This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
    Following mookie’s weekend in Bangkok in three, he will be spending the weekend following that in Istanbul.
    https://youtu.be/Wcze7EGorOk
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
      that will always be They Might Be Giants for mookie
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
        that will always be They Might Be Giants for mookie
        OK, then

https://youtu.be/vsQrKZcYtqg
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Came down to Istanbul or Bucharest for that weekend. Romania will have to wait for the next time (well after Addis Ababa).

Comment

• Re: Travel Part 3: Destination Unknown

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post

Came down to Istanbul or Bucharest for that weekend. Romania will have to wait for the next time (well after Addis Ababa).
            Had a pretty hairy weekend in Istanbul. Wouldn't step out too far with the locals.
            Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
              Had a pretty hairy weekend in Istanbul. Wouldn't step out too far with the locals.
              step out far away from the city?

mookie goes to a city. walks around and looks at stuff. then sits in a café or bar or restaurant or coffee shop with his book and reads while eating and drinking. learns how to say "no" and "thank you" in the local language so if they don't speak engrish it's all good.

Comment

Hawaii (Big Island) may not be a good place to visit in the near future. Then again, if you like lava, it could be.

http://nbc4dc.com/80BEooW
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Hawaii (Big Island) may not be a good place to visit in the near future. Then again, if you like lava, it could be.

http://nbc4dc.com/80BEooW
                  Yikes. The park is awesome- visited last March and easily one of the coolest things I’ve done

Comment

mookie goes to a city. walks around and looks at stuff. then sits in a café or bar or restaurant or coffee shop with his book and reads while eating and drinking. learns how to say "no" and "thank you" in the local language so if they don't speak engrish it's all good.
                    Consider a walk on Istiklal then down the hill along some winding streets of small merchant shops to the Galata Bridge and over it into the old city. Not a long walk and very pleasant. You are an experienced traveler, though, so you probably keep it very simple.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      One of the reasons Norway was so interesting is that it’s one of the few countries in Europe I haven’t made it to yet.
                      Norway is awesome, but if you're only going to be there for a couple days, item number 1A to see are the fjords, and Oslo is not ideal for that. You really can't go wrong with visiting Stavanger, Bergen or Trondheim, but I've only been to Bergen. Loved it. Simply one of the most scenic, beautiful places I have ever seen.

If you're interested in a more urban, city experience, and that's why you were looking at Oslo, I actually liked Stockholm much more than Oslo, for a city experience in Scandinavia. Not sure if you've been to Sweden before though.
                      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                        I've only been to Bergen. Loved it. Simply one of the most scenic, beautiful places I have ever seen.
                        That is on my bucket list. My Norwegian (er, Norse?) ancestor came from Bergen. I don't suppose they'll take me on a work visa after Dumpy declares martial law? "Can you sing?" "Yeah. I can dance a little."
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Haven’t been to any Nordic countries. Norway was high on the lost because of my ancestry. Only country left I haven’t visited.

Flights to Bergen are tough but I’ll see what I can find.
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Flying into Oslo in 2 weeks to meet family for a vacation. My sister was able to get a flight from Bergen to Minneapolis at the end of our trip so they at least exist if that's what you are looking for.
                            In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
                            I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

I'd stick around the major downtown area...esp after dark. But it sounds like your set up for a very fascinating visit.
                              Go Gophers!

Comment

Mookie is on suleyman Seba caddesi. Will be up the road to taksim sq too. Venture down to the water and take a ferry here and there.

Trick will be avoiding the Nero and Starbucks near the hotel and finding local Turkish coffee joints.

Turkish evisa is a snap. $20 of course
                                But took less than 5 minutes.

Comment

Working...
                                X