Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MICHIGAN TECH HUSKIES...2016-17 season. 96th season of hockey (continued, part 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MICHIGAN TECH HUSKIES...2016-17 season. 96th season of hockey (continued, part 2)

Originally posted by FloridaCat View Post
    When was the last time a league playoff championship game was played at MTU?
    Technically in 1976.

The WCHA playoff system in the 70's was a double bracket, two four team tournaments with the higher seed hosting a two game total goal series for two weeks. At the conclusion, each winner of the four team brackets advanced to the NCAA Final Four (wasn't renamed 'Frozen' until 1999). But since there was no conference tournament meeting between the two teams (each time from 1974-76 Tech and Minnesota met in the NCAA title game), neither team was recognized as the sole WCHA playoff champion. This will be the first time that game is played in Houghton.

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
      Looks like Mel's a much better coach tonight.
      Yes, nice to see he shortened the bench during crunch time, ride your horses. I said it before I will say it again; You are going to win big games when you win the special teams battle. 2 pp goals was the difference maker. Well done.

Comment

• Re: MICHIGAN TECH HUSKIES...2016-17 season. 96th season of hockey (continued, part 2)

Originally posted by UP-Power View Post
        Nice win!
        Never, first ever playoff championship.
        I hope they fill the place. I would be there if I didn't have a prior commitment, which ironically includes going to the BTN final game. I saw the attendance number but was that the real crowd size?

Comment

The community side was pretty packed. The student side half full. Some standing room. The number is probably pretty representative of the crowd size.

Comment

Originally posted by oldish husky View Post
            The community side was pretty packed. The student side half full. Some standing room. The number is probably pretty representative of the crowd size.
            I loved the big sign on the student side, "Stand up old people!" made my day.
            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

A few of my Mel show notable points.

Mel Pearson show notes:
              Really impressed with our team, credit to Shelast, 3 games in 3 days. Both teams had good pace/energy level on Sunday.
              Several people came forwards and donated youth tickets, Mel thanked each of them, great to have people in the community and around our program.
              We don't set ticket prices, that's the league. Mel has bone to pick with them to work on that at league meetings.

Had team come in at noon Sunday, gave them more time, with Game 3 and losing an hour
              Mel is always trying to read what team needs, rest, pushed, pulled etc
              Mel gave a shoutout to his friend John B and Michigan basketball. The plane adversity and winning the B1G tourney.
              You could see we had the energy on Sunday. We only made the one change. Our depth is getting tested due to injuries, no Steman/Baltus, credit to our team.

Mel didn't see the first too many men initially. But fans started yelling, and refs made the call. Thanks to fans.

Are Penn State/Ohio State on NC radar?
              Yes and no. Would prefer in state MI schools. Penn State doesn't want to travel too much. Look at their schedule. Not sure either would come to the UP.

Question related to unsung heros:
              Watson, doesn't get the points, bus is great.
              Ray Brice, Evan Anderson, Kero, come and compete everyday. Push our guys to be better. They do a great job.

Let captains choose Sunday jersey - they went with gold.

Dirk putt off NCAA tourney questions that were coming in.
              Did speak to the fact Mel is on selection committee. Tomorrow conference call, go over regional assignment, review ticket sales etc. If your team is involved you have to remove yourself that Saturday night for seeding/locations.

General Admission are now on sale. Suites are sold out. Some reserved still available.

It'll be one of bigger MTU Hockey games in awhile. This isn't just about our team, it's about out student body to experience a game like this. Knew we've had Bball games etc in past, fantastic to have events like this.

Comment

All available seats sold out nutty fast by lunchtime today - a good chunk of standing room already is gone as well - any unsold season tickets will be available at noon Wednesday but I decided not to count on it, bought the standing room tix. Yesterday's game was awesome to watch, hoping for that effort level against BG. The place will be sold out for sure.
                Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                  And we stood as instructed without any offense taken.

Comment

• Originally posted by oldish husky View Post
                    And we stood as instructed without any offense taken.
                    Stood, and then cheered! Kudos to our old people!

Comment

Gavin Gould has quietly had a heck of a freshman year. 10 goals, 21 points? Very nice.

I say this because I wasn't aware of it prior to his hat trick last weekend.

Comment

Barring a last minute reprieve, neither TV6 nor FoxUP will be airing the game on Saturday.

The station could not get clearance from either Fox or NBC to preempt network programming. I'd be so happy in the UP to be watching motocross racing from Indianapolis or a repeat of "Fast & Furious 5" instead of hockey.

That does mean that the webstream will be audio from WKMJ, so those of you who missed Dirk's call on the last TV game will get him back for the big one.

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                          "...the Old People are standing up to them..."
                          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

I wish I could be there, instead, I'll be listening to Dirk on my phone at a Wedding in Wisconsin, I mean, seriously?! Who has a wedding in March, in Wisconsin?! If they weren't family, I'd probably find a way not to go.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                              Barring a last minute reprieve, neither TV6 nor FoxUP will be airing the game on Saturday.

The station could not get clearance from either Fox or NBC to preempt network programming. I'd be so happy in the UP to be watching motocross racing from Indianapolis or a repeat of "Fast & Furious 5" instead of hockey.

That does mean that the webstream will be audio from WKMJ, so those of you who missed Dirk's call on the last TV game will get him back for the big one.
                              Anyone approach WNMU PBS TV13?

Carried UP wide on Charter, available in most non-Charter cable communities, simulcast on DirecTV, available with an antenna over a good portion of the UP.

It may be too late to pre-empt their programming though.
                              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                                Anyone approach WNMU PBS TV13?

Carried UP wide on Charter, available in most non-Charter cable communities, simulcast on DirecTV, available with an antenna over a good portion of the UP.

It may be too late to pre-empt their programming though.
                                I don't see how they would even pay for the $500 league fee to carry the game. Nothing in it for them at all anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X