the Buckeye PP. MSU played a very aggressive kill, often sending two forwards to the point to harass the puck carrier. That should have opened plenty of passing opportunities but instead they kept taking low-percentage shots. At times it seemed OSU never organized & it was just 5 players skating around on their own. The Mavericks clogged the middle all the time & the Buckeyes never broke through that until the third goal, which was a PP goal, with a seeing-eye shot.

It was an odd game with a lot of individual play & occasionally sloppy. The refs seemed to only have one bean as they alternated calls the way Ludwig used to do.

Comment

I didn't see the game, so I am going to take everyone's word for it regarding how we played. I am definitely sure you are all correct about our power play, especially if we sent Peter Elander on a recruiting trip this weekend and he was not there. He is in charge of the power play. Anyway, honestly, after last night's loss, which was our fourth road loss in a row dating back to a loss in the second game vs Mercyhurst in Erie back in December, I am happy with the win. Thankfully, unlike college football where our team has to win every game by 40 points or they drop in the polls, there are no style points in college hockey. All that matters are the W's. A quick glance at the box score shows that the shots on goal battle was again won by Ohio State, 39-15. The Bucks outshot the Mavericks 15-3 in the first period but did not score. MSU came out and outshot Ohio State 10-8 in the second period and took a 2-1 lead into the second intermission. The Buckeyes weren't done and outshot Minnesota State 16-2 in the third period while scoring two goals to win 3-2. Buckeye goaltender Amanda Zeglen stopped 13 of the 15 shots she faced. Ohio State's All-American goaltender Kassidy Sauve was injured in the Wisconsin series last weekend and did not play this weekend, but should be ready to go against Bemidji next weekend. If not, she will definitely be in net for the first round of the playoffs vs the Mavericks. Chloe Crosby saved 36 of the 39 shots she faced. The Buckeyes won the face-off battle 30-22. The Maverick goals were scored by Rebekah Kolstad and Tristen Truax. Ohio State's goals were scored by Rebecca Freiburger, Charly Dahlquist, and Emma Maltais with the game-winner. The Mavericks will welcome in Minnesota-Duluth next weekend while Ohio State will host Bemidji for Senior Weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                            ...honestly, after last night's loss, which was our fourth road loss in a row dating back to a loss in the second game vs Mercyhurst in Erie back in December, I am happy with the win.
                            No kidding. So much better to leave town with a Saturday win than to get swept -- for many reasons. Perhaps most importantly, we got the "road losing streak" monkey off our backs prior to the post-season.

Thankfully, unlike college football where our team has to win every game by 40 points or they drop in the polls, there are no style points in college hockey. All that matters are the W's.
                            And the Quality Wins, the Bad Loses, and just maybe the Lunar Tides. But at least it is objective, and transparent to the statisticians. I do wish it was a little more transparent for the rest of us. I'd like to be 100% confident that those Lunar Tides really make no difference.

Buckeye goaltender Amanda Zeglen stopped 13 of the 15 shots she faced. Ohio State's All-American goaltender Kassidy Sauve was injured in the Wisconsin series last weekend and did not play this weekend, but should be ready to go against Bemidji next weekend. If not, she will definitely be in net for the first round of the playoffs vs the Mavericks.
                            Good experience for Amanda.

Didn't get the memo on Kassidy's injury. Not that I'm on that mailing list. Was she hurt during the 1st Period of the Saturday game? I remember one play where the puck came off the end boards at an insanely irregular angle. Kass got awkwardly stretched out as she scrambled to get back into position. But after a fairly brief injury stoppage, she continued on.

I didn't think that much more about it. But are we now saying that she played 2+ periods against the top ranked team in the country while injured, yet still shut them down?? That's positively inspirational. She's not just Goalie Woman, she's Wonder Woman.

Ohio State will host Bemidji for Senior Weekend.
                            Always a bittersweet occasion. But certainly there is already much to celebrate for this year's Seniors!

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                              Good experience for Amanda.

Didn't get the memo on Kassidy's injury. Not that I'm on that mailing list. Was she hurt during the 1st Period of the Saturday game? I remember one play where the puck came off the end boards at an insanely irregular angle. Kass got awkwardly stretched out as she scrambled to get back into position. But after a fairly brief injury stoppage, she continued on.

I didn't think that much more about it. But are we now saying that she played 2+ periods against the top ranked team in the country while injured, yet still shut them down?? That's positively inspirational. She's not just Goalie Woman, she's Wonder Woman.

Always a bittersweet occasion. But certainly there is already much to celebrate for this year's Seniors!
                              Yeah, I am glad we got Amanda in there for a couple more games. I think Kass was probably less than 100% last Saturday vs Wisconsin after that play you are talking about, so yeah, she shut down the top team in the country while playing hurt. Amanda played well for the most part this past weekend and in the games she played in last fall, going 3-1 vs Minnesota State (she was in net last fall when we swept them at home). I think it will turn out to be a blessing in disguise that Kassidy is getting some rest. I say play Amanda this weekend if Kass is not 100%. Don't want to take any chances with the playoffs coming up. A well-rested Kassidy Sauve will be bad news for opponents come playoff time. She should be ready to go in the playoffs if not this coming weekend vs Bemidji.

As for the seniors, I always miss them, but I am thankful they chose Ohio State and we had them for four years, or five in some cases. These past few senior classes are really special to me because they stuck it out through all the coaching changes and turmoil, and helped the current coaching staff build a solid foundation by being great leaders on and off the ice. This whole team is obviously very special this season. Regardless of how far they go in the tournaments or what their record ends up being, they are going to set some records this season that they can build on for next season, while also looking back and being proud of what they were able to accomplish in just the second season of this coaching staff. I am thrilled with Coach Nadine and hope she is here for a long time. It didn't take this guy long to realize how correct the Minnesota fans were when they said we got a good one! So, Pgb ... gotta ask, because there will be less people there so it will be easier to find you ... will you be at the Senior Banquet Thursday?

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                                So, Pgb ... gotta ask, because there will be less people there so it will be easier to find you ... will you be at the Senior Banquet Thursday?
                                I literally didn't know the Senior Brunch had become the Senior Banquet, much less that it was scheduled for Thursday! So no, I won't be there.

Back in the day, both OSU programs had year end Banquets, usually on a Saturday. The public was very much invited to those. My sense was that it when became the Senior Brunch, the event was really just for the players & their families. Maybe Coach Nadine has found the happy medium on this. If so, good for her.

We'll connect eventually... don't mean to be unfriendly... but also, don't underestimate the value of a Poster Pal.

Comment

Working...
                                X