• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: World Juniors - Buffalo 2018

Tre Kroner is next.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Empty net goal by Anderson. USA up 4-2 with 41 seconds left!

Comment

• Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
        Are you referring to 1982?
        Well, that would the only one. :-)

Again, read the earlier posts before we get into another discussion repeating everything.
        Russell Jaslow
        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Bring on the Swedes!!!’
          Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by icehawk View Post
            Bring on the Swedes!!!’
            Step 1 of 3 down for the brutal road to gold.

Team looked pretty good. Going to be another war on Thursday. Bellows stepped up big when they needed him. Need that from your veteran leadership.
            The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
            "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
            GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
            GO LAKERS!!!
            GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
            Oswego State '09

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
              Well, that would the only one. :-)

Again, read the earlier posts before we get into another discussion repeating everything.
              All 3 or 4 of them on page 7? Yeah I read them. And using an event from 35 years ago is probably not a good gauge of whether it would be successful today or not.
              Originally posted by SJHovey
              Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
              Originally posted by Brenthoven
              We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                All 3 or 4 of them on page 7? Yeah I read them. And using an event from 35 years ago is probably not a good gauge of whether it would be successful today or not.
                It has to be near Canada. That’s the bottom line. It bombed in Boston. It bombed in Alaska.

This year isn’t working because Toronto had it two of the past three years. Remember, the last time it was in Buffalo, it was a huge success.
                Russell Jaslow

Comment

It has to be near Canada. That’s the bottom line. It bombed in Boston. It bombed in Alaska.

This year isn’t working because Toronto had it two of the past three years. Remember, the last time it was in Buffalo, it was a huge success.
                  And prices. $50-$60 for 18 and 19 year olds that no one knows is too much. Cut it in half and you’ve got a better deal. How much do most D1’s cost? $20-25 I would guess?
                  The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                  "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                  GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                  GO LAKERS!!!
                  GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                  "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                  Oswego State '09

Comment

Here’s another interesting point. When Buffalo had it in 2011, the Golden Horseshoe had not had the tournament since 1986 (Hamilton, London, Toronto). So, those fans were HUNGRY for that tournament.

No wonder the tournament was so well attended then. And no wonder it’s not now when it’s been in the area three out of four years.
                    Russell Jaslow

Comment

• tourney did okay in Boston because it was marketed (or lack thereof), terribly.
                      if marketed well, this tourney would draw well in Boston.. just my .02.
                      With advance marketing, the holidays, the youth / college / family hockey scene... games would draw better than Buffalo for sure; & most definitely the marquee match ups would draw well.

Maybe get some sponsors upfront & lower the ticket prices a bit... this could work well in Boston. Maybe its wishful thinking on my part.. but that's my thinking... 😊
                      GO NU HOCKEY
                      Always bullish on the future.
                      We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by northeastern View Post
                        tourney did okay in Boston because it was marketed (or lack thereof), terribly.
                        if marketed well, this tourney would draw well in Boston.. just my .02.
                        With advance marketing, the holidays, the youth / college / family hockey scene... games would draw better than Buffalo for sure; & most definitely the marquee match ups would draw well.

Maybe get some sponsors upfront & lower the ticket prices a bit... this could work well in Boston. Maybe its wishful thinking on my part.. but that's my thinking... 😊
                        Wishful thinking... :-)

Non diehards just don’t know about this tourney.

And again, remember, it did very well in Buffalo in 2011. For some reason, people keep ignoring that fact.
                        Russell Jaslow

Comment

Wishful thinking... :-)

Non diehards just don’t know about this tourney.

And again, remember, it did very well in Buffalo in 2011. For some reason, people keep ignoring that fact.
                          Let's have it in Buffalo forever then! All the other cities be ****ed. Only Buffalo can successfully host and apparently only 50% of the time.
                          Originally posted by SJHovey
                          Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                          Originally posted by Brenthoven
                          We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

...It bombed in Alaska...
                            But you can get the Russian crowd in Alaska!!!
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                              Let's have it in Buffalo forever then! All the other cities be ****ed. Only Buffalo can successfully host and apparently only 50% of the time.
                              Oh, come on. Now you are just being a dick.

All I'm saying is Buffalo was not a bad choice. Circumstances this year made it a poor choice for this year. Starve the Golden Horseshoe of this tournament for a number of years, and Buffalo would be a good choice again.

But, it still needs to be near Canada. Detroit is a great option. Seattle might be. North Dakota again would be a great option. I just don't see it working in Pittsburgh (which did bid for it this year) or Tampa (which also bid for it this year). I also don't see it being a success in Boston or the Minneapolis area. Americans alone are just not going to pay the prices they are asking for when they can watch their own NHL team for similar costs. Maybe for the final two days, but that's it.
                              Last edited by Russell Jaslow; 01-03-2018, 08:51 AM.
                              Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                But you can get the Russian crowd in Alaska!!!
                                They just need binoculars to be able to see Alaska and the games...
                                Russell Jaslow

Comment

Working...
                                X